Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Private pickups Alicante airport.

Private pickups Alicante airport.

Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private pickups Alicante airport.

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Oh Diddums!!
'I'm alright Jack' - the caring side of expats in Spain
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedro pete
Glad you think that the corruption is all part of the fun. That is people's money many of whom can ill afford to part with these days in the economic miracle that is Spain's economy. How heartless can you be?

Big business has taken one look at the crooks in government in Murcia and given the place a wide berth because of the 'fun' and almost comical level of ineptitude of the Spanish mindset. That is how much the fun is costing the region.

The area has easy access, it's called St Javier airport and it has served this region well. Honestly, who cannot laugh at a bunch of third world loons who build an airport that no one wants and couldn't afford.

Have you followed the shenanigans of this whole dismal spectacle? It defies belief that they have got away with so much wanton destruction of the economy and this is isn't the only stupid project that didn't even seem like a good idea at the time that the Spanish undertook. More than one airport, more than one train line to nowhere, motorways, desalination plants and so it goes on. And where are we now? Back at the E.U. with the begging bowl, again, looking for another bail out, again, promising everything and delivering nothing, again.

You want to do business with this shower, I wish you luck, I really do. Your cavalier attitude should fit in well the mind set. The airport at Alicante which your OP referred to, have a look at the size of the spanking new terminal and ask what the hell is wrong with the old one? How were we not well served by it? Vanity, that's all it is.

I am stuck in the property crash and when I finally get out of this mess, I am out. Moving to Spain was a huge mistake for me. My own fault, my call, my decision. You may want to have a look at what Podemos have in store for you all if you think life for those in Spain cannot deteriorate, have a read of what they have lined up. I won't be the last getting out of Dodge.

Good day sir/madam.

Nice to know that the prospect of a new poxy, ill conceived, corrupt airport project gives some expats so much pleasure - in the hope that their property value will rocket
By the way it was completed about 2 years ago - what a joke!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Popsy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well time for some new blood. Out with the old in with the new. Bye bye losers.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popsy1
Well time for some new blood. Out with the old in with the new. Bye bye losers.
Maybe you’d best listen to Pedro Pete and others like him. You are talking to old hands here, not in age but in experience. Your cocksure attitude is nothing new. We’ve seen them come and seen them go. Remember, no one knows what's coming round the corner. Especially in Spain.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Popsy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

As with all business plans there is always a risk. But I have always taken risks and more often than not I have done well.
I have many contacts in south East Spain some are doing ok but most are doing very well indeed. All are associated with the tourist industry one way or another or in property.
I have a very good network.

Also I'm not running away from anything in the UK. i still have plenty of business links in the UK. This is just one of several projects.
Sure Spain is full of Brits who thought they could turn up and open a bar or clean a few pools and life would be easy. You know who they are. They are the ones sitting in bars during the day feeling sorry for them self.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is also full of people in the middle of that over stereo typed image. In fact your success magnet is anything but the norm. The Spanish would love to know what your business model is, in fact Lord Sugar would probably hire you. If anything you portray a complete lack of sense of reality about business in Spain. For every drunk Brit or any other national, there are hundreds who are vulnerable to every trick in the book. Not because they are stupid or 'losers' but because there is naff all the in way of consumer protection.

From the blank stare and shrug which is the Spanish for 'Sod off you guiri bastard', to the laughable legal system, you may well find that your first problem will multiply exponentially despite your network. Unless you are related to or are blackmailing the local Police/crooks in town hall, you will find out all too soon.

Still, you know best. I have had my say. Never have and never will look for sympathy, if I do I will find it in the dictionary between sceptic and syphilis. Once again I wish you well in a country where people may succeed despite the Spanish, not because of them.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:33 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sales of holiday homes to Brits increased by 25% according to the FX companies.
( Local News, World News, Property News, Business Directory, FREE Classifieds in the Algarve. ).
Similar picture in Portugal .
Maybe there is new blood with lower and different expectations to those who bought at the peak .
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Pedro,

Since you don't want to tell your story, i'll speculate (appropriate choice of word).

If you have been the victim of some kind of corruption then I genuinely feel for you.

If you were one of those who went to a Ramada hotel in Watford on a Sunday afternoon in 2006 and bought a property you'd never seen on the promise that it would double in value before it was finished, I won't feel for you.

Save me the speculation Pete, instead of the broad rant about Spanish mindset, corruption, ineptitude, and attitude to foreigners, what's your story Pete? I still don't know why you're angry.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

My story is my story and stays that way. Despite 5 years of planning our move, things became a nightmare. Shared experience is unlikely but my opinion of the Spanish may cause some to pause and look a little closer at their plans. If they tread with added caution, then it's job done. There is no need for specifics.

All that glitters is not gold.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

1. I thought everybody already knew that all that glitters is not gold, but thanks for the reminder.

2. Your opinion of the Spanish is worth nothing without context. At the moment you come across as somebody who's ranting and directing hate and fury because things didn't go well for them. The fact that a ranting Internet stranger who won't provide context says the Spanish are... (all those things above)... won't cause me to pause.

Originally Posted by pedro pete
My story is my story and stays that way. Despite 5 years of planning our move, things became a nightmare. Shared experience is unlikely but my opinion of the Spanish may cause some to pause and look a little closer at their plans. If they tread with added caution, then it's job done. There is no need for specifics.

All that glitters is not gold.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

1. Sadly not, hence the many problems for those less informed about gold than you or simply fallen to the whips and scorns of time.

2. Are you seriously suggesting that there is no other evidence of the matters I raised?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pedro,

Of course I have seen evidence of corruption. I know Spaniards who have been affected by corruption.

But I know that a lot of British people in Spain got involved in wild speculation and now blame the Spanish for something that was in fact entirely their own fault.

Actually, the most ridiculous part of your rant was about the train lines to nowhere, the airport, etc. What you have to remember is that Spain was still a developing country in many respects (third world, according to you) and it was tied into the european "project" and a world-wide banking system that had everybody, businesses (big and small) and private individuals, thinking it was all spend today, earn tomorrow. And in many cases, never earn, as the rising value of our property will pay for it all.

That was a global issue and were it not for the fact that America and Britain allowed a system whereby low value individuals were lent lots of cash they couldn't afford, that train line probably would have a destination and that airport probably would have flights going in and out.

Did you say you've worked in the Far East? If so, you will probably have seen 6 lane highways with no traffic on them, roads that end in sand, and other infrastructure waiting for populations to come and find it. It's what happens in developing countries where capital investment is made available.

The problems you talk about exist, but they're not entirely Spain's fault. Share your anger a bit wider.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Horlics
Pedro,

etc.etc What you have to remember is that Spain was still a developing country in many respects etc. etc
LOL you're joking of course. I've lived and worked here (IT) here since 1992 and never felt that I'd moved to a developing country.

As for your comment that its the fault of the American and British systems lending money to people that could not pay back make me think you were not here in the years 2000 to 2007 when nearly all Spanish banks were offering mortgages at 110% or even 125% to people who were on minimum wages.

Its an interesting fact that countries like France and Germany (I assume you accept they are part of the worlds financial system) did not create a housing bubble during those times of easy money.

The countries that did so (US, UK, Spain and others) were motivated IMO by pure and simple greed.

IMO Pedro Pete makes some very valid points especially about corruption, a stupid legal system.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Horlics.

Not entirely Spain’s fault…well, you certainly haven’t factored into your statement the Ciudad Real airport. ‘A BBC News magazine report suggests the airport was planned to fail by its investors, who benefited from construction contracts awarded to their own companies.’ Not the bankers fault, not the world’s fault, not America’s or Britain’s fault, but Spain’s greedy and corrupt fault.

And I wonder if your version of ‘wild speculation’ means all those who, through the Spanish (corrupt) system, bought properties only to find that, years later, those properties British people bought from (corrupt) constructors, overseen by (corrupt) town halls, and through (corrupt) lawyers, were illegal?

Popsy.

Your depiction of Brits in Spain, for someone who is supposedly so ‘switched on and sharper’, is so old. Brits have been coming to Spain for around fifty years now and mostly catering for a foreign clientele, i.e. the tourist industry and property. If you think you are of ‘a new generation of Brits moving into Spain’, ‘and you all know the pitfalls and downfalls’, then it is ‘oh, dear, good luck to you’ time. Good luck to you because I have no ill-feelings for any Brit moving and opening a business in Spain, but please do not take those already here for fools.

Incidentally, one wonders, if you have so many contacts and a very good network here in Spain, you have to insult people on this forum when they go out of their way to give you good advice. Maybe your friends can give you the advice you want to hear.

Pedro Pete is correct. Best you listen up a bit instead of trying to belittle those who give valid advice.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:46 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
Horlics.

Not entirely Spain’s fault…well, you certainly haven’t factored into your statement the Ciudad Real airport. ‘A BBC News magazine report suggests the airport was planned to fail by its investors, who benefited from construction contracts awarded to their own companies.’ Not the bankers fault, not the world’s fault, not America’s or Britain’s fault, but Spain’s greedy and corrupt fault.

And I wonder if your version of ‘wild speculation’ means all those who, through the Spanish (corrupt) system, bought properties only to find that, years later, those properties British people bought from (corrupt) constructors, overseen by (corrupt) town halls, and through (corrupt) lawyers, were illegal?

Popsy.

Your depiction of Brits in Spain, for someone who is supposedly so ‘switched on and sharper’, is so old. Brits have been coming to Spain for around fifty years now and mostly catering for a foreign clientele, i.e. the tourist industry and property. If you think you are of ‘a new generation of Brits moving into Spain’, ‘and you all know the pitfalls and downfalls’, then it is ‘oh, dear, good luck to you’ time. Good luck to you because I have no ill-feelings for any Brit moving and opening a business in Spain, but please do not take those already here for fools.

Incidentally, one wonders, if you have so many contacts and a very good network here in Spain, you have to insult people on this forum when they go out of their way to give you good advice. Maybe your friends can give you the advice you want to hear.

Pedro Pete is correct. Best you listen up a bit instead of trying to belittle those who give valid advice.
The problem with these debates on this and almost every Expat forum is that only those with a story to tell post.
Some have had a bad experience and quite reasonably want to warn others .
Those who have done well and are are leading a good life rarely bother to join forums.
Those who ask for advice also rarely bother to come back and share their experiences.
Forums are just a miniscule part of the expat story and should not be taken too seriously by anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.