Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The power of prayer

The power of prayer

Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:41 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The power of prayer

We have friends who are into religion. Have known them for over 20 yrs and a nice couple. They never mention anything about God etc. and I would be offended if they did discuss it. One year I received one of those round robin type xmas e-mails. I think we were included by mistake and was aimed at their churchy friends. Was full of the most ludricous statements such as "G's knee has been much better this year thanks to God and all your prayers" went on and on.....all that was missing was the hallelujahs I find it difficult to imagine they are the same people I know socially.

One half of my family is Jewish, some do have bar mitzvahs and celebrate other festivals but not sure they are actually believers, just similar to lots who say they are C of E. I can't imagine myself ever believing in any hairy-fairy superior being.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

there are people out there chasing the atom, looking back to the actual Big Bang who are devout believers in God - that their work may disprove there is a God doesnt stop them from still looking.

It is something within man to extend boundaries, to look for the unknown, to improve knowledge.

But it doesnt stop man believing there is a deity who is responsible for it all.

Just be careful when man reaches the end of the universe and finds that it is all a big experiment in a goldfish bowl in an alien laboratory...................
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:52 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Yes, I am aware of that and hope I have been sensitive in my statements.

I have also in the past advised a member of my church that many unbelievers would find it offensive to be asked if they would like to be prayed for and that she needed to be more sensitive in her dealings with people. I can still remember how I felt when I was an unbeliever!

As I say, I believe that God communicates in ways we understand, but human beings quite often get it wrong
Iam often in the prayers of family members, after every phone conversation or visit, I am reminded of that fact, and it makes me feel great, to think that these people have health problems, age related problems, and yet the still find room for thoughts of my well being.

I often find myself thinking of them with love and quietly asking God to let them live a while longer.
I am still on the fence though, I am a believer or not???? I really dont know.

But on the other hand the older people I know who are commited to their God, seem to have a serenity about them.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:57 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
there are people out there chasing the atom, looking back to the actual Big Bang who are devout believers in God - that their work may disprove there is a God doesnt stop them from still looking.

It is something within man to extend boundaries, to look for the unknown, to improve knowledge.

But it doesnt stop man believing there is a deity who is responsible for it all.

Just be careful when man reaches the end of the universe and finds that it is all a big experiment in a goldfish bowl in an alien laboratory...................
No - it will never be proven there is no God - it is not logically possible. Some believers quote this as being an argument for the existence of God - but that is a big mistake.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:01 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
No - it will never be proven there is no God - it is not logically possible. Some believers quote this as being an argument for the existence of God - but that is a big mistake.
a very illogical post Mr Spock
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:08 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Iam often in the prayers of family members, after every phone conversation or visit, I am reminded of that fact, and it makes me feel great, to think that these people have health problems, age related problems, and yet the still find room for thoughts of my well being.

I often find myself thinking of them with love and quietly asking God to let them live a while longer.
I am still on the fence though, I am a believer or not???? I really dont know.

But on the other hand the older people I know who are commited to their God, seem to have a serenity about them.
I agree with your post and did so when I was an unbeliever. However I do know some unbelievers who would be offended if you offered to pray for them or said something like God Bless to them.

Therefore I try to be sensitive as to the person I am speaking to and use appropriate language.

On the fence is OK to be, providing that is because you genuinely do not know what side to come down on and are seeking a way out of that dilemma.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Evolution theories disprove it but they don't accept it. Didn't one Bishop say don't believe everything you read in the bible
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:11 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I agree that the existence (or not) of God cannot be proved by means of scientific knowledge as we have it at the moment, but never forget this famous quote by Carl Sagan:

'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:12 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Evolution theories disprove it but they don't accept it. Didn't one Bishop say don't believe everything you read in the bible
Well if you read the old testament its hard to say anything else!!! Apparently Jehovah witnesses believe every single word???????????

Jo xxx
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:17 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the existence (or not) of God cannot be proved by means of scientific knowledge as we have it at the moment, but never forget this famous quote by Carl Sagan:

'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.
So this could all be a great big hoax, started by a few ancient scriptures and writings found and translated????? But cos its been spread around for so long its taken on a life of its own. If theres no proof there has to be at least some evidence that there is something and there isnt. using your theory I could believe in a big white rabbit called harvey who saved man and the world!!??

Jo xxx
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:17 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If by 'it' you mean the existence of God, then no they don't disprove it. I believe in evolution and also in a Creator God. I believe that the Big Bang could be the equivalent of 'Let there be Light' and that God set his creatoin up to work through the process of evolution.

I incline to the theme of Intelligent Design.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:19 pm
squeaky clean

If by 'it' you mean the existence of God, then no they don't disprove it. I believe in evolution and also in a Creator God. I believe that the Big Bang could be the equivalent of 'Let there be Light' and that God set his creatoin up to work through the process of evolution.

I incline to the theme of Intelligent Design.
So where was God when all this was going on?? Who made him??

Jo xxx
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:23 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
So this could all be a great big hoax, started by a few ancient scriptures and writings found and translated????? But cos its been spread around for so long its taken on a life of its own. If theres no proof there has to be at least some evidence that there is something and there isnt. using your theory I could believe in a big white rabbit called harvey who saved man and the world!!??

Jo xxx
I said that it could not be proved or disproved by accepted scientific methods. I didn't say it couldn't be proved to my (and millions of others) satisfaction. I didn't just wake up one day and decide to believe. There was evidence that made me realise God was real and that the things Christians said about Jesus were true. They are not things that can be measured or tested though. To quote an even greater Scientist:

'Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured, matters' (Albert Einstein).
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:24 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
So where was God when all this was going on?? Who made him??

Jo xxx
God is outside Time and therefore eternal.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:32 pm
squeaky clean

God is outside Time and therefore eternal.
Really??? Sorry that doesnt work for me. This is mans need to have answers to questions that are difficult to answer. I prefer to accept that the earth, the universe, etc is too big for us to understand. I cant make up a superior being who is outside of it all and who chats to folk and is unbelievably cruel in the old testament, who splits in three to become the trinity, but is also the same god/allah who muslims believe in, accept they wont admit it and their allah makes women wear burkahs and cover up........ Then theres Jesus, who I'm sure existed and had some radical views, some nice views, but thats it as far as I can see!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.