Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

pre paid euro cards

pre paid euro cards

Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default pre paid euro cards

Has anyone any experience of these please?

Whilst in France a month ago used our credit card and good rates of exchange however when the statement came in 2.99% charge for non-sterling transaction.

Bit of an irritation really but I do understand (I think) the reasoning.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre paid euro cards

Get a Halifax Clarity Credit Card You will get Commercial exchange rates and no charges
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:36 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You have to read the charging structure.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:26 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need them because I don't spend from UK banks, but CantonFX prepaid card seems to be highly rated. No charges, slightly under interbank exchange rates.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Caxton info
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just got a Caxton FX card. The Global one.
You load it with sterling, and you can use it in the US, Europe, the Far East ... wherever. There are no charges (apart from what you might get for withdrawing cash at ATM's) and the rates of exchange are competitive as well.

I did this because I am fed up of American Express and Mastercard etc taking their 2.7% or whatever for using a card in a foreign country. Especially American Express ... you know, the card for the global traveller!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

nat west and many others now do a credit card that you dont pay any fees for europe and give you a good exchange rate ,when you use a card in spain they should ask if you want to pay in euros or sterling ,alway opt for the local currency if not they will give a really bad rate, pr paid cards ae good but you cant use them to hire cars and such , look at the card repayment structure.
1/ if you take money out as cash there is a charge and a exchange charge, you also get charged from day one with interest if you take money out of Spanish machine you may get charged to do this

2/if you use it to pay for items pay in local currency

3/ read the terms of use ie how much they will charge you for using their card and the fees in europe

we use a nat west card and pay it off in full when we get home so never get charged
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks to everyone
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shazzabob whilst it now looks like we are going to a pre paid FX with Caxton I have today spoken to Nat West who have been our bank for let us say 35+ years.

They say they do not provide either a pre paid card just simply the standard card. If you use it in another country you are charged with 2.75% of the amount as a non-sterling transaction. Therefore if you have information which contradicts this please let me know by pm.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

I have an Abbey Zero (now Santander) credit card, a Nationwide Gold credit card and a Halifax credit card. I do not pay commission or exchange rate charges on any of them but get the bank exchange rate which obviously can vary from day today.

For cash, I use my Santander debit card in a Santander ATM and again don't get any charges although this only works in Spain.

Kath
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I use Halifax clarity credit card. Fee free for purchases and 1% for cash, if you pay balance at end of month. All the "free cards" are better value than the likes of Caxton.

I didn't know about the Santander fee free cash, though. Missed a trick, obviously!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

just closed my Santander account due to a huge service issue and where they lost a substantial cheque for almost eight months.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Shazzabob whilst it now looks like we are going to a pre paid FX with Caxton I have today spoken to Nat West who have been our bank for let us say 35+ years.

They say they do not provide either a pre paid card just simply the standard card. If you use it in another country you are charged with 2.75% of the amount as a non-sterling transaction. Therefore if you have information which contradicts this please let me know by pm.

I can tell you that I got a Caxton Card because I know someone who travels round the world, the States, Middle East, Europe .... he's probably got more experience than all of us put together, so I think you made the right decision

Remember though, if you get the global card you charge it in sterling. That means you can be in the US, Far East, Europe or Australia, and still use the same card. The rate of exchange will be the day that you make the transaction. There are no fees. They don't charge if you withdraw cash from ATM's BUT the ATM operator might. In the US I pay between $2 AND $3 per withdrawal, whatever amount
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

i stand corrected just look it is a nationwide credit card sorry
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Nationwide card for purchases and a Halifax clarity card for cash.
No charge on either and you get the commercial rate. The clarity card charges interest at 12.99%pa on cash withdrawals, so around 1% on the value of the cash withdrawn.
I was over at 18-25th july and was getting a tad over 1.26, so around 1.245 after interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.