Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pruning citrus trees

Wikiposts

Pruning citrus trees

Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:01 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pruning citrus trees

Can anyone help please... when is the best time to prune and shape my young (3 years) citrus trees?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pruning citrus trees

Originally Posted by JnK
Can anyone help please... when is the best time to prune and shape my young (3 years) citrus trees?
From my RHS guidebook, citrus trees can stand severe pruning!
Having said that, it would appear that all you need do is as per many shrubs:
-cut out any inward growing branches to allow light into the centre
-prune out any awkward/misshapen growing branches
-prune to your desired shape

Best done before spring, after any risk of likely frost.

I've got a few 2yr old bitter orange trees grown from pips (we have to go to France to buy our Seville oranges for marmalade since they don't market them here!) & I'll probably leave them be for another couple of years or so.

Hope that's some help.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by my Spanish neighbour to prune all fruit trees early January before the sap rises. Just going out to do my lemon tree now. Nectarine and plum done last week. I have been doing this for the last four to five years and always have an abundance of fruit.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I was told by my Spanish neighbour to prune all fruit trees early January before the sap rises. Just going out to do my lemon tree now. Nectarine and plum done last week. I have been doing this for the last four to five years and always have an abundance of fruit.
Local knowledge is always best, though sometimes tempered by common sense or even science!
Here many prune when the moon is "menguante" (waning), such as now. Sometimes one doesn't always need to prune.
Frost is the big decider. Obviously down south is different to here in the north, but having said that, local temperatures must be the key to deciding what's best.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:42 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone... I feel a pruning session coming on
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I know people say that now is the time to do it but it seems wrong when;
  • There is still loads of fruit on them
  • There is loads of blossom
Does it not affect next years (this years) yield?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I know people say that now is the time to do it but it seems wrong when;
  • There is still loads of fruit on them
  • There is loads of blossom
Does it not affect next years (this years) yield?
Blossom & fruit now?
Which trees?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

We have a lemon tree with fruit and flowers on. Had first lemon in GandT this week.

We also have a fabulous "Jaffa" Ornage tree with loads of fruit that will , as usual, last us to March. Can't see any flowers on that one though. Oh and we are well above the 1000 foot cut off point for growing citrus.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Blossom & fruit now?
Which trees?
All our orange trees are in flower and in fruit (sweet, blood and seville oranges). Also, lemon trees around here are in fruit and in flower.

We've just picked our seville (sour) oranges and some lemons so are in full 'English Marmalade' production again.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

They may be flowering now but that is probably because of the variety. There are late and early varieties. The normal orange will not flower until the spring and fruit just before Xmas. Other varieties, such as the famous "Valencia Late" are different.

Lemons are much the same unless it is the "Lunar" lemon which flowers and crops throughout the year.

You also sometimes get a phantom flowering. We have a Mandarina which flowers in spring and fruits in winter but it flowered again profusely in November!

I would only prune oranges to open up the centre if they get too dense but lemons can get very straggly and need pruning to keep the shape under control.

It's also worth remembering that most citrus are grafted onto different root stock and you sometimes get prolific shoots from low down below the graft. These should be removed as soon as they appear - it's like the suckers you get on roses for the same reason.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 9th 2013 at 2:30 am.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:51 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I recall an orange tree in the Canaries which produced fruit all the year round.
At any one time part would be in flower, part in early stage of fruit development and part producing ripe fruit.

I can only presume it was done by grafting, as is the case with one near here which produces both lemons and oranges from the same tree.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

At the risk of terminal drift, why do the trunks get painted white ?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Ants don't like crossing white paint.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I don't know if Michael is being extracted. I would have believed rats.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:18 am

No, apparently it works. Personally I use a band of grease around the trunk or the sticky double sided tape that you can buy. Both of those solutions definitely work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.