Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property, car and health questions!

Property, car and health questions!

Old May 28th 2011, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

elmikeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property, car and health questions!

Hi Guys,

Myself, my wife, my daughter and my dog are making the move to Spain in the future, and I have a few questions I hope some of you kind folks could help with!

We intend to rent an apartment in Spain, how easy is this to organise? What paperwork do you need? How long does it take? What fees are involved? Can we do it as soon as we arrive? Or view then line it up for 2 weeks leter or something?

How do you go about purchasing a car in Spain? what do you need paperwork wise?

How does the health system work? Do we need insurance? What is the cost?

How do you register your child for schools? Are they religious, state or private?

Is there any other information I need to know before making the big move?

I look forward to you replies,

Best wishes and thanks in advance for the help,

Mike
Old May 28th 2011, 7:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property, car and health questions!

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old May 28th 2011, 10:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There are many books on the subject - may I suggest you read at least one.

On another subject, the Concierges for the Spanish section of BE are putting the same notice on every post - might I enquire why as it doesn´t seem to add anything to the thread. Why not pm the person?

Davexf
Old May 29th 2011, 6:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmikeo
Hi Guys,

Myself, my wife, my daughter and my dog are making the move to Spain in the future, and I have a few questions I hope some of you kind folks could help with!

We intend to rent an apartment in Spain, how easy is this to organise? What paperwork do you need? How long does it take? What fees are involved? Can we do it as soon as we arrive? Or view then line it up for 2 weeks leter or something?

both are possible

NIE as a bare minimum

it depends if you are employed/self employed/getting a UK pension

How do you register your child for schools? Are they religious, state or private?

go to the local ayuntamiento - all 3 types of school are available

probably tons

Mike
Hi & welcome

I've given brief answers to your questions in red - the full answers to all your questions are answered in great detail already on the forum - have a good search & a great read
Old May 29th 2011, 9:18 am
Just Joined

elmikeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help so far, and also for the warm welcome!

Where can I find out more information on renting a property in Spain?

Best wishes,

Mike
Old May 29th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

There are many books on the subject - may I suggest you read at least one.

On another subject, the Concierges for the Spanish section of BE are putting the same notice on every post - might I enquire why as it doesn´t seem to add anything to the thread. Why not pm the person?

Davexf
I think its a nice friendly welcome for new members.
Old May 29th 2011, 9:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf

Davexf
It's not on every post, it is a friendly welcome to new members, which is a courtesy well overdue in the Spanish forum. If you hadn't noticed, it happens all over the BE forums, and has done for some time. I'm surprised you felt the need to question it

I, and the administrators are extremely happy and appreciative that The Oddities take the time to do this.
Old May 29th 2011, 9:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmikeo
Hi Guys,

Mike
Kyero.com have long term rentals. Other than that if you look in the estate agents in the area you are going to, they often have rentals in the windows. Iirc there are rental apartments in Oliva for instance at €350 a month. If you go through an agent they often ask for up to 3 months rent (deposit, security etc)

When I purchased my car I needed my padron, NIE, and house details (as well as passport) .... in your case it will be a rental agreement. I have heard said over the last year that some have been asked for their "residencia", or foreigners certificate. Normally the seller will arrange all the transfer papers and make sure it's registered in your name. Mine did, and it cost him €150

You need to speak to the DWP Newcastle about your health cover, as you are not pensioners. You will be able to get up to 2 years Spanish state cover when you come over with a temporary card, but after that you're on your own. You can take out private cover (Sanitas for instance) which is much cheaper than in the UK, or for instance in Valencia region you can pay in to the state system, but it's not cheap.

Re schools, I'm not the best person to ask as I dont have kids here, but you have to register via the local town hall, and iirc you have to do it quite early in the year.

So immediate necessity is your NIE number, and probably a bank account
Old May 29th 2011, 10:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a quick read of the responses and do not think that anyone has covered the dog who will need all the injections etc for the pet passport. I know nothing about this process but you should find details in Free Beer at the top of this page.

Rosemary
Old May 29th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you go through an agent they often ask for up to 3 months rent (deposit, security etc)
Maybe you have meant it in a different way, but.....

It is extremely important for people to know that it is ILLEGAL (in no uncertain terms) to request more than 1 month's rent in advance.

It should also be noted, that the deposit for residential properties is set a 1 month's rent MAXIMUM. For commercial properties, it can be 2 months.

For anyone in doubt, I suggest they read the ONLY correct information on renting property........ L.A.U. .......... the law which governs renting property in Spain.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados

It is extremely important for people to know that it is ILLEGAL (in no uncertain terms) to request more than 1 month's rent in advance.

It should also be noted, that the deposit for residential properties is set a 1 month's rent MAXIMUM. For commercial properties, it can be 2 months.

For anyone in doubt, I suggest they read the ONLY correct information on renting property........ L.A.U. .......... the law which governs renting property in Spain.
yes, it's illegal

but it doesn't stop agents asking for/insisting upon it

and it doesn't stop people paying it
Old May 29th 2011, 5:25 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by avocados

I meant it in the way I said it .... unfortunately it is what happens, and if you want a place bad enough either you fall in, or you do something about it and lose the place.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:30 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's fairly easy to rent a property in Spain, there are thousands available. Buying a car is much the same, but they are hellishly expensive here. Bringing the dog won't be a problem, but you need to get all the necessary papers in the UK.

The big problem is bringing a child to Spain. You need to do very careful research on the subject, area and requirements. There are some bad schools here in bad areas and foreign children are not always welcome. Apart from the problem with the language, your child may not like the food either.

In previous years more younger expats came to Spain with children, but not so much now, not with the ridiculous unemployment levels. Actually getting your child into school is easy, you apply to the local town hall and fill in some forms; but you need to know what you're signing your child up for.