British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Property Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/property-insurance-944476/)

Golfer2020 Jun 22nd 2022 6:20 pm

Property Insurance

Hi,
Can anyone recommend an insurance company for building and contents. We have almost finished buying an apartment near Estapona and it's just one of the many TTD items.
Thanks in advance.

spainrico Jun 22nd 2022 7:06 pm

Re: Property Insurance

Well given the Sabadell renewal premiums were a joke - up 20% on last year and GES and Allianz were a joke also I went with Liberty - running offers for new clients - I went through a broker.

VEDShappy Jun 22nd 2022 7:08 pm

Personal experience, I would NOT recommend Sabadell insurances.
No problems with the banking side.

Ronnyone Jun 22nd 2022 9:35 pm

Mafre. Ex wife had bag stolen last week with keys. Phoned Mafre and a locksmith changed her lock and building lock plus 20 keys within a couple of hours. All on basic insurance policy.

lyric030250 Jun 22nd 2022 10:56 pm

I have no complaints with Liberty Seguros. Three Buildings claims thus far (13 years) absolutely no discussion, claims just settled in full.

Loafing Along Jun 24th 2022 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Ronnyone (Post 13123735)
Mafre. Ex wife had bag stolen last week with keys. Phoned Mafre and a locksmith changed her lock and building lock plus 20 keys within a couple of hours. All on basic insurance policy.

Could not agree more - generally excellent service when needed .Similar experience with Mapfre when we had a break-in

Golfer2020 Jun 24th 2022 10:17 am

Dear All,
Thanks for sharing the information, I can now sort the insurance without taking a punt. 👍😊

Alfonsocolli Jun 27th 2022 7:42 am

Linea Directa

Barriej Jun 27th 2022 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Golfer2020 (Post 13123688)
Hi,
Can anyone recommend an insurance company for building and contents. We have almost finished buying an apartment near Estapona and it's just one of the many TTD items.
Thanks in advance.

Id give Liberty or Linea Direct a go.

Never claimed from either but they priced similar and offered the same sort of levels.
I have claimed from Linea on a breakdown with the car and had no problems and it was sorted very quickly (and my premiums have only risen by €1 this year)

jonboy Jun 27th 2022 7:44 pm

If Golfer2020 is buying an apartment, would the buildings insurance not be included in the normal Community Charges?

DLC Jun 27th 2022 8:15 pm

Only for damage to those parts of the building which belong to the community instead of anyone's flat, e.g. some kind of leak through an outer wall/roof.

If there were a burst pipe in your flat and you didn't have home insurance then you wouldn't be covered.

SanNico Jun 28th 2022 6:53 am

Originally Posted by VEDShappy (Post 13123702)
Personal experience, I would NOT recommend Sabadell insurances.
No problems with the banking side.

I'll second that. We had to claim for a mobile phone. Initially they wanted the police report and receipt, no problem. Then they messed around and said they needed a picture of the owner holding the phone. A few weeks passed and they said they wouldn't pay out because no violence was involved despite the police report stating threats with a knife were made. After a few months they paid out but the hassle was horrendous.
This year we're trying BBVA at a third of the cost. Hopefully we won't need to use it.

Barriej Jun 28th 2022 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 13125101)
If Golfer2020 is buying an apartment, would the buildings insurance not be included in the normal Community Charges?

Nope apartment blocks have a policy that only covers the public parts or certain types of damage.

Ours has an extra that we contribute to for rebuilding costs if the building was to be demolished...
Not that it helps as we would still have to find somewhere to live should this happen and that's not covered.

Golfer2020 Jun 28th 2022 9:34 am

Thanks this post is proving very useful for a first time buyer in Spain :-)

UKMS Jun 29th 2022 6:21 am

I recently used these for a quote. They returned me a quote from Liberty Seguros and very competitive.

They are base in Alicante but will quote nationally.

https://www.easycover.net/en/