Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Nice explanation, thanks steviedeluxe
Try thinking of other peoples situations in Spain before you just jump in and come to the wrong conclusions.
You are in a different world to most people that post on here, 30 grand a year is a Kings wage to most on here.

You might also like to read the rules, especially 1 and 4 and show a bit of respect for other members, not a very good first post I am afraid. ;-(

PS, did you take the job and how long did you last with your bad attitude.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
1. spelling.... - inexcusable and I´m sorry.
2. I do not know enough Spaniards nor know the ones I do know well enough to label any of them racists, I am merely concerned that having thought moving to Spain so my son would be bilingual unlike most British people, and therefore have a better place in a modern world, I hear things which suggest that at least in some places, this will not be the case. I really do not like the suggestion that the thread was a disguised hate mail. What have I done or said to get your back up so much? Apart from anything else, I made it clear at the outset the girl in question is not known to me, it was a story from a friend. _
It is sad when anyone on this forum feels like this. Fionamw was telling her side of the story.
Spain is a wonderful country but it is not perfect, the same can be said for the UK.
We are all individuals and have our own code by which we live. I am an individual first and foremost and so is my other half.
We have an insight into both countries (probably more than any other couple on here, please note I said PROBABLY).
I hate the Brits who try to ram the "Spanish Dream" down our throats, (Laughable innit?) and will not hear a negative word about their adopted country. We are often critisized for being "turncoats". We have friends who refuse to go with us for an English breakfast, telling us we want Blackpool in the sun, and they would not dream of it as we are in Spain.
Hey, egg, bacon, mushrooms and toms are great anywhere. (and so is Blackpool by the way)

We are just living our life like lots of others on here, it is great to be able to communicate with other languages, but if one of my retired aunts went to live in the UK, I for one would not slate her for not getting to grips with the language.
Everyone has a different view of Spain, because we all want a different Spain.

The great thing is, there is a Spain for everyone, find yours and let others find their own.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:11 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fionamw
1. spelling.... - inexcusable and I´m sorry.
2. I do not know enough Spaniards nor know the ones I do know well enough to label any of them racists, I am merely concerned that having thought moving to Spain so my son would be bilingual unlike most British people, and therefore have a better place in a modern world, I hear things which suggest that at least in some places, this will not be the case. I really do not like the suggestion that the thread was a disguised hate mail. What have I done or said to get your back up so much? Apart from anything else, I made it clear at the outset the girl in question is not known to me, it was a story from a friend. _
I have a friend who has this great car for sale, it´s brand new, a very popular model and it´s on the market for half price. He just can´t seem to sell it. You think it´s because he is a foreigner he can´t sell his car ?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:12 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

True and well put.

I dont mean the post above mine that is a load of goolies, just the type of inane comment that is not welcome on a forum.
I was taking about the quote for about knowing the language is vital for a job and it is terrible that you a company like Iceland have staff working for them who cannot speak basic Spanish. They have the pick of the staff, why the hell did they give these people jobs.

Last edited by me me; Apr 21st 2009 at 10:23 am. Reason: Iwas talking about the post from ECON ,AND NOT THE ABOVE POST
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Try thinking of other peoples situations in Spain before you just jump in and come to the wrong conclusions.
You are in a different world to most people that post on here, 30 grand a year is a Kings wage to most on here.

You might also like to read the rules, especially 1 and 4 and show a bit of respect for other members, not a very good first post I am afraid. ;-(

PS, did you take the job and how long did you last with your bad attitude.
Sure I admit it wasnt a very respectful post, show respect and get it back, right Some of the posts on this forum are incredibly hateful. Some guy called livit is a good example, who goes on about Spain being corrupt and a backward country. He is entitled to his opinion, of course, it just that these kind of opinions dont match with mine - and I dont understand his motivation to write these kind of things.

Better to focus on the good things than the bad I guess, everyone is free to say and do what suits them best!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
I have a friend who has this great car for sale, it´s brand new, a very popular model and it´s on the market for half price. He just can´t seem to sell it. You think it´s because he is a foreigner he can´t sell his car ?
:curse: Words fail me..... (nearly)
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:55 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who works in Iceland and she is bi-lingual. How many spanish would actually shop there anyway

I agree many Brits do not speak enough spanish to get employed in a spanish co. but many do, particularly children of Brit parents who were born here. They cannot get jobs either, usually finish up working in a Brit owned bar, or Iceland if they are lucky
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Some guy called livit is a good example, who goes on about Spain being corrupt and a backward country. He is entitled to his opinion, of course, it just that these kind of opinions dont match with mine - and I dont understand his motivation to write these kind of things.
cricketman, Spain is a 'seriously' corrupt country! ignoring that fact will not just make that fact dissapear, if you have not discovered this yet then you will eventually. nor is speaking out about it wrong, doesn't mean to say he should go back to the UK either if he doesn't like corruption. This is something that is worth complaining about, * complaining * about not being able to get a tub of double cream is not!

Better to focus on the good things than the bad I guess, everyone is free to say and do what suits them best!
Sure, I agree you need to focus on positive and not negative but that doesn't make the negative things go away, you still need to be aware of them. Again, corruption is negative, is a reality and needs to be talked about, not getting a soda bread in Spain may be negative but * complaining * about it is a bit silly

I think that one of the biggest problems with today is many people just expect everything on a plate and if they don't get it they get angry, if they are in the UK, Spain, France, Italy, India they have a right to......!!!!!! if they can't get up off their rear ends then they have a right to....... !!!! if they cannot afford a house then they have a right to..... !!! if they can't figure out how to add 2 and 2 they have a right to..... !!!!!! so basically when they can't buy what they need to make a steak and kidney pie they cannot understand why they can't do that, it never enters their heads that they are in a different country and if it does... they think it is their right to be able to get everything * they * need. I also think it is very British to be ignorant of the reality of things, maybe not very tuned in, or maybe not wanting to be. I worked here with people that came from the UK for short periods of 2 week contracts 'several times in the past', we didn't have Leroy's, DIY stores, in fact Spain was a totally different county to what it is now (think black and white), yet these people would make lists of things they wanted from hardware stores.... I remember once seeing 13 amp sockets on the list !!! some of the things just made me laugh, then when I tried to explain these things where not possible to buy here they would blurt out.... bloody backward country, how am I expected to do this if I can't get......, after a few of these jobs I ending up of the opinion my fellow British folk could be both selfish and stupidly ignorant.

Most of the expat people here and in other countries are the type of people who I am sure would never have gone abroad 30 years ago if they where to go back in time, because many of them have no sense of adventure and are not interested in the experiance and adventure of other countries, they are so set in their 'fish and chips', 'bangers and mash' that they miss out on some of the best food in Europe, bit like the children who say... don't like that but haven't tried it, my uncle never touched garlic or melted cheese when he first came here.... oh can't have that! after the first trip I made sure I didn't tell him what he was eating.... now he lives on melted cheese and garlic, callos, fabada, coles , coquines etc. etc. (ok, slight eggageration). so just because a person doesn't like * Spanish * food doesn't mean to say it is crap, my personal experience of it as many of the people I have taken to Spanish places... is that it is Spanish food can be great.

Last edited by Econ; Apr 21st 2009 at 11:41 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I know someone who works in Iceland and she is bi-lingual. How many spanish would actually shop there anyway
It's called making an example and the Spanish do actually go there, maybe out of curiosity, maybe only once, maybe several times but some do go there, still no excuse for not trying to speak the language of the country you live and work in, especially when dealing with the public. I am a great supporter 'and not ashamed to be' of not allowing someone to work with the public in a country unless they have at least a basic command of the language of that country. Although I disagree totally with the Catalan's attitude and regulations, Catalunya is part of Spain so speaking Castillano should be enough.... not letting someone work in Wales unless they spoke Welsh is stupid.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I agree many Brits do not speak enough spanish to get employed in a spanish co. but many do, particularly children of Brit parents who were born here. They cannot get jobs either, usually finish up working in a Brit owned bar, or Iceland if they are lucky
As I explained the Spanish are having problems getting jobs themselves at the moment, in fact they have been for a while now.

I must say that I have been surprised at how many people who I have come across in employment here in the south who are biligual, only to discover they have British parents, I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited by Econ; Apr 21st 2009 at 11:43 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by me me
Why is some posters so hung up on deliberately not buying British products so as not to appear "A typical Brit"
I think it is wonderful to be able to buy things from your own homeland, cos I like McVitties ginger cake wherever I am. If my OH had to do without Branston Pickle he would not be a happy bunny.
When my mum found a shop that sold Spanish products in the UK she was over the moon, and although she paid a really high price she bought them whenever she could.
My brother and I had Nocilla when it was practically unheard of, now of course there is Nutella and it is available in the likes of ASDA.
We eat what we want, when we want.
We love our full English breakfast just as much as Spanish food, we are what we are and we like what we like.
To live in Spain you dont have to "become Spanishified".You can be yourself, that is the great thing about Spain.
We dont watch Spanish TV, it is rubbish, 90 % of the music we listen to is English, more variety and superior, we buy an English and Spanish newspaper everyday.
We love the fact that we have not had to do without all our favourites from England.
We have come back to our roots, but we find it quite funny that a lot of people we know, try to be more Spanish than we are, and like to ridicule us for our "British ways".
"They would never eat steak and ale pie and chips", well we do and bloody love it.
Very good honest reply ,and if a lot of people admitted they are the same ,I like all foods ie Spanish ,Mexican ,Indian ,Italian,Chinese to name but a few but there are a hell of a lot of good English dishes in the world ,I dont know why so many expats claim English food is crap and they only eat Spanish .I spend a lot of time in the UK but I dont always eat English so when I am in Spain I would not want to continuously eat Spanish as they say nothing like a bit of Variety .
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ears332205 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Prejudice against Estranjeros in the jobs market?

Originally Posted by Jur
They really after you, aren´t they ? Come down to Ayamonte and we´ll have a proper meal because I honestly think that you´ve had the wrong experience.

Totally agree. I lived in Ayamonte for a year, ate out every Friday and Saturday night and most Sundays. Never had a bad meal. And the staff were clean, friendly and became friends.

Think I may have eaten some Bulls Testicals, not knowingly, at the Food Festival in August.

The worst meal I had was an Indian from the Indian in Cartaya - english owned

Last edited by Ears332205; Apr 21st 2009 at 12:23 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ears332205
Totally agree. I lived in Ayamonte for a year, ate out every Friday and Saturday night and most Sundays. Never had a bad meal. And the staff were clean, friendly and became friends.

Think I may have eaten some Bulls Testicals, not knowingly, at the Food Festival in August.

The worst meal I had was an Indian from the Indian in Cartaya - english owned
Why Have I never once in all the time I have ,lived or stayed in Spain i.e Costa Blanca inland heard anyone say anything good about Indian retaurants in the area ,does anyone know any decent ones ??
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur

I´m out too, don´t like it when threads are disguised hate-mails.
All I see in this thread are people expressing their opinions, everyone is entitled that. But I don't see anyone directing "hate-mails" at anyone else.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:22 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
All I see in this thread are people expressing their opinions, everyone is entitled that. But I don't see anyone directing "hate-mails" at anyone else.
I realise that Hate-mail is not the correct expression, but it´s a very negative statement on Spain´s recruitment attitude even though it was someonelse´s story/daughter. But hey, it´s just opinions, right?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

I think it has been one of the best threads for some time.

I may have got a little off-topic once in a while but it is very popular.

I think it is also OK to knock Spain if that is your genuine belief and experience.

We don't have to like everything here.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.