British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Private health insurance providers - to qualify for Residency (Ex-19) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/private-health-insurance-providers-qualify-residency-ex-19-a-942285/)

Vela Jan 10th 2022 3:21 pm

Private health insurance providers - to qualify for Residency (Ex-19)

Hi all,

I'll be applying for Spanish residency in the near-term, on the basis of being the spouse of a Spanish citizen (filling in form Ex-19). One of the requirements is to provide proof of private health insurance. Whilst I'm researching the specifics of what the Extranjeria will expect to be covered, there appear to be a myriad of available policies from various providers e.g. AXA, BUPA/Sanitas etc. - with a wide range of monthly fees (e.g. ranging from 60 to 200 quid per month for a family of 3).

Likely the ones on the cheaper end of the spectrum do not meet all the Extranjeria's insurance coverage requirements, whilst ones at the expensive end e.g. Sanitas might be overkill. Looking for any experiences/perspectives from the folks on this forum regarding private health insurance policy providers (and products) that are reliable, and meet the Extranjeria's requirements from a Residency application perspective...and any other gotchas to be aware of in the context of this topic.

Thank you in advance :)

Chipmonk Jan 10th 2022 3:48 pm

Re: Private health insurance providers - to qualify for Residency (Ex-19)

Originally Posted by Vela (Post 13087265)
Hi all,

I'll be applying for Spanish residency in the near-term, on the basis of being the spouse of a Spanish citizen (filling in form Ex-19). One of the requirements is to provide proof of private health insurance. Whilst I'm researching the specifics of what the Extranjeria will expect to be covered, there appear to be a myriad of available policies from various providers e.g. AXA, BUPA/Sanitas etc. - with a wide range of monthly fees (e.g. ranging from 60 to 200 quid per month for a family of 3).

Likely the ones on the cheaper end of the spectrum do not meet all the Extranjeria's insurance coverage requirements, whilst ones at the expensive end e.g. Sanitas might be overkill. Looking for any experiences/perspectives from the folks on this forum regarding private health insurance policy providers (and products) that are reliable, and meet the Extranjeria's requirements from a Residency application perspective...and any other gotchas to be aware of in the context of this topic.

Thank you in advance :)

If your spouse is Spanish and has public healthcare you automatically get the same cover so you shouldn't need private insurance

Richielisa Jan 11th 2022 7:47 am

If you have BUPA already in the UK and have been with them over a year you shoukd be able to trabsfer your cover to Sanitas. Its called an inter fund transfer and it will be continuous cover.

airways Jan 11th 2022 5:23 pm

I have a policy with Caixa which is €65 a month and includes dental. All in English and seems pretty good.

DLC Jan 11th 2022 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chipmonk (Post 13087277)
If your spouse is Spanish and has public healthcare you automatically get the same cover so you shouldn't need private insurance

This is the info, the EU citizen spouse needs to fill in a form so you're the beneficiary.

But it's the usual catch 22 situation, you need residency to get public healthcare and you need public healthcare to get residency. So first you need to start off with private healthcare.

Fred James Jan 11th 2022 8:45 pm

The biggest potential problem with insurance for residency is that the policy must have no exclusions for any pre-existing medical condition.

Just being on blood pressure pills is enough to have the policy rejected.