Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Originally Posted by Jur
I realise that Hate-mail is not the correct expression, but it´s a very negative statement on Spain´s recruitment attitude even though it was someonelse´s story/daughter. But hey, it´s just opinions, right?
Opinions or not your comment was way over the top. Perhaps next time you will think twice about posting such a thing.

Many thanks
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:44 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
cricketman, Spain is a 'seriously' corrupt country! ignoring that fact will not just make that fact dissapear, if you have not discovered this yet then you will eventually. nor is speaking out about it wrong, doesn't mean to say he should go back to the UK either if he doesn't like corruption. This is something that is worth complaining about, * complaining * about not being able to get a tub of double cream is not!

Sure, I agree you need to focus on positive and not negative but that doesn't make the negative things go away, you still need to be aware of them. Again, corruption is negative, is a reality and needs to be talked about, not getting a soda bread in Spain may be negative but * complaining * about it is a bit silly

I think that one of the biggest problems with today is many people just expect everything on a plate and if they don't get it they get angry, if they are in the UK, Spain, France, Italy, India they have a right to......!!!!!! if they can't get up off their rear ends then they have a right to....... !!!! if they cannot afford a house then they have a right to..... !!! if they can't figure out how to add 2 and 2 they have a right to..... !!!!!! so basically when they can't buy what they need to make a steak and kidney pie they cannot understand why they can't do that, it never enters their heads that they are in a different country and if it does... they think it is their right to be able to get everything * they * need. I also think it is very British to be ignorant of the reality of things, maybe not very tuned in, or maybe not wanting to be. I worked here with people that came from the UK for short periods of 2 week contracts 'several times in the past', we didn't have Leroy's, DIY stores, in fact Spain was a totally different county to what it is now (think black and white), yet these people would make lists of things they wanted from hardware stores.... I remember once seeing 13 amp sockets on the list !!! some of the things just made me laugh, then when I tried to explain these things where not possible to buy here they would blurt out.... bloody backward country, how am I expected to do this if I can't get......, after a few of these jobs I ending up of the opinion my fellow British folk could be both selfish and stupidly ignorant.

Most of the expat people here and in other countries are the type of people who I am sure would never have gone abroad 30 years ago if they where to go back in time, because many of them have no sense of adventure and are not interested in the experiance and adventure of other countries, they are so set in their 'fish and chips', 'bangers and mash' that they miss out on some of the best food in Europe, bit like the children who say... don't like that but haven't tried it, my uncle never touched garlic or melted cheese when he first came here.... oh can't have that! after the first trip I made sure I didn't tell him what he was eating.... now he lives on melted cheese and garlic, callos, fabada, coles , coquines etc. etc. (ok, slight eggageration). so just because a person doesn't like * Spanish * food doesn't mean to say it is crap, my personal experience of it as many of the people I have taken to Spanish places... is that it is Spanish food can be great.
Most Spanish went to the UK 30 years ago did not for an "adventure" either,they went for the money, Spain could not give them what they needed to support themselves and family.
Most British come here for a nice life, sun, and enjoyment.
Lets be honest with ouselves, that is why we came.
I hate all the oneupmanship of "I am more integrated than you are, I have Spanish friends and live in a Spanish village, so we do mix with the natives and we only eat in Spanish places."
We dont speak to many of our neighbours, just living next door or near is not enough to build a friendship on, in my opinion.
I agree with trying to learn the language, it is a shame not to, but if you are not expecting a great job for a Spanish company, and can afford to pay a translator, no big deal

Yes we know Spanish food can be great.
We eat 3 sometimes 4 meals a day, so that is 20 odd meals a week, if I have my fish and chips, steak and ale pie, big brekkie etc, there is still lots of meals left for the "purists" to east Sapnish food.
Hey but Spain is a big country and there are loads of Spanish dishes that I would never eat, Tripe, pigs feet, pigs ear, rabbits heads, lamprea and others.
I may be Spanish but I cant stand these "psuedo Spanish" bleating on and on about pie eaters.
I live in on the costas because I want these things and I am seriously miffed if I dont get them. If not we would move to Leon or Galicia, all this in Rome do as the Romans do is crap. The sayin should be when in Rome do as the Romans do, sometimes.
If I went to an arab country, I would not embrace the culture I AM ME. I would conform to the customs and laws of the land but would still not change as a person. If you teach a parrot to bark he does not become a dog.

We did not come for the "Spanish culture" we have enough of that with the family in Galicia.
Most Brits here came to Spain in a priveliged position, They did not have to like it or lump it, like my inlaws in the UK. many already owned holiday homes.

They did not have to start a the bottom like the Spanish immigrants to the UK, they have (or had) money to spend and chose Spain to live in.

One of the big attractions is British TV, and the Britgrub, so what?
Pensioners are here to enjoy their autumn years.
Life is good, live and let live.
I am sick of tossers asking me why I support an English Footie Team with me being Spanish. I will not say which one because that will start another heated debate.

We support what we know and I was brought up watching them, they will always be my team just like Steak Pie will always be one of my favourite meals.
By the way I am NOT ME ME, I am her better half.

Regards
JLFS
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:48 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
Opinions or not your comment was way over the top. Perhaps next time you will think twice about posting such a thing.

Many thanks
Slap on the wrist, in public! Maybe me writing in a foreign (to me) language got interpreted wrongly. A warning by private messaging would be more correct perhaps?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Slap on the wrist, in public! Maybe me writing in a foreign (to me) language got interpreted wrongly. A warning by private messaging would be more correct perhaps?
The message you posted was public, hence my response.

But it's done and dusted now, let's just move on.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike Cross
I think it has been one of the best threads for some time.

I may have got a little off-topic once in a while but it is very popular.

I think it is also OK to knock Spain if that is your genuine belief and experience.

We don't have to like everything here.

Mike.
In my opinion expats seem to be very defensive of their adopted country and very critical of what they left .I think it is a bit over the top to denounce the UK which a lot seem to do and classify themselves Spanish after 5 mins I obviously live in both ,I prefer Spain for rest and relaxation (none better) and there is nothing wrong with the food either ,The UK has its ups and downs but still is a great place to live and work and as one person pointed out you can rarely earn in Spain what u do in the UK ,the cost of living in the UK in my opinion is now lower than Spain (Euro taken into consideration) Everywhere u look in the UK a meal for two in bar/ restaurants is as low as £6 and that even includes weekends now ,a lot of pubs are reducing their beer to around £2 a pint or lower .Both are great countries full of ups and downs so why not stop knocking each other and be happy where we are (wish I were in Spain right now though)
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ears332205 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
Why Have I never once in all the time I have ,lived or stayed in Spain i.e Costa Blanca inland heard anyone say anything good about Indian retaurants in the area ,does anyone know any decent ones ??
If in Ayamonte - try JAGS -

Last edited by Ears332205; Apr 21st 2009 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:43 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricketman
Some guy called livit is a good example, who goes on about Spain being corrupt and a backward country. He is entitled to his opinion, of course, it just that these kind of opinions dont match with mine - and I dont understand his motivation to write these kind of things.

Better to focus on the good things than the bad I guess, everyone is free to say and do what suits them best!

Can`t hide the truth I`m afraid, Spain is officially a corrupt country, backward nope, just not as modern as others would believe it to be.

My motivation is the opposite of your defence.

Many, many many years working and living in Spain, well away from tourist spots.

Madrid is not a typical example of Spain, anymore than the costa`s, its too cosmopolitan than typical Spain.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

That's a fair point livit.

Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia are cities where foreigners with a good command of Spanish will find well paid, even highly paid work. They are cosmopolitan and mostly pro European cities with many professionals and industries.

But, as soon as you move inland or near the costas, there is very little industry or commerce and consequently, lower wages and lower quality jobs.

However, going back just a few years, there were thousands of British earning up to tens of thousands per month selling property. One particular salesman I knew at the end of 2005 was earning €10,000 a month at the time, that was more than the British Prime Minister was earning in 2005.

Mind you, the salesman was doing a better job the Tony B Liar and more honest
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly. Those cities also attract lots of Spanish graduates who feel they have to go there to get a decent job. A little like a lot of UK graduates go to London. If you stay in your "region" in Spain then yes you may have to rely on good contacts to get your foot in the door, hence more difficult for people who are not locals and/or do not have a good command of the langauge
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes exactly. Those cities also attract lots of Spanish graduates who feel they have to go there to get a decent job. A little like a lot of UK graduates go to London. If you stay in your "region" in Spain then yes you may have to rely on good contacts to get your foot in the door, hence more difficult for people who are not locals and/or do not have a good command of the langauge
See you can post sensibly now that you have got to know people on here a bit better.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ears332205
If in Ayamonte - try JAGS -
From what I have seen of his menu, I wouldn`t call that an Indian restaurant.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Originally Posted by Veleta
Of course you can.......you live in NUEVA ANDALUCIA!!!

Try living in Spain and then searching for international food and wine....you won't find it so easy.
But why would I want international foods. I moved to Spain to eat and drink spanish.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by trentino
But why would I want international foods. I moved to Spain to eat and drink spanish.
Did you only eat English food when you were in England?

Did you never eat, Indian, Chinese, French, Italian, Greek, Mexican, Turkish, Spanish, Hungarian food because of the same ethos

Mike.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by trentino
Don't ask me. I was just responding to your comment, and I quote:

"dont know where you shop but around my way you can get foods from all over the world and wines from everywhere as well".
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike Cross
That's a fair point livit.

Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia are cities where foreigners with a good command of Spanish will find well paid, even highly paid work. They are cosmopolitan and mostly pro European cities with many professionals and industries.
This is not true of Valencia at all.

I live there and am tri-lingual a Belgian friend speaks 5 languages fluently and a Spanish friend born and bred in Valencia is bi-lingual, we have all been unemployed for 9 months and cannot find a job anywhere, not even a menial job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.