Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Process to claim UK state pension after working in Spain

Process to claim UK state pension after working in Spain

Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process to claim UK state pension after working in Spain

I'm absolutely certain that this thread already exists but I can't find it so apologies for the duplication.

I'm British, I left the UK in 2004 and I have 31 years there with full NI contributions. I turn 65 in January 2019 and my state pension is due in May 2019.

I've worked in Spain every year from 2005 to present in part time language teaching jobs. Often the contracts have been temporary with very few hours and with large breaks for the "school holidays". Often the employers have lied about the number of hours I have worked in order to minimise their Social Security payments. I have no idea how many "full years" I have in Spain. My Spanish pension, if there is one would be due in September or October 2019.

Does anyone know what is the process to follow to claim my pension and when?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process to claim UK state pension after working in Spain

Worth a look here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#pensions

and you are going to need to visit your local INSS office.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Worth a look here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#pensions

and you are going to need to visit your local INSS office.
Hi from the France forum where the procedure is the same. You apply for your Pension in the Social Security Agency of the last country where you worked, about 6 months before it's due. You give the employee your NI number and the UK dossier will come up on the computer and he/she will know straight away whether you've done enough full years in Spain.
When it's all processed, your UK and Spanish Pensions will be paid separately, pro rata.
P.S. Sorry, I should have replied directly to the OP!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit vague there. I'd looked at a few websites and I thought I'd have to go to the INSS people but I wasn't sure about the timing and about any initial paperwork I might need. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
I'm absolutely certain that this thread already exists but I can't find it so apologies for the duplication.

I'm British, I left the UK in 2004 and I have 31 years there with full NI contributions. I turn 65 in January 2019 and my state pension is due in May 2019.

I've worked in Spain every year from 2005 to present in part time language teaching jobs. Often the contracts have been temporary with very few hours and with large breaks for the "school holidays". Often the employers have lied about the number of hours I have worked in order to minimise their Social Security payments. I have no idea how many "full years" I have in Spain. My Spanish pension, if there is one would be due in September or October 2019.

Does anyone know what is the process to follow to claim my pension and when?
I assume you are a permanent Spanish resident and therefore you will need to process everything through your local INSS , a further point for a spanish pension you need a minimum of 15 years employment and September/October 2019 would only give you 14 years from 2005. Important that you get your hands on your Vida Laboral . This link : https://w6.seg-social.es/ProsaIntern...IDAPP=SINC0003
That will show all your working days in Spain when contributuions have been made and is the basis on which a Spanish pension is calculated. Remember, if you were unemployed at any time and claimed benefit ( Paro ) those days also count as the SS pays your contributions at the minimum level. Worthwhile checking exactly what is recorded. If you are paying contributions in Spain noiw worthwhile considering two years of Paro before you retire as that will take you past the 15 year requirement.
With or without your Vida Laboral you will need to visit your local INSS as you will be required to complete paperwork demonstrating your full work history, including UK, and they will coordiante the payment of your UK pension to a Spanish bank ( you can change this later by contacting the UK Social Security International office in Wolverhampton).
Old Nov 16th 2018, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that link to the vida laboral