Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proof of income for residency

Proof of income for residency

Old May 15th 2012, 12:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by Domino
this doesn't make sense, the NIE number is "for life" and since when did someone worry about a piece of paper being out of date.
It makes a lot of sense as it has nothing to do with the NIE number. As I understand it it's the old residency card that is out of date and they won't accept it any more than they would accept an out of date passport.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It makes a lot of sense as it has nothing to do with the NIE number. As I understand it it's the old residency card that is out of date and they won't accept it any more than they would accept an out of date passport.
& apparently if you want to buy a car, they won't accept a non-res NIE - only a resident cert
Old May 15th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Then why did my present bank accept it along with my Padron to open a bank account?
Old May 15th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I also posted on another expat site and got this reply.

The certificate of registation must be issued IMMEDIATELY. No delay. There is no provision for delay in the rules pertaining to this. If you request one, they must provide it at the very least on the same day. 3 months is ridiculous. So are demands for all kinds of additional, unspecified, documentation. This is what the regulation actually says:

"The supporting documents required by the competent authorities for the issuing of a registration certificate or of a residence card should be comprehensively specified in order to avoid divergent administrative practices or interpretations constituting an undue obstacle to the exercise of the right of residence by Union citizens and their family members"

This is from the directive itself:

1. Without prejudice to Article 5(5), for periods of residence longer than three months, the host Member State may require Union citizens to register with the relevant authorities. 2. The deadline for registration may not be less than three months from the date of arrival. A registration certificate shall be issued immediately, stating the name and address of the person registering and the date of the registration. Also:

3. For the registration certificate to be issued, Member States may only require that

– Union citizens to whom point (a) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or passport, a confirmation of engagement from the employer or a certificate of employment, or proof that they are self-employed persons;
– Union citizens to whom point (b) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or passport and provide proof that they satisfy the conditions laid down therein;
Spain is currently failing in every respect on this issue.

Point (a) concerns those in employment or self-employed, point (b) relates to those in retirement or of independent means. Those below retirement age can be asked for proof of private medical cover, and all can be asked to demonstrate that they will not "become a burden on the social security system".
Old May 15th 2012, 12:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I also posted on another expat site and got this reply.

The certificate of registation must be issued IMMEDIATELY. No delay. There is no provision for delay in the rules pertaining to this. If you request one, they must provide it at the very least on the same day. 3 months is ridiculous. So are demands for all kinds of additional, unspecified, documentation. This is what the regulation actually says:

"The supporting documents required by the competent authorities for the issuing of a registration certificate or of a residence card should be comprehensively specified in order to avoid divergent administrative practices or interpretations constituting an undue obstacle to the exercise of the right of residence by Union citizens and their family members"

This is from the directive itself:

1. Without prejudice to Article 5(5), for periods of residence longer than three months, the host Member State may require Union citizens to register with the relevant authorities. 2. The deadline for registration may not be less than three months from the date of arrival. A registration certificate shall be issued immediately, stating the name and address of the person registering and the date of the registration. Also:

3. For the registration certificate to be issued, Member States may only require that

– Union citizens to whom point (a) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or passport, a confirmation of engagement from the employer or a certificate of employment, or proof that they are self-employed persons;
– Union citizens to whom point (b) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or passport and provide proof that they satisfy the conditions laid down therein;
Spain is currently failing in every respect on this issue.

Point (a) concerns those in employment or self-employed, point (b) relates to those in retirement or of independent means. Those below retirement age can be asked for proof of private medical cover, and all can be asked to demonstrate that they will not "become a burden on the social security system".
which is probably why they are cancelling appointments until they have decided exactly what documentation will be acceptable for part 3 - if you don't actually see anyone, then they can't refuse to give you a cert............
Old May 15th 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

purpleflower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
which is probably why they are cancelling appointments until they have decided exactly what documentation will be acceptable for part 3 - if you don't actually see anyone, then they can't refuse to give you a cert............
Good point lynnxa
Old May 15th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by purpleflower
Good point lynnxa
Well I saw someone and he refused me. Just one further point, I can understand if someone who has just arrived and wants residencia has to fulfil further conditions but if you already have it then why should you need to then produce further "information"?
Old May 15th 2012, 1:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

Yes, that's the whole point. What you have quoted is the EU directive which does allow states to ask for proof of income and health cover.

As I said earlier, Spain chose not to ask for this when they implemented the directive in 2007. They have now brought in those requirements but as the whole thing was done in such a hurry - a couple of weeks between deciding to do it and the law actually coming into effect, there is no way they will have sorted out even the paperwork changes, let alone defining exactly what the income requirements are.

As a result it is going to create a huge number of problems not to mention the problems which will inevitably occur when the instructions are finally issued and each office takes it upon themselves to interpret them differently.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

For those of you that would like to get the certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union, I can now confirm that it can still be attained simply be providing passport and padron for EU citizens (Las Palmas Province).

This is very important news as many people will probably want to achieve "residence" status before any further rules are enforced.

Additional point is that new NIE are also being issued for this purpose (some www are stating the opposite). I am a "Y" rather than an "X". New sequence started recently.

Obviously it varies from place to place, but if it benfits you, go for it now!

Final point, after almost 10 years off grid I have succumbed to the superior powers lol. My reasons for doing so are more to do with my OH and his status, rather than my own. We are in the unfortunate position of being TOO WELL KNOWN is our town/locality. I couldn't be anon any longer.

Good luck to everyone else that wished to remain FREE.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by avocados
For those of you that would like to get the certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union, I can now confirm that it can still be attained simply be providing passport and padron for EU citizens (Las Palmas Province).

This is very important news as many people will probably want to achieve "residence" status before any further rules are enforced.

Additional point is that new NIE are also being issued for this purpose (some www are stating the opposite). I am a "Y" rather than an "X". New sequence started recently.

Final point, after almost 10 years off grid I have succumbed to the superior powers lol. My reasons for doing so are more to do with my OH and his status, rather than my own. We are in the unfortunate position of being TOO WELL KNOWN is our town/locality. I couldn't be anon any longer.

Thanks for that. I have just renewed my Padron so will try again.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by avocados

Can you explain the difference? I am a Y
Old May 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by pixieve
Can you explain the difference? I am a Y
it's just the next letter to X - the number on mine is preceded by an X

quite a lot of my students who haven't been here very long (less than a couple of years) have a Y
Old May 16th 2012, 2:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

mine issued in Jan is of course a "Y"
the BH who has been here 3 years is also a "Y"
Old May 16th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's just the next letter to X - the number on mine is preceded by an X

quite a lot of my students who haven't been here very long (less than a couple of years) have a Y
ah ok, i thought maybe they stood for something!!
Old May 16th 2012, 2:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Domino
mine issued in Jan is of course a "Y"
the BH who has been here 3 years is also a "Y"
I wonder exactly when it changed??

I just looked at the letters on my students' numbers & tried to remember how long they've been here - if your BH has had hers for 3 years then some of them have been here longer than I realised!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.