Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Price of kebab....

Price of kebab....

Old Dec 14th 2021, 6:32 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Price of kebab....

It is about 4 weeks since I had one but I popped back today to get one...

I typically do it if I am under pressure for time and need to grab something quick, but it is the exception rather than the rule as I prefer my own cooking.

All that aside the point is that it cost 4 euros, 4 weeks and and today I paid 5 euros, for the same kebab.

The guy in the kebab show who was Bangladeshi as the price of everything was increasing and electricity had doubled in price.

Lesson is we are in a period of huge inflation and the bang you get for your buck is rapidly diminishing.

I have cash in the bank and I am getting fairly desperate to get out of cash and get it invested in something that will hold its value.

I am sure there are others on here who have also squirrelled a few quid away for their retirement or a rainy day that must be facing the same dilemma of where exactly invest cash.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of kebab....

Certainly interest on savings in UK is terribly low and with the predicted inflation coming no way will savings keep pace. I don't know about spanish savings or what's on offer. Trouble with UK ones if resident here it's hard to invest elsewhere. Also given age i am and faffing on if you invest in shares etc and having to re declare on 720 puts me off. You can keep ISAs in UK but can't invest more into them or I believe move them to a higher interest one, so we end up really stuck. I recentlyv had to change UK bank accounts from Barclays as they no longer wanted EU account holders. As a result I also needed to open a new UK savings account for holding a pool of money we get from a UK house rental. It was very difficult finding a savings account that would acceot me basically only one I could find was with Ns&i that would allow me as eu resident to open a basic saver account. It does what we need for rental income but interest as always rubbish.

Last edited by bobd22; Dec 14th 2021 at 7:33 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

In some countries, like Germany and the Netherlands, many banks are instigating a 'negative interest' policy. If you have over 50,000(?) Euros you have to now pay the bank to keep it there. The reason said is the European Central Bank has been for some time charging the banks in this way but now they are having to pass it on to their customers.

Last edited by Mark604; Dec 14th 2021 at 7:39 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 7:42 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I have been doing a 720 or at least my accountant does it for me, as I have shares to declare. It is bit of a pain in the a55, but I would prefer to keep some of what I have put aside, sterling based.

Also, my I use a UK address for my UK building society account. But i know a lot of people had to close their UK bank account because of Brexit and that left them in a bit of a lurch.

As for interest rates, they are a joke. The money we have in he bank is losing its worth in front of our very eyes.

Old Dec 14th 2021, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
In some countries, like Germany and the Netherlands, many banks are instigating a 'negative interest' policy. If you have over 50,000(?) Euros you have to now pay the bank to keep it there. The reason said is the European Central Bank has been for some time charging the banks in this way but now they are having to pass it on to their customers.
Basically they want you to spend not save really.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are plenty of ways you can make more money but I'd say it's best to invest in your own wellbeing. One thing people will always need is food and a place to live, so a plot of land you can enjoy now in an area that's not affected by climate change is probably a good investment if you are young. Sure that will be taxed too like everything else. If you already own a home, improvements that increase quality of life right now are never bad.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 8:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Investment is for longer term, unless you want high risk.
How old are you? and how long do you expect to live?
Old Dec 14th 2021, 8:45 pm
Banned

I already have enough high risk investments in the form of shares.

I few more than a few years yet before retirement.

I picked my genes well and longevity runs in the family, so I plan to be around for a while.

https://www.blueprintincome.com/tools/life-expectancy-calculator-how-long-will-i-live/

Just entered my details into this life expectancy calculator and it has me popping my
clogs when i am 86.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 9:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

lucky you :-)
Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Some US Saving Bonds are paying 7,12%

Check them out for a safe, long term fixed interest rate investment.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Sorry, the above is only for US of A citizens....

Mercadonna has recently changed their kebab mix.. A little more expensive @ €2,65 but bigger and better..Worth a try with their large tortillas and toppings of your choice. Their ranchera sauce is a good combo with it.. I walk by our best kebab shop here everyday and he has kept the same price.. €4,50

Last edited by growinspain; Dec 14th 2021 at 10:13 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I already have enough high risk investments in the form of shares.

I few more than a few years yet before retirement.

I picked my genes well and longevity runs in the family, so I plan to be around for a while.

https://www.blueprintincome.com/tools/life-expectancy-calculator-how-long-will-i-live/

Just entered my details into this life expectancy calculator and it has me popping my
clogs when i am 86.
"Tomorrow is promised to nobody"
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
"Tomorrow is promised to nobody"
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's my fault but I call my wife Tomorrow, because tomorrow never............

Over the years I've tried all sorts of ways to save and make a bit of money and from time to time I have, but not startling amounts, just enough for pocket money. Quite tense it can be at times as well. But in the last few years I've been mucked about by different banks and even though I bought a place and renovated it in Spain, that was twelve years ago so with what I now had I've succumbed to buying another place, but not in Spain. Now all my savings are tied up in that and the banks just have my day to day stuff.
Will I make money on it/them? No idea really, be nice if I do but then if I sell them, what do I do with the money? Currently I'm not happy with just leaving it in the normal banking system. Sometimes seems more trouble than it's worth.
Too many Ponzi's and Madoff's around.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:37 am
Banned

Yes Mark, I am seriously going to have to consider going from cash to bricks and mortar. Problem in Spain though is buying property isn't an investment really or at least as profitable as it can be in the UK.

If we have a big surge in coronavirus cases in Jan, then the markets will probably take a bit of a plunge so I buy up some stocks...

I saw today that inflation is running at 5%. With the hikes in fuel prices, this is going to push up the price of everything else.

I would say that cash is the last place to be at the moment.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

"Problem in Spain though is buying property isn't an investment really..."
Certainly doesn't appear to be at the moment though I'd like to know if there is a section of the property market in Spain that is doing well. Big cities and rental apartments? No idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.