Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prescription Charges

Prescription Charges

Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prescription Charges

Yesterday, after an appointment with a doctor at the hospital, I was given two prescriptions for some medication. The doctor wrote the prescriptions in the usual way, then from a locked drawer, got a different prescription pad and wrote the same two meds again on two separate forms.

When I went to the Chemist to get the meds I had to produce both copies of the prescriptions and also my passport for identification, as well as the health card. Has anyone else come across this procedure before?

Nearly all our family are on some type of medication and the most I pay is about 3 euros. But the meds I were given cost 6 euros for one and the other one was 64 euros which were all at the discounted rate with the health card. At this point I told her to keep the 64 euros meds as I was not going to pay this amount of money, as the packet only had enough pills in for 2 weeks and I was going to be on these pills for at least 3 months.

She replied that I would have to have them as she had now got them out of the drawer, and that the doctor had prescribed them.

This all resulted in a small argument with me saying that I did not want them, and her saying I had to have them. During this conversation an old gentleman, who I had never met before, decided he was going to pay for my meds! In the end she put the meds in a bag and told me to come back when I had the money to pay for them.

I know I have gone on about this above but 64 euros for a pack of pills. Because of the procedure I had to go through in my first paragraph do you think something "odd" is going on?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription Charges

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Yesterday, after an appointment with a doctor at the hospital, I was given two prescriptions for some medication. The doctor wrote the prescriptions in the usual way, then from a locked drawer, got a different prescription pad and wrote the same two meds again on two separate forms.

When I went to the Chemist to get the meds I had to produce both copies of the prescriptions and also my passport for identification, as well as the health card. Has anyone else come across this procedure before?

Nearly all our family are on some type of medication and the most I pay is about 3 euros. But the meds I were given cost 6 euros for one and the other one was 64 euros which were all at the discounted rate with the health card. At this point I told her to keep the 64 euros meds as I was not going to pay this amount of money, as the packet only had enough pills in for 2 weeks and I was going to be on these pills for at least 3 months.

She replied that I would have to have them as she had now got them out of the drawer, and that the doctor had prescribed them.

This all resulted in a small argument with me saying that I did not want them, and her saying I had to have them. During this conversation an old gentleman, who I had never met before, decided he was going to pay for my meds! In the end she put the meds in a bag and told me to come back when I had the money to pay for them.

I know I have gone on about this above but 64 euros for a pack of pills. Because of the procedure I had to go through in my first paragraph do you think something "odd" is going on?
when we've had a prescription from the hospital we've had to pay full price, then go to the GP & get a GP prescription - quite a shock the first time this happened cos it was well over 100€

then back to the farmacia with the GP prescription, till receipt & med box - at which point the pharmacist refunds the money

I guess if you can go to the GP before the farmacia it would save forking out in the first place, but of course this isn't always possible
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Due to surgical error my OH needs one of his prescrptions repeated every five days, this would be at 66 euros a throw so we are very glad that this did not happen until after he started having free prescriptions. In actual fact when he had his first operation we had to buy all his needs whilst he was (alledgedly) healing but since the second operation to correct the problem caused by the first operation the nurse at our surgery has been supplying a great deal of things that previously we had to buy.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I found a Statin that doesnt seem to have any after effects. Costs me €35 for a month ... but the doctor wont prescribe that "make" of statin, so I have to pay every month
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sorry for my young friend who has been a diabetic since she was 6 years old. A couple of years ago she was asked to be part of a trial whereby she could use a mouth/throat spray once a day in place of some of her insulin injections. This went very well and the doctors decided that she could continue as this was so effective for her but the factory (in Spain)where it was being made closed down and they would not buy it in from elsewhere. So after helping with the trial for the new medication and it being great she had to go back to the old way so was very disappointed.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We are really posh here, all our meds are put on the card and you just hand it to the Farmacia, but when I have bought stuff over the counter I have never had a receipt ?
I wished I had known about getting the prescription from the doc to get the refund when I had my op pills and jabs.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I found a Statin that doesnt seem to have any after effects. Costs me €35 for a month ... but the doctor wont prescribe that "make" of statin, so I have to pay every month
At that price is it Cardyl?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
when we've had a prescription from the hospital we've had to pay full price, then go to the GP & get a GP prescription - quite a shock the first time this happened cos it was well over 100€

then back to the farmacia with the GP prescription, till receipt & med box - at which point the pharmacist refunds the money

I guess if you can go to the GP before the farmacia it would save forking out in the first place, but of course this isn't always possible
I have just been to the GP and it is the same charge whether it is a hospital prescription or a GP prescription.

As I am waiting for a new health card which entitles me to free prescriptions I asked if I could get a refund on the meds bought so far - reply NO. And seeing as it could take up to three months for the card to arrive it is going to get expensive.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
At that price is it Cardyl?
Its Prevencor (Atorvastatina)

Simvostatin is about €2 a box
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Its Prevencor (Atorvastatina)

Simvostatin is about €2 a box
OK Prevencor is one of the generic versions of the original Pfizer drug Lipitor (Cardyl in Spain).

Bearing in mind that the Pfizer patent is still (just) current I don't know how Spain manages to market generics.

Cardyl can be up to €50 a box. I've tried them all and the most effective so far is Simvastatin 40 at about €5.

They will prescribe the expensive ones but only if you are seriously at risk.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:48 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fred James
OK Prevencor is one of the generic versions of the original Pfizer drug Lipitor (Cardyl in Spain).

Bearing in mind that the Pfizer patent is still (just) current I don't know how Spain manages to market generics.

Cardyl can be up to €50 a box. I've tried them all and the most effective so far is Simvastatin 40 at about €5.

They will prescribe the expensive ones but only if you are seriously at risk.
I was 7 on the Richter scale
I work on the very unscientific basis that some statins sent my sister a little wierd, fuzzy head, aching muscles. I'm sticking with what Ive got, as I think its worth the dosh
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:05 pm

I was 7 on the Richter scale
I work on the very unscientific basis that some statins sent my sister a little wierd, fuzzy head, aching muscles. I'm sticking with what Ive got, as I think its worth the dosh
Probably for the best to stick with what you are on as you are already weird enough.

Rosemary

Edit: Someone HAD to say it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:18 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Probably for the best to stick with what you are on as you are already weird enough.

Rosemary

Edit: Someone HAD to say it.
Ahh yes, you can't be normal ..... it's too boring
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

What is Statina for ?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:26 pm

Ahh yes, you can't be normal ..... it's too boring
What is normal anyway.

We are called the Oddities for a very good reason.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.