British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Problems with Sabadell online (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/problems-sabadell-online-928438/)

spainrico Oct 10th 2019 6:27 am

Problems with Sabadell online

The normally efficient Sabadell online banking system yesterday blocked my access with various messages relating to security changes - however, I had not received any prior instructions or information relating to system upgrades/changes.

All attempts to contact the helpline failed and the promised call back did not happen.

Anyone else who banks with Sabadell know what's going on?

Lynn R Oct 10th 2019 6:36 am

Re: Problems with Sabadell online

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12746432)
The normally efficient Sabadell online banking system yesterday blocked my access with various messages relating to security changes - however, I had not received any prior instructions or information relating to system upgrades/changes.

All attempts to contact the helpline failed and the promised call back did not happen.

Anyone else who banks with Sabadell know what's going on?

I did get a letter from them a few weeks ago saying that they were going to be making some changes and from a certain date (can't remember the date, sorry) they would be sending a security code to the phone number registered to my account "on some occasions" when I log onto online banking. Could it be something to do with that, perhaps? I haven't had to logon since then so haven't tried it myself.

spainrico Oct 10th 2019 6:46 am

Hi Lynn, thanks for your reply I think this is to do with making online purchases - the whole system (across EU I think) is changing to improve security.

I just emailed my branch manager and he says 'I need you go to one branch to Sabadell to change you online banking to digital signature' which is a pain but looks like no other option.

Lynn R Oct 10th 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12746439)
Hi Lynn, thanks for your reply I think this is to do with making online purchases - the whole system (across EU I think) is changing to improve security.

I just emailed my branch manager and he says 'I need you go to one branch to Sabadell to change you online banking to digital signature' which is a pain but looks like no other option.

I did know about the two-stage authorisation process for online purchases being made compulsory from mid September, but that has always happened with any online purchases I make with my Sabadell debit card anyway. No, the letter I received (unfortunately I threw it away so can't refer back to it) definitely said the security code would be sent to my phone "on some occasions" when I logged into online banking after a certain date. Coincidentally my husband has just tried to login to his account and it was unsuccessful at the first attempt but allowed him to log in on the second try.

Lynn R Oct 10th 2019 7:30 am

I have just tried logging into my own account just to see what would happen, and after entering my user ID and password, they did indeed send a security code to my mobile. The message on screen said I had to enter my Digital Signature (by which they meant the security code number) to access my account. I clicked on the link to see more information, and this is the message that was displayed:-

You're going to log in differently. How?

https://www.bancsabadell.com/mkt/psd..._icon_user.pngWith your usual username and password.

https://www.bancsabadell.com/mkt/psd...irma_black.pngBut also by entering, a code we'll send to your mobile.

You'll normally have to log in like this. Also when you consult account movements that are more than 90 days old.

spainrico Oct 10th 2019 9:47 am

Yes having been to a branch it seems that if you used a code from a plastic card to verify online transactions that system has now been replaced with a code being sent to your phone to then enter into their online system - OK fine I am all for improved security but I think their implementation could have been a bit more customer-friendly.

And doubtless, this will confuse a lot of people to struggle to use phones/computers.

bobd22 Oct 10th 2019 1:00 pm

It's not just Sabadel I have same issue with Cajamar today as well. I ended up locked out attended the bank all re set however I still can't get into either online banking or App as it is asking for a pin but I am not being sent one via phone!

spainrico Oct 10th 2019 1:39 pm

Bobd22 - that is exactly the position I am in despite a visit to the branch this morning.............aaahhh.

bobd22 Oct 10th 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12746645)
Bobd22 - that is exactly the position I am in despite a visit to the branch this morning.............aaahhh.

I managed to eventually sort mine out still couldn't log in after visiting bank. At home I used the cajamar English speaking help line. Took ages to answer but eventually a very nice patient lad talked me through it. It turns out the pin they were asking doesn't come from your phone but was one I set 11 years ago! Anyway with a few tries with the lads patience and assistance the issue was resolved with a new pin etc. All working again. Seemingly they won't do this every log in but every now and again they will want pin confirmation as well as log in details and password.

Lynn R Oct 10th 2019 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12746518)
And doubtless, this will confuse a lot of people to struggle to use phones/computers.

Maybe so, but if they struggled that much, would they be using online banking in the first place?

I did see reports in the UK press a couple of months ago that the two-stage authorisation process for online purchases could cause problems for UK citizens living overseas if the phone number they had registered with their card providers wasn't a UK number, as some providers would not send codes to overseas numbers. I contacted my bank (First Direct) who said it shouldn't be a problem for them, and also wrote to my credit card provider asking them to change my phone number to my UK one (I use a dual SIM phone). I haven't had a reply from them, but neither have I tried to use my UK cards to make any purchases as yet since the new system came in on 14 September. I don't often buy things online using my UK cards, but on occasion it can be useful.

snikpoh Oct 10th 2019 4:03 pm

The computer certificate is only required (ISTR) if you use the mobile app. We have had PIN's sent to us for over a year now (to access our account).

spainrico Oct 11th 2019 7:50 am

OK got through to the helpline this morning (early!) and access now sorted out - when I finally signed in - the first message explained the new system and changes!

So if you bank with Sabadell (and all banks are changing systems to comply with new security requirements) you will need to stop using the system with codes on a plastic card and switch to totally online system. Good luck!

Longlegpete Oct 15th 2019 10:37 pm

We had many communications from them regarding the change that was coming up, we were already on the newest security settings and procedures so it didn't make any difference to us but there certainly was communication