Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Power cuts killed external hard drive...

Power cuts killed external hard drive...

Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Power cuts killed external hard drive...

Me again, just realized you guys may be able to help...

We've been having a hell of a lot of power cuts lately, and another last night which has killed my external hard drive....

All my home office (computer, fax, printer, phone etc.) is attached to an expensive surge plug......

Should I try my luck with the electric co. or the surge plug manufacturers that state that their plug should save all?

ps. am feeling pretty thankful that it was only the hard drive to go, but am now worried about my mac...)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power cuts killed external hard drive...

What exactly do you mean by "An expensive surge plug"?

Some do offer compensation but proving it was their fault could be tricky.

Best to use a decent UPS with a battery and built in surge protector.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Hola,

It is an extension lead with surge protection, cost near 50 euros and according to the box gives ample protection for what I am plugging into it...

They guarantee that things will survive a surge..... all did except the hard drive...

What is an UPS?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hola,
What is an UPS?
Uninterruptible power supply. Basically, it's a battery device, often with surge protection, that kicks in when you lose mains power. Seems a must have in Spain!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds interesting, tell me more....

Are they expensive?

We lost a spa this year to a power surge, and am so worried about my computer, especially now considering I've lost my back-up!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds interesting, tell me more....

Are they expensive?

We lost a spa this year to a power surge, and am so worried about my computer, especially now considering I've lost my back-up!
They are not all much more expensive than your expensive surge plug :-)
I think ours cost about €65-€70 each
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:17 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

£40.15 for a UPS here:
http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...prodID=B274492
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:06 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that the drive itself is OK, its just power to the case that had gone.
Had this on one of mine after a power cut - the unit would have no power. but I bought a new external drive, opened it up, and just connect whichever drive I want to use....data saved!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

I had never heard of it before, should've bought one of them rather than the extension lead!

Am going to look into it!

Has anyone ever successfully claimed off the electric company before?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had never heard of it before, should've bought one of them rather than the extension lead!

Am going to look into it!

Has anyone ever successfully claimed off the electric company before?
If you do buy a UPS I'd spend a bit more and get a descent make that you know won't fail.

Spend about €80 - €100 and go for an APC or if you can't get one a Salicru.

It's like everything in life, you get what you pay for and will save in the long term.

I've heard people getting money back for electrical equipment but for the time it would take and the cost of the hard drive I wouldn't bother.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Neil29649
If you do buy a UPS I'd spend a bit more and get a descent make that you know won't fail.

Spend about €80 - €100 and go for an APC or if you can't get one a Salicru.
Been using these Riello iDialog UPS for over three years now. Never had any problems nor any of my clients. You don't always have to pay over the odds for good stuff. With APC you're paying for the brand name as well
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all, will start searching for one....

I've no idea what output my computer etc needs, so I have to learn about that....

Thank you for that link ShinyAndy, that whole website looks a lot cheaper than MediaMart and Worton!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

No problem! Get all my stuff from them and never had a problem. Generally comes next day if you order early enough (and it´s in stock!)