Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pregnant and moving to Spain soon!

Pregnant and moving to Spain soon!

Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:56 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant and moving to Spain soon!

Originally Posted by JLFS
Jesus, it took 2 nurses to shave your bits?....................RESPECT......
Perhaps one was on job experience
Made me feel good though.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:03 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
Must be well different in CB, here in the hospitals they are all small rooms and ensuite bathrooms, 2 people max.
Yes the wards are subdivided into rooms but they are still wards. The ward we were in for the second baby was for miscarriages because they had run out of space in the delivery suite. What do you think it must have felt like for the girl sharing the room with us after just giving birth to her week 30 dead foetus two days earlier?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to make a more general observation/question. Do you have clearly in mind what you would want in terms of antenatal care, labour, delivery & so on if you were in the UK? If you do, is that an informed choice on the basis of contacts/friends & maybe speaking to some health professionals?
Just bear in mind that there will be good and bad staff and good and bad clinics/hospitals in Spain just as anywhere. However, regardless of the quality of location/care, unless you are fluent in Spanish you will be at a disadvantage from the word go. Having a translator provided if that is available, though obviously better than nothing, is not going to help stress levels in labour, which is one time a woman needs to be as stress free as possible. This factor, which can be influenced by all sorts of things from tone of voice of someone speaking to you to policy on examinations, monitoring, timekeeping, etc etc., affects both mother and child.
Unless you have no alternative, I'd reconsider & find yourself somewhere you're confident with in the UK so at very least if there are discussions to be had you and/or your partner/family can do so freely.
Whatever your decision, I hope you have the outcome you want & all goes well.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachel26
... have seen all your messages and understand what you mean about flying. I may well put it off until the baby has been born actually, going on what I've read and what you've been saying. Still would like to know the meaning of these words though because will be going to live in Spain sooner or later!
Glad to see you have reconsidered.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:46 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
We've had 3 here so definitely been through the mill. One time someone came to take the temperature and dropped the mercury thermometer on the floor. When I complained they sent in a woman with a mop to spread the mercury round the floor without clearing it up. My wife was in for a c-section and they placed us in with all the people that had miscarried. We were the only ones in there with a baby. It was very awkward. My biggest gripe is people don't introduce themselves. You've never seen them before and they come in the room and insert a thermometer in your ear. Or tell you something about what's going to be done and they haven't even told you their name or position.
Sounds quite awful. In the CDS hospital it was remarkable to be honest. We had heard all kinds of rumours and horror stories but everything was great. The nurses and doctors all spoke in English, the nurse that delivered the baby was really good, she was Iranian, did all her training in England and then brought back the knowledge to spain.
Most of the nurses there had been to universities in England as I recall. That's why their English was so good. (Some had only been for as little as six months and their English was brilliant) Me was dead jealous coz it were betta dan mine.