Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property Tax for Non-Residents... Warning!

Property Tax for Non-Residents... Warning!

Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:37 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Tax for Non-Residents... Warning!

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I am in the process of selling in the next week, do I still have to pay or can i get away with it??
Assuming you are selling as a non-resident (which your posts would suggest) then you will have the 3% retention held back against CGT liabilities. In practice, this can be used to pay off (or withheld until you've paid) all your back taxes...so...whether you actually WANT to get away with it probably depends on the figures involved
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Property Tax for Non-Residents... Warning!

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Assuming you are selling as a non-resident (which your posts would suggest) then you will have the 3% retention held back against CGT liabilities. In practice, this can be used to pay off (or withheld until you've paid) all your back taxes...so...whether you actually WANT to get away with it probably depends on the figures involved
The Notary is required to satisfy himself and the purchser that all property related taxes have been paid and if they have not then this will be taken from the retention. This used to be ignored in the past but these days I think you will find the Notary will ask the solicitors for each party that all taxes are up to date.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:46 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Knowing that Patsy lived here for a while, I assume that she was, and can still claim to be, resident.

This being the case, you won't have to pay the 3%.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Knowing that Patsy lived here for a while, I assume that she was, and can still claim to be, resident.

This being the case, you won't have to pay the 3%.
Depends whether she was a fiscal resident i.e. paying her taxes in Spain
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:56 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

As patsywhitehair says she's about to pay her non resident's tax, I assumed she was non resident for the tax year in question! And she hasn't yet sold...
Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
myself and partner have just received an e mail from our solicitor in Spain to say it is now time to pay our non residents tax, its 368 euros (thats for the two of us).pat