Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pre paid funerals

Pre paid funerals

Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre paid funerals

Originally Posted by Fred James
Out of interest, who would notify the bank of a death?
Depends on where you live. I initially did not notify them as I was determined to move as much of the funds as possible from the joint account into my account. However, when I went into the branch for some cash as the machine was not working the bank manager called me into his office, gave me his condolences and said that he was aware of what I was doing but not to worry as he was not freezing the account.

Small town, we were the only Brits, news travels fast but in a larger place this would not happen so the bereaved would be the ones doing the notifying.

Rosemary
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pre paid funerals

Originally Posted by Fred James
Out of interest, who would notify the bank of a death?
In our village the neighbours would know immediately and the bank manager would know but in normal circumstances it is the deceased spouse who has a duty to inform all authorities including the UK bank too.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre paid funerals

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
In our village the neighbours would know immediately and the bank manager would know but in normal circumstances it is the deceased spouse who has a duty to inform all authorities including the UK bank too.
FWIW, in France you have to notify the Town Hall within a couple of days, armed with the Doctor's Certificate. There's a list of organisatins who the spouse or next-of-kin has to inform (enclosing a Death Certificate each time) and by which deadline, e.g. the Pensions Office, Tax Office, healthcare provider, bank, all insurances, etc... and the Notary if property is involved.
Bureaucracy follows you even in death....