British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Prescription charges??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/prescription-charges-439441/)

kookylou Apr 2nd 2007 8:33 pm

Prescription charges???

my sisters type 1 diabetic is moving to spain with us, whats the charges like for insulin prescriptions? any ideas anyone??

jjh Apr 2nd 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Prescription charges???

Originally Posted by kookylou (Post 4593743)
my sisters type 1 diabetic is moving to spain with us, whats the charges like for insulin prescriptions? any ideas anyone??

I think this may have been discussed before, so try a search and you might get some information.

Good luck

JJ

kookylou Apr 2nd 2007 8:52 pm

cant seem to find nothing about what its actually going to cost her, various info about doctors,medical centres etc. Prescriptions for diabetics free here in uk just a guide to price or a link would be great, thanks.

mrsjdr Apr 2nd 2007 9:19 pm

You can buy any prescription drug over the counter here, don´t know about ddiabetes ( do not know if spelt right) though, best to go to a pharmacy and show them the medication she takes and they will inform you if they sell it and how much it will cost

kookylou Apr 2nd 2007 9:29 pm

thanks for that we will both be going over there in a couple of months to check out the ins and outs of it all so will prob find out more once we actually been over there. Theres so much to look into i am totally bomboozled and we not actually going till jan. I havent even started looking at schools yet i have got a headache just thinking about that!!!!!!!!!

Rosemary Apr 2nd 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by kookylou (Post 4594048)
thanks for that we will both be going over there in a couple of months to check out the ins and outs of it all so will prob find out more once we actually been over there. Theres so much to look into i am totally bomboozled and we not actually going till jan. I havent even started looking at schools yet i have got a headache just thinking about that!!!!!!!!!

I have found that my prescription for blood pressure is about half the price that I paid in UK I know that this does not help greatly but I understand that the costs for medications in Spain are generally much lower so hope that this helps.

Rosemary

kookylou Apr 2nd 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks for that, have found a bit of info about charges but still not clear on how much because she will need insulin, needles, bm strips, those needles she pricks her fingers with plus god knows what else!! If she has to pay for each of these things seperately i am hoping this wont mount up to loads, she also takes thyroid medication aswell. Its all quite disheartening for her to worry about all this. I really just wanna put her mind at rest, so she knows that the medical side of it all isnt gonna be a constant struggle. Did you just have to take your medication with you to show the spanish doc or chemist to get the same ones prescribed??

Rosemary Apr 2nd 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by kookylou (Post 4594174)
Thanks for that, have found a bit of info about charges but still not clear on how much because she will need insulin, needles, bm strips, those needles she pricks her fingers with plus god knows what else!! If she has to pay for each of these things seperately i am hoping this wont mount up to loads, she also takes thyroid medication aswell. Its all quite disheartening for her to worry about all this. I really just wanna put her mind at rest, so she knows that the medical side of it all isnt gonna be a constant struggle. Did you just have to take your medication with you to show the spanish doc or chemist to get the same ones prescribed??

I registered with the local doctor and when my prescription was due I took my medication boxes to them. The receptionist told me to go to the chemist for the tablets but this was incorrect because the chemist told me to return to the doctor for a prescription. (Because of the type of medication that I was on)

No idea what they do about insulin and things to do with it but there is some sort of reciprocal agreement so maybe she will be covered by that. I know that when I asked for my prescription I was told that I would have to pay and then claim it back when I returned to UK but I am not returning and I already had to pay for prescriptions so this was not relevant.

Rosemary

kookylou Apr 2nd 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks for that. Seems abit silly though doesnt it, to tell u to claim it back when u get back to the uk when most people head out there with no intention of returning here to live, Totally mad!

spain Apr 3rd 2007 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mrsjdr (Post 4593997)
You can buy any prescription drug over the counter here, don´t know about ddiabetes ( do not know if spelt right) though, best to go to a pharmacy and show them the medication she takes and they will inform you if they sell it and how much it will cost

yes you can buy a lot of drugs over the counter and just pay the full price BUT you may want to look into this more

I am on tablets which without my SIP card would cost me 480€ per month :eek: but I only pay 7€

So to get the perscprescriptionwill need to be registered at the docs and have a valid SIP card otherwise you wont have any choice but to pay full price

MAKSN Apr 3rd 2007 7:48 am

Re: SIP CARD

Hi I have been reading your message which are very helpful what is a SIP card is it somthing like getting a NIE number.:confused: :confused:

spain Apr 3rd 2007 8:14 am

Re: SIP CARD

Originally Posted by MAKSN (Post 4595583)
Hi I have been reading your message which are very helpful what is a SIP card is it somthing like getting a NIE number.:confused: :confused:

a SIP card is a medical card - to get it you will need to be working and paying social security each month

You need this card to see the doctor and get prescriptions

MAKSN Apr 3rd 2007 4:42 pm

Thank you for the reply this was somthing I haven't read anywhere. :)

jdr Apr 3rd 2007 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MAKSN (Post 4597431)
Thank you for the reply this was somthing I haven't read anywhere. :)

Read healthcare hints in the top thread........... ;-)

vox populia Apr 3rd 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kookylou (Post 4594174)

You will be allowed basic treaatment for two years, but unfortunately your sister may need more than basic care, sounds like long term clinical care and you do need specific Private Health Insurance at a cost and If the will have you, need lots of money in this unfortunate health condition, Says Ex Financial advisor who has provided this sort of Care!