Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Private Health Insurance

Private Health Insurance

Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:12 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Private Health Insurance

Hi everyone.

We are going to take out some private health insurance. For those of you that already have it... please can you tell me who you chose, and why you did. Any advice on who NOT to use and why would be appreciated too.

Cheers, Elle xx
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Elle1971
Hi everyone.

We are going to take out some private health insurance. For those of you that already have it... please can you tell me who you chose, and why you did. Any advice on who NOT to use and why would be appreciated too.

Cheers, Elle xx
We got the best value quote from ASSSA (google it).
But we haven't taken it out yet because we are automatically covered under the Spanish system until late 2008 as we had paid up to date UK contributions.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
Hi everyone.

Cheers, Elle xx
I'm also looking.. A few people seem to take out Sanitas and seem to be happy enough with it which is connected I beleive to Bupa.

I would also get your teeth covered as well, as it can be expensive, also be wary of some dentists. I had one in Fuegirola, a well known one that dentist hire the rooms, which I didn't realise. I had loads of problems with a couple of them and the last was a butcher and did work on healthy teeth. I know this because I went in and asked to see my notes and ran off with them. It has cost me a fortune and I've had to have all the work she has done redone as I've had absesses and infections from it. So be aware of that.

Also if you need treatment shop around, when I had an operation done in London in one of the private hospitals there was approximately £600 difference. So get quotes even if you are using insurances. The spanish are also known for doing things to you that you don't necessarily need doing if they know you have insurance. Again be careful.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm also looking.. A few people seem to take out Sanitas and seem to be happy enough with it which is connected I beleive to Bupa.

I would also get your teeth covered as well, as it can be expensive, also be wary of some dentists. I had one in Fuegirola, a well known one that dentist hire the rooms, which I didn't realise. I had loads of problems with a couple of them and the last was a butcher and did work on healthy teeth. I know this because I went in and asked to see my notes and ran off with them. It has cost me a fortune and I've had to have all the work she has done redone as I've had absesses and infections from it. So be aware of that.

Also if you need treatment shop around, when I had an operation done in London in one of the private hospitals there was approximately £600 difference. So get quotes even if you are using insurances. The spanish are also known for doing things to you that you don't necessarily need doing if they know you have insurance. Again be careful.
I have been with Sanitas for 4 years, transferred my cover from BUPA in the UK, as Sanitas is some sort of affiliate?, However reasons were, existing problems were covered on transfer, price was much lower than any other offer from Spanish Co's, price has been held for the last two years, with this years premium gone up by just over 3%. Primary dental cover included for an additional 12€ per month. Used twice over this period, no problems with treatment or payment, although both were minor and low cost, Only negative I have had, is that inland the number of Doctors and clinics are thin on the ground and we have to travel to the more populated coastal areas for access.
Good Tel support in English
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I use Asisa, National Nederlanden.

you can either see doctors within their book or if you see someone else they pay you 90% back. I must say, I do always get my money.

All paperwork is in spanish.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:33 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. Must admit I went on the Sanitas site today to get a quote, and there seemed to be a problem with it. So I've emailed them and requested info.

Hopefully, we'll get sorted eventually!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We got the best value quote from ASSSA (google it).
But we haven't taken it out yet because we are automatically covered under the Spanish system until late 2008 as we had paid up to date UK contributions.
Hi,

being a Valencian resident, you will always get 'Free" "Spanish Health Care Cover"

As far as I know??

Cheers

Paul
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gadget
Hi,

being a Valencian resident, you will always get 'Free" "Spanish Health Care Cover"

As far as I know??

Cheers

Paul

I've heard that said before Paul, but I'm never quite sure about it. On the
E106 I bought from the UK it said October 2008, but on the form that the Dept De Seguridad issued there was no date, so I'm not sure at the moment
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I've heard that said before Paul, but I'm never quite sure about it. On the
E106 I bought from the UK it said October 2008, but on the form that the Dept De Seguridad issued there was no date, so I'm not sure at the moment
The date on the E106 is the date up to which the Spanish Govt can claim back your costs until (I believe)

But after that date, you will still get free health, as every other Valencian resident. This is what I have been told, and that it is only the Valencian region that does this.

It is the same with Inheritance tax, the Valencian governemnt have just changed the law, so that 99% of anything left is tax free.

Seems we made a good choice moving to Vlaencia

Cheers

Paul
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:01 pm
Senior Moment

The date on the E106 is the date up to which the Spanish Govt can claim back your costs until (I believe)

But after that date, you will still get free health, as every other Valencian resident. This is what I have been told, and that it is only the Valencian region that does this.

It is the same with Inheritance tax, the Valencian governemnt have just changed the law, so that 99% of anything left is tax free.

Seems we made a good choice moving to Vlaencia

Cheers

Paul
I didn't think the IHT law had been changed yet, according to my abogado it Was in the pipeline ... thats interesting, thanks
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the same rules as in Andalucia but there are conditions.

In Andalucia it is 99.9% allowance but the surviving spouse has the continue living in the property for 10 years or the full IHT becomes due.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It sounds like the same rules as in Andalucia but there are conditions.

In Andalucia it is 99.9% allowance but the surviving spouse has the continue living in the property for 10 years or the full IHT becomes due.
That is evil, probably most people would want to move on well before that.
There would be too many memories and I would be imagening her there all the time.