Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future
Default Re: Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Originally Posted by whitelinen
This is not true of Valencia at all.

I live there and am tri-lingual a Belgian friend speaks 5 languages fluently and a Spanish friend born and bred in Valencia is bi-lingual, we have all been unemployed for 9 months and cannot find a job anywhere, not even a menial job.
Jobs are quite scarce at the moment though, even for well connected Spanish people.

My neighbours son (Spanish) lost his job as a HGV driver for a building materials company, but, a few weeks later he now works for the ambulance service.

Not much hope of a foreigner finding that kind of job for sure.

Mike.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitelinen
This is not true of Valencia at all.

I live there and am tri-lingual a Belgian friend speaks 5 languages fluently and a Spanish friend born and bred in Valencia is bi-lingual, we have all been unemployed for 9 months and cannot find a job anywhere, not even a menial job.
I would say this is down to current recessionary time rather than prejudice at the moment ,5 of our staff were made redundant here at heathrow before xmas and are still unemployed
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Benan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike Cross
And what is she going to order?? - If you want anything other than Spanish wine in a restaurant you're stuffed and that is whole point of my posts!!!
you really cant have any idea of eating out in spain if that is what you think...judging by the post that you mentioned with the often dirty waiters, paper tablecloths etc...and now the lack of choice in wine, you must be trying to eat in ventas whenever you do go out (even though you said you hadnt eaten out for a year)...
although the global economy might be in a state of crisis, whenever i go out in spain, i go to places where the staff are tidy, the food is good, the service is seriously above par and they stock a wide variety of spanish wine... one such place i went last time i was over (beginning of the year) with my partner and her parents, we enjoyed 3 courses, wine, a few beers, coffee and brandy and including a 10% tip the bill cost me about 95 euros...was stuffed when i went to get up but then our waiter came over and got us a round on the house...so saying eating out in spain is crap you must be frequenting macdonalds too much!!!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
By the way I am NOT ME ME, I am her better half.

Regards
JLFS
I'm not having a go JLFS but why don't you sign up? it might get confusing at times when another person posts under someone elses user.

Could call yourself 'me me's other half' or simply 'JLFS' if the first is not liked or too long
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:32 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
I'm not having a go JLFS but why don't you sign up? it might get confusing at times when another person posts under someone elses user.

Could call yourself 'me me's other half' or simply 'JLFS' if the first is not liked or too long
Good Idea, but I am afraid to turn into Victor Meldrew.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Not much use closing the barn door after the horse has bolted
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

It would be far better to be Victor Meldrew than his alter ego.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:43 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Not much use closing the barn door after the horse has bolted

If only you knew the half...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing with off-topic, did anyone when choosing to move to spain decide on the basis of spanish food being good? certainly didn't come into the equation with me. Spanish food is something to eat when hungry and nothing else is available. Some of the Brit food is dire too, people running restaurants with no experience. Infact the whole food scene on the CDS is crap. Buy your stuff from Morrisons, eat cheaper and better. Would be nice to have a Tesco though.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Continuing with off-topic, did anyone when choosing to move to spain decide on the basis of spanish food being good? certainly didn't come into the equation with me. Spanish food is something to eat when hungry and nothing else is available. Some of the Brit food is dire too, people running restaurants with no experience. Infact the whole food scene on the CDS is crap. Buy your stuff from Morrisons, eat cheaper and better. Would be nice to have a Tesco though.
and yet another thread is showing the results of the best restaurants in the world, where Spain had 4 out of the top 10.
Don't get me wrong, those are places most of us aren't going to visit anyway. And you're right when you say that good home-cooked food is best. But some people rave about paella for example (not my favourite Spanish dish btw). It's all subjective at the end of the day. If you polled people all over Europe, you know who'd come bottom, by a long way? Yes the UK. I've been able to change some European's prejudices regarding British food by cooking at home. However I fear that most of their experiences is either via fast food outlets or pre-prepared pub meals warmed up in the microwave.
Not sure about buying from supermarkets either. A good local butcher is essential in my experience.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Benan
you really cant have any idea of eating out in spain if that is what you think...judging by the post that you mentioned with the often dirty waiters, paper tablecloths etc...and now the lack of choice in wine, you must be trying to eat in ventas
My local Venta happens to be about the best value food I have eaten in Spain

although the global economy might be in a state of crisis, whenever i go out in spain, i go to places where the staff are tidy, the food is good, the service is seriously above par and they stock a wide variety of spanish wine...
Yes only Spanish wine.

one such place i went last time i was over (beginning of the year) with my partner and her parents, we enjoyed 3 courses, wine, a few beers, coffee and brandy and including a 10% tip the bill cost me about 95 euros..
20 GBP a head is not cheap, I did the same thing in Devon for less than 60 GBP and my meal and service would certainly have been as good as you describe.

saying eating out in spain is crap you must be frequenting macdonalds too much!!!
Read the thread for heavens sake!!!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:04 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that´s nasty! I really don´t get this sort of people living in Spain! Where is it that you live that the food is so bad ??
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll
In our local village they advertise in their shop windows, obviously written in spanish - recent example was spanish chica required for a cleaning job.
I saw this same one
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:23 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Exellent balanced post, tried to give you Karma but it would't let me Don't buy Brit newspapers though, can't afford to!

Back to jobs. I don't know any foreigners who have a good job here, unless it is a British employer. Most spanish jobs are never even advertised. They don't have equal anything laws, many ask for someone under 28 or similar and even ask for a photo.

Jacky read them free here.......

http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/alltnews.htm

Or a bigger selection here......Worldwide....

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

Now you can copy n paste just like me.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Cross
There does seem to be a protectionist mentality in Spain.

It is more noticable at local level rather than government level though.

The Spanish, like the French and Italians are quite efficient at the "closed shop mentality", you only have to look at the supermarket shelves to see they don't offer much, if anything, of wines or olive oil from other countries.

Offering a job to another nationality is the same thing, I'm sure it worse in Spain than the UK.

In a resession though who can blame them?

Mike.
You cannot make this valuation and to generalize, because there is of everything in this life. If Spain is closed people's country, here so many foreigners of all the countries of the world would not live, and we would not have the politics so flexible that we have in our laws, when in countries as Italy, for example, they look for and they expel the criminals and other problematic people. But I believe that you will agree with me, if I tell you that the Britons are for norm general a very closed people. The closed ones are you, not the Spaniards. You form your guettos, you want to buy your products, to speak your language etc etc etc...Ok. And in Spain, there are people that perceives this. Also, many times when I enter, I can read some messages. Examples: " I live in a Spanish city but don't I know people...there is British in this city? ", " Does somebody know where I can buy bread of United Kingdom? ", etc etc etc

Then it is necessary to understand that there are people that maybe this doesn't lend importance, and they don't have inconvenience in that you form a small United Kingdom in Spain, but there are people that can feel annoying, but I believe that this last it is not the usual thing. And this happens here, and you won't deny me that it would also happen in United Kingdom (or in any country of the world)

Yes or yes?

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 22nd 2009 at 1:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.