Reload this Page >

Pre existing conditions, health insurance issues

Pre existing conditions, health insurance issues

Old Mar 13th 2022, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

KateInky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre existing conditions, health insurance issues

Hi

My parents live in Spain and have residence there and are both in their 80’s.

it is my hope to move over there to look after them. I’m 54 but have underlying health issues. Mainly 5 stents put in in November 2019. I’ve not had any heart related or angina issues since.

but in order to get a visa, NLV I need to have full health insurance. I’m finding it very hard to get any cover for heart issues.

currently my only hope seems to stay in the UK and retire in 12 years time with an S1!

Has anyone had similar issues but found a health insurance broker who will work with you. I know I’m going to have to pay high cost, but that’s not an issue.

I’d like to be able to look after my parents in their last years, not just visit them for occasional visits.

Last edited by KateInky; Mar 13th 2022 at 1:35 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre existing conditions, health insurance issues

Originally Posted by KateInky
Hi

it is my hope to move over there to look after them. I’m 54 but have underlying health issues. Mainly 5 stents put in in November 2019. I’ve not had any heart related or angina issues since.

but in order to get a visa, NLV I need to have full health insurance. I’m finding it very hard to get any cover for heart issues.

currently my only hope seems to stay in the UK and retire in 12 years time with an S1!

Has anyone had similar issues but found a health insurance broker who will work with you. I know I’m going to have to pay high cost, but that’s not an issue.

I’d like to be able to look after my parents in their last years, not just visit them for occasional visits.
I would have thought that someone would insure you for a year although it might be quite high. If money is a problem the question would be how will you finance your time in Spain? Plus is the S1 and free healthcare available to uk nats who arrive after Brexit? I thought that was only for those resident before it.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I would have thought that someone would insure you for a year although it might be quite high. If money is a problem the question would be how will you finance your time in Spain? Plus is the S1 and free healthcare available to uk nats who arrive after Brexit? I thought that was only for those resident before it.
You have no choice but to get a private medical insurance covering your conditions no matter what the cost. After a year you can contribute to state healthcare through Covenio Especial at 60 euro a month. It has no exclusions but you have to pay the full cost of medication. Generic medicines are much cheaper than in UK, averaging around £2 to £3 for a month's supply.
S1 is now only issued to those eligible for UK state pension (and not to those eligible for some other UK benefits), can be used for visa application, and you don't have to have been resident in EU before 31st December 2020. This was a last-minute deal struck with EU.

Last edited by Joppa; Mar 13th 2022 at 6:01 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read this?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...canary-islands
Old Mar 13th 2022, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

and commit fraud and invalidate your policy.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joppa
You have no choice but to get a private medical insurance covering your conditions no matter what the cost. After a year you can contribute to state healthcare through Covenio Especial at 60 euro a month. It has no exclusions but you have to pay the full cost of medication. Generic medicines are much cheaper than in UK, averaging around £2 to £3 for a month's supply.
S1 is now only issued to those eligible for UK state pension (and not to those eligible for some other UK benefits), can be used for visa application, and you don't have to have been resident in EU before 31st December 2020. This was a last-minute deal struck with EU.

Thats what I’m hoping to do is get the first full year living there under the NLV and then do the Covenio Especial after that. If only I could chose that option now! I’d happily pay triple the monthly fee😂

But I need to get the insurance first year!

Im planning on calling and contacting a load of insurers tomorrow. But had hoped maybe someone on here would know of one that will work with me.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Which insurance company should I choose?

Sanitas is the largest private health insurer in Spain. The following are prevalent insurance companies that you’ll find there:
https://wise.com/us/blog/health-insu...0some%20months.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

Which insurance company should I choose?

Sanitas is the largest private health insurer in Spain. The following are prevalent insurance companies that you’ll find there:https://wise.com/us/blog/health-insu...0some%20months.
I read the highlighted paragraph in your last link saying that healthcare for pre-existing conditions cannot be refused. However, that relates to care in the public system. Insurance companies can and do exclude pre-existing condtions from cover (it is not necessarily a matter of paying higher premiums as some previous posters have suggested). Indeed the very next paragraph in your link says:-

"To make extra sure your pre-existing conditions will always be treated, it’s best to sign up for supplemental health insurance. Private medical companies vary in whether they choose to treat a pre-existing condition, just like in any country, so it’s a good idea to shop around for the best rates and plan for you."

I have a heart condition myself and can't even get travel insurance which does not exclude anything related to it (and companies have also stressed that my husband would not be covered for any expenses relating to my heart condition either, eg cancellation costs or accommodation should I need to be hospitalised whilst travelling) let alone a private health policy suitable for a visa.

I wish the OP luck in finding a suitable policy but fear it may be an impossible task.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have you tried BUPA ? Obviously everybody and every case is different, I have stents and they cover me, however they needed to be satisfied that there had been no issues for 12 months and the reason for the stents had been reduced/removed and not simply that I had no issues since. Basically they had to see a lifestyle change since the stents - Weight loss, cholesterol reduction to normal levels and a stress echo/cardiac fitness. For me this needs to be satisfied annually.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKMS
Have you tried BUPA ? Obviously everybody and every case is different, I have stents and they cover me, however they needed to be satisfied that there had been no issues for 12 months and the reason for the stents had been reduced/removed and not simply that I had no issues since. Basically they had to see a lifestyle change since the stents - Weight loss, cholesterol reduction to normal levels and a stress echo/cardiac fitness. For me this needs to be satisfied annually.
Hi

Thanks for the information. Can I ask did they cover you with underwriting added? And I’m assuming that was acceptable for NLV?

Going to try and call them instead of doing the online quote. Try and explain that I’ve had no issues since last stents put in November 2019. I also walk about 8-10 miles a day with my job and I’ve had no angina since 2019. Proving that issues are gone or not getting worse. I do still take my meds everyday, but have had nothing that would send me back to a&e or my gp.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the information. Can I ask did they cover you with underwriting added? And I’m assuming that was acceptable for NLV?

Going to try and call them instead of doing the online quote. Try and explain that I’ve had no issues since last stents put in November 2019. I also walk about 8-10 miles a day with my job and I’ve had no angina since 2019. Proving that issues are gone or not getting worse. I do still take my meds everyday, but have had nothing that would send me back to a&e or my gp.
They covered me based on the medical reports of my current heart health which are factual (weight, body measurements, cholesterol and a stress echo) and as the policy is renewed annually this has to be done annually (I have 6 monthly cardio checks anyway) . I'm not a doctor but proving you walk and saying that nothing has happened doesn't really help prove that the problems don't still exist or help them assess future risks . Personally I would arm yourself with factual medical reports about your current health before you start to talk to them or at least be prepared to do that. Mine is a BUPA global policy and gives me full coverage anywhere in the world except USA (its not a travel policy its an expat healthcare policy).
Old Mar 15th 2022, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Richielisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you currently have private healthcare with BUPA? This is generally transferable to Sanitas which is the Spanish name for BUPA.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richielisa
Do you currently have private healthcare with BUPA? This is generally transferable to Sanitas which is the Spanish name for BUPA.
Yes I have but im not looking to change mine …… I was simply suggesting it to the OP as an option.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UKMS
Yes I have but im not looking to change mine …… I was simply suggesting it to the OP as an option.
sorry...replied to you instead of the originator! Doh!
Old Mar 15th 2022, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi