Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Private hospitals in Spain are vultures

Private hospitals in Spain are vultures

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private hospitals in Spain are vultures

I was watching Benidorm ER on TV yesterday, and it occured to me how opportunistic and dishonest their business really is.

They provide no better treatment than could be received at a Spanish state hospital on presentation of an EHIC card.

They effectively play on tourists ignorance as to how the health care system works in Spain and them either not being aware they can be asked to be taken to a state hospital or being in no fit state to ask.

I'm surprised the insurance companies tolerate it really. Insurance companies are paying out millions of pounds a year for treatment that can be at free or minimal cost to the patient with an EHIC card.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:08 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private hospitals in Spain are vultures

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
I was watching Benidorm ER on TV yesterday, and it occured to me how opportunistic and dishonest their business really is.

They provide no better treatment than could be received at a Spanish state hospital on presentation of an EHIC card.

They effectively play on tourists ignorance as to how the health care system works in Spain and them either not being aware they can be asked to be taken to a state hospital or being in no fit state to ask.

I'm surprised the insurance companies tolerate it really. Insurance companies are paying out millions of pounds a year for treatment that can be at free or minimal cost to the patient with an EHIC card.
We had some threads dealing with these scams a few months ago.

Basically the main problem was with Spanish state hospitals illegally fobbing people off and pointing them in the direction of the private hospitals.

The taxi drivers were obviously getting their cut as well in some cases by taking folk direct to private hospitals although they were well aware that they could get free treatment in State hospitals.

After complaints from all over Europe the EU finally took action and ordered them to cut out the scamming and face up to their legal responsibilities..

Not heard much about it recently so I wonder if it is still happening ?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:00 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have little sympathy for those, who don't take the time to find out what to do in an emergency before they travel.

Never had an issue with state hospitals in Spain, which I have used more times than I would like!!!

Those I know who pay a small fortune for private health insurance, continually moan about the service they have received from private hospitals.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I have little sympathy for those, who don't take the time to find out what to do in an emergency before they travel.
You make the mistake of assuming everyone is as clever as you, they are not!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
You make the mistake of assuming everyone is as clever as you, they are not!
I did not intent to sound like a smart ass.

I would suggest most travellers will have heard of the EHIC card? Even the most dim witted will know about travel insurance? Every holiday operator will try to sell you insurance. Last time I booked a flight I had to tick the box for no travel insurance required.

A sad reflection on the nanny state when some people accept no responsibility and are quick to blame others for their own misadventure.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:03 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago the BBC holiday complaints prog had a feature about a couple in the Canaries who ended up in a private hospital.
They had NO insurance and thought the EHIC would be enough.
The conclusion was TAKE OUT INSURANCE.
The young kids on holiday taken to a hospital tired and emotional in the early hours will hardly be n any state to insist that they be treated in a state hospital.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:11 pm
Started off with nothing

When skiing in the states, a couple in our hotel had no insurance. Day two wife twisted her knee and was diagnosed with cruciate ligamaent damage. Hubby told me they would wait until they got home to get her treatment.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest most travellers will have heard of the EHIC card? Even the most dim witted will know about travel insurance? Every holiday operator will try to sell you insurance. Last time I booked a flight I had to tick the box for no travel insurance required.

A sad reflection on the nanny state when some people accept no responsibility and are quick to blame others for their own misadventure.
I'm guessing that most whilst not as clever as you, will have insurance, some will wing it, I know we have never been without it. Why would they be without the EHIC, it's free. However, if I'm driving through Spain, have a heart attack or whatever, wife doesn't speak Spanish, she'll just want to get me to hospital. Now despite having insurance, she won't be able to say "I don't want to go to a private hospital" A hospital, any hospital will be the important thing, and if the taxi driver/ambulance takes her to a private hospital, (which some are paid to do) I doubt she would even know it was private, until it was too late. Thousands of tourists with insurance will face this problem. There were many cases of state hospitals in Spain refusing to to recognise the European Health Insurance Card, what then?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22714147
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if you'd been in a bad situation such as I have, where the State hospital refused emergency treatment despite my card and sent me to the nearest private clinic which had shut it's doors for the day, you'd understand a bit better.
I struggled back to the State hospital and had to have a major confrontation with them in not the best state of health before they granted the treatment I should have had immediately.

Disgusting and despicable.

My own experience of private Spanish clinics soon made me realize that many of them are little more than vultures and that they extend treatment as long as possible wether needed or not in order to obtain maximum profit.

If treatment is granted as should be the case in State hospitals then at least it is likely that they will try to do what is absolutely necessary, no less and no more.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:34 pm
Started off with nothing

My experience of state hospitals has been very good.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:21 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

I never realised (being dim witted) that the EHIC card covered air ambulance costs. I am a retired insurance broker and know that you are talking complete rubbish. I can access five star cover for circa £30.00 per couple for a 2 weeks trip. My insurance puts use in a private Spanish hospital, or gets us back home, are you short of cash or something?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:09 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by crookesey
I never realised (being dim witted) that the EHIC card covered air ambulance costs. I am a retired insurance broker and know that you are talking complete rubbish. I can access five star cover for circa £30.00 per couple for a 2 weeks trip. My insurance puts use in a private Spanish hospital, or gets us back home, are you short of cash or something?
<<snip>
I never suggested one should not have travel insurance. On the contrary, I have no sympathy for those who travel from the UK to Spain on holiday without EHIC AND travel insurance, them whinge on TV.
FYI: I have annual travel insurance.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 6th 2014 at 11:47 am. Reason: Remark removed for peace and harmony. Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:38 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm guessing that most whilst not as clever as you, will have insurance, some will wing it, I know we have never been without it. Why would they be without the EHIC, it's free. However, if I'm driving through Spain, have a heart attack or whatever, wife doesn't speak Spanish, she'll just want to get me to hospital. Now despite having insurance, she won't be able to say "I don't want to go to a private hospital" A hospital, any hospital will be the important thing, and if the taxi driver/ambulance takes her to a private hospital, (which some are paid to do) I doubt she would even know it was private, until it was too late. Thousands of tourists with insurance will face this problem. There were many cases of state hospitals in Spain refusing to to recognise the European Health Insurance Card, what then?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22714147
My point was, I have no sympathy for those who wing it then whinge on TV.
If you have a heart attack, then call an ambulance, hopefully you and your wife know how? Every ambulance I have seen is equipped with a defibrillator.
Thousands of tourists with insurance will face this problem.
In the event of a heart attack, I would want to go to the nearest hospital state or private. If they have insurance - why is this a problem?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:25 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you can do everything right, insure everything that moves, and still get into trouble. A few months ago an English tourist just under pension age came out to visit his sister to explore the possibility of becoming an expat.

He had a stroke and was admitted to a local Spanish state hospital where he received the necessary early treatment.

The Spanish surgeon said he needed a operation to initially reduce the swelling on one side of his brain and was prepared to do the operation as soon as the £30,000 cost was guaranteed by the insurance company.

Needless to say, the Spanish bureaucracy kicked in, the English insurance company never received any faxes from the Spanish hospital and the brain swelling was that bad that the patient couldn't fly home.

The patient stayed in hospital for another two weeks, the swelling didn't go down and the faxes were never resolved. After two weeks, the patient realised what was happening, discharged himself and flew home to get the necessary treatment.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:53 am
Started off with nothing

Thumbs down Re: Private hospitals in Spain are vultures

Originally Posted by HBG
Sometimes you can do everything right, insure everything that moves, and still get into trouble. A few months ago an English tourist just under pension age came out to visit his sister to explore the possibility of becoming an expat.

He had a stroke and was admitted to a local Spanish state hospital where he received the necessary early treatment.

The Spanish surgeon said he needed a operation to initially reduce the swelling on one side of his brain and was prepared to do the operation as soon as the £30,000 cost was guaranteed by the insurance company.

Needless to say, the Spanish bureaucracy kicked in, the English insurance company never received any faxes from the Spanish hospital and the brain swelling was that bad.
Very sad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.