Reload this Page >

Proposed new 500metre law in Calpe

Proposed new 500metre law in Calpe

Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

shipyards is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proposed new 500metre law in Calpe

Hi,
Has anyone heard about new proposed law protecting sea front/ beach in Calpe, a 500 metre exclusion zone which proposes that any building, apartment block ,maybe subjected to being demolished even being built before this law going into force.
Very worried !!!!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proposed new 500metre law in Calpe

Originally Posted by shipyards
Hi,
Has anyone heard about new proposed law protecting sea front/ beach in Calpe, a 500 metre exclusion zone which proposes that any building, apartment block ,maybe subjected to being demolished even being built before this law going into force.
Very worried !!!!
it's not just Calpe, it's all along the coast
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:59 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

...and it's not a new law. As I understand it dates back to 1988 but was, of course, blithely ignored...until now.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
...and it's not a new law. As I understand it dates back to 1988 but was, of course, blithely ignored...until now.
there are so many properties within those limits - I wonder who will be brave enough to enforce it
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
there are so many properties within those limits - I wonder who will be brave enough to enforce it
I think the Spanish authorities have already demonstrated that they are not shy of enforcing these rules, even retrospectively
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:08 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think the Spanish authorities have already demonstrated that they are not shy of enforcing these rules, even retrospectively
If they can seize part of the property of Antonio Banderas then lesser mortals should be trembling in their flip flops...
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
They are doing it near us, even the Chiringuitos are having to apply for new licences and moving to different places.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
They are doing it near us, even the Chiringuitos are having to apply for new licences and moving to different places.
it's scary really

I wonder if it applies to the port areas?

most of our port would disappear
Old Aug 29th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shipyards
Hi,
Very worried !!!!
As already mentioned, its legislation that affects the whole coast line not just Calpe. It covers the first 100 metres from the highest tide point. The law was introduced in 1988 with a 20 year "grace" period. Theoretically, after that time ownership of properties within the 100 metres catchment that were built before 1988 will "revert" to the state with a period of continued use by the original owners, which can be extended for as much as 60 years. Those properties built ("illegally") on the protected area since 1988 can now be subject to demolition orders. As I understand it the process of defining the exact extent of the protected areas is naturally a very contentious issue and is not yet complete for the whole of Spain's coastline and until that time its unlikely that very much will happen.
iant
Old Aug 29th 2009, 7:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by iant
As already mentioned, its legislation that affects the whole coast line not just Calpe. It covers the first 100 metres from the highest tide point. The law was introduced in 1988 with a 20 year "grace" period. Theoretically, after that time ownership of properties within the 100 metres catchment that were built before 1988 will "revert" to the state with a period of continued use by the original owners, which can be extended for as much as 60 years. Those properties built ("illegally") on the protected area since 1988 can now be subject to demolition orders. As I understand it the process of defining the exact extent of the protected areas is naturally a very contentious issue and is not yet complete for the whole of Spain's coastline and until that time its unlikely that very much will happen.
iant
ah - so only 100m

the port must be fairly safe then, although I wonder how many buildings were built within that since 1988

I know that the ayuntamiento run (owned?) sea museum definitely was - and it's definitely within the 100m!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

this is a total minefield. my dream in spain, when we sell up inland was to move into a nice complex, communal areas etc, with direct access onto the beach. but reading these stories, does that mean that one day, whether sooner or later, the big bad wolf is going to come along, no matter what?
this really goes well over my head, honestly. how can something thats been legally built, say over 20 years ago, have to fall into line with a new law that is supposed to curtail further development?!? ok, i understand the illegal building situation, but jeezus, this is nuts.
there are some beautiful big houses, for example, right on the shoreline in denia, and they have obviously been there a fair few years, are they all going to get the chop? what are they going to do with the land afterwards? plant some sand dunes???
makes me think i'd be better investing on the south coast of england.....or more to the point, not in spain
DD
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Our local paper (Coastrider) is reporting that -

"Reprieve for owners of beach homes"

It appears to revolve around "public domain concessions" - and recognises peoples rights for properties built before the 1988 law was introduced.

Unfortunately they have not put it up onto their web site.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving through Altea earlier and I noticed a newbuild hotel and huge property complex right on the coast, just before the motorway. It went up in the last 2 or 3 years. If properties like that come down there will bge a real furore, as presumably all those properties are legal as far as the owners are concerned
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:08 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving through Altea earlier and I noticed a newbuild hotel and huge property complex right on the coast, just before the motorway. It went up in the last 2 or 3 years. If properties like that come down there will bge a real furore, as presumably all those properties are legal as far as the owners are concerned
There is a slight problem with this little place.