Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Private pickups Alicante airport.

Private pickups Alicante airport.

Old Nov 16th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Popsy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private pickups Alicante airport.

I read a post about a guy who wanted to do private pickups at Malaga airport. And he was told he would get mobbed by the local taxi drivers.

My question is aimed at anyone who has a guest house or B&B who do there're own pickups at Alicante. Do they have a problem or is it ok if it's only once a week or so ?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:17 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private pickups Alicante airport.

Expect trouble from taxi drivers, once your face becomes known as a regular.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I know that Elche council are paying for the cost of installing a number plate recognition device to placate the local taxi drivers, and that the "limit" is 7 visits a month. What I do not understand is how and who is running this show. The airport is a public space and there can be no restriction on usage, surely. If they are looking for specific taxis from non-Elche bases, that's one thing. If every number plate is to be checked as to origin, and the purpose of the visit, there's going to be a need for a lot of officials!
I cannot see the validity of any scheme to try and insist that all taxis entering the space must be from Elche. The thought of calling for a taxi from Elche to be picked up in Denia is somewhat crazy.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popsy1
I read a post about a guy who wanted to do private pickups at Malaga airport. And he was told he would get mobbed by the local taxi drivers.

My question is aimed at anyone who has a guest house or B&B who do there're own pickups at Alicante. Do they have a problem or is it ok if it's only once a week or so ?
The problem I believe is that this constitutes work requiring the equivalent of a PSV licence and relevant vehicle classification etc.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

So nobody here has any first had experience ??
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Well, as I said in my earlier post, there will be a limit of 7 times a month, so twice per week is too many. Of course if your establishment has two vehicles, then problem solved!
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info. So is that regulation or a rule of thumb ?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

The whole thing is in the air at the present. What I have reported is the statement in the local English press, which is not always as accurate as it might be - a bit Daily Hatemail if you will - but the plan has been on the cards for some while. How long it will be before other airports and taxi drivers take up the same line is unknown. The operational value will need to be assessed in the future.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this campaign is aimed at 'cowboys' who are doing airport runs (depriving genuine taxi drivers of trade) in vehicles without proper insurance etc and taking cash and not those who own a legitimate business, paying taxes, and running a properly insured vehicle for transporting their genuine clients.

I know a company operating walking hoilidays in the Alicante mountains and they have been collecting/returning their cleints to Alicante airport for years without any problems.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

What you say is probably part of the truth, but it is said that only Elche based taxis will be allowed to pick up clients at the airport. No doubt the Alicante based taxi firms are taking a somewhat jaundiced view of the whole affair. What happened in the past is overridden, seemingly, by the 7-a-month rule.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this:

Illegal Taxi Detector and Licence Plate Reader in Action at Alicante Airport | On The Pulse of Spain

maybe helps clarify the situation
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popsy1
Thanks for that info. So is that regulation or a rule of thumb ?
I suspect your biggest problem would be in case of an accident or being stopped by the police, does your insurance allow you to use your car for commercial purposes, which is what an airport run would be classed as. There have been many problems around the airports on the costa blanca going back many years, and this has been on going for at least 10 years to my knowlege, at the worst drivers have been physically attacked, ot at least reported to the police, and, of course, being stopped by the police without the correct documentation might well see you, your passengers and their luggage stranded at the side of the road, and having to get a taxi to continue the journey.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

.... and in the event of a passenger being injured, you may end up liable for their medical expenses and legal liability for damages.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Assuming the business has the relevant insurance to transport people. And doesn't pick up/drop off in the taxi lane and only goes max 6 times a month everything should be ok. And as previously mentioned have two cars.

Sorted.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:35 pm
Started off with nothing

I am not sure what "relevant insurance" you have in mind?

Business insurance to include private hire would be expensive.

AFIK, most if not all private car insurance would exclude this type of activity. If and when a claim was made, you could be in a very difficult situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.