Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Primary/Secondary schools in Barcelona

Primary/Secondary schools in Barcelona

Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Felicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary/Secondary schools in Barcelona

Yes, its the education question again! I'm interested to find out if anyone knows of a group of people in Barcelona running a 'home schooling' set up for their kids (regardless of their nationality/mother tongue), and also whether it is legal in Spain to 'home educate'? And alternatively, any recommendations of good State &/or International schools for kids within the city - are there any State primary schools that run a bilingual teaching program - English/Spanish ? My internet searches are only bringing up limited choice and I expect there is more going on than what I'm currently finding via google!
Thanks for any info...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all
Default Re: Primary/Secondary schools in Barcelona

Originally Posted by Felicity
Yes, its the education question again! I'm interested to find out if anyone knows of a group of people in Barcelona running a 'home schooling' set up for their kids (regardless of their nationality/mother tongue), and also whether it is legal in Spain to 'home educate'? And alternatively, any recommendations of good State &/or International schools for kids within the city - are there any State primary schools that run a bilingual teaching program - English/Spanish ? My internet searches are only bringing up limited choice and I expect there is more going on than what I'm currently finding via google!
Thanks for any info...
Public schools are 90% Catalan, it's called "linguistic immersion". Now the central government wants to increase the hours of Spanish from 2 to 3 per week, but the Catalan politicians are making a stink about it.

Some very good international schools are the Colegio Aleman (German school), the Colegio Suizo (swiss school) and the Liceo Frances. They have a very good reputation and I know several people with kids in each of these schools. They mainly teach in Spanish and the country's language. There are also an english school and an American school, but I don't know them directly.
For an exhaustive list of private and "concertadas" (these are private but officially recognized) schools, with descriptions of the program in Spanish, see

http://aula.elmundo.es/aula/especial.../cataluna.html
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Felicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary/Secondary schools in Barcelona

Thanks so much! I will keep on looking into it!
Seasons Greetings!
Felicity

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
Public schools are 90% Catalan, it's called "linguistic immersion". Now the central government wants to increase the hours of Spanish from 2 to 3 per week, but the Catalan politicians are making a stink about it.

Some very good international schools are the Colegio Aleman (German school), the Colegio Suizo (swiss school) and the Liceo Frances. They have a very good reputation and I know several people with kids in each of these schools. They mainly teach in Spanish and the country's language. There are also an english school and an American school, but I don't know them directly.
For an exhaustive list of private and "concertadas" (these are private but officially recognized) schools, with descriptions of the program in Spanish, see

http://aula.elmundo.es/aula/especial.../cataluna.html