Reload this Page >

Potential Move to Barcelona/Madrid - lots of ?'s

Potential Move to Barcelona/Madrid - lots of ?'s

Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Moomin18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Potential Move to Barcelona/Madrid - lots of ?'s

Hi all

I am going to try and keep this to the point as I have a lot of questions. My husband is Spanish and I am self employed in the UK. I consultant for large corporations. As everyone else who has left, we crave a better lifestyle and sun and as he is Spanish, I know exactly what that means .
I have an opportunity where I may be able to work 3 days a week in the UK and spend the rest of the week in Spain. I have seen a lot a of threads but they don't seem to answer the self employed question:

- I think I will only be liable to UK tax. I am checking with my accountant but wondered if anyone else was/is in the same boat, am I wrong?
- Do I need to declare this income in Spain? If so, why?
- I will be staying at my parents in the UK, my company is UK based.
- Will I have to pay anything in Spain? My husband will not have a job at first and will start looking as soon as we get there
- As he is Spanish and we are married, do I get residency automatically or what is the deal there?
- Am I missing anything major here?

I basically do not want to make the move and then be hit by huge bills we did not think of.

I also have another opportunity in Dubai and want to make sure I am making the right choice in turning that one down.

Appreciate these questions are ask in different formats all the time, so if anyone finds something in another thread feel free to just direct me there.

Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move to Barcelona/Madrid - lots of ?'s

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2018, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomin18
Hi all

I am going to try and keep this to the point as I have a lot of questions. My husband is Spanish and I am self employed in the UK. I consultant for large corporations. As everyone else who has left, we crave a better lifestyle and sun and as he is Spanish, I know exactly what that means .
I have an opportunity where I may be able to work 3 days a week in the UK and spend the rest of the week in Spain. I have seen a lot a of threads but they don't seem to answer the self employed question:

- I think I will only be liable to UK tax. I am checking with my accountant but wondered if anyone else was/is in the same boat, am I wrong?
- Do I need to declare this income in Spain? If so, why?
- I will be staying at my parents in the UK, my company is UK based.
- Will I have to pay anything in Spain? My husband will not have a job at first and will start looking as soon as we get there
- As he is Spanish and we are married, do I get residency automatically or what is the deal there?
- Am I missing anything major here?

I basically do not want to make the move and then be hit by huge bills we did not think of.

I also have another opportunity in Dubai and want to make sure I am making the right choice in turning that one down.

Appreciate these questions are ask in different formats all the time, so if anyone finds something in another thread feel free to just direct me there.

Thanks
Assuming you do move as a family you should have no problem getting residency but you will have to apply for it either under "Normal conditions" , that is after 90 days in the country or, once your husband has settled he can "bring you along " as "agrupacion familiar" . Either way you should get residence.

Once you pass the 183 day limit you become tax resident as well and assuming you are above the minimum income threashold ( check but I think it is €11,000 ) , you will have to make a declaration in Spain which covers your worldwide income. Also you will need to do an annual Worldwide Wealth Declaration, normally by March of each year.

Once tax resident in Spain you need to inform the UK Tax Office and your income there, under double taxation treaties should be exempt as a Non-resident.

i am no tax expert so do make the right consultations.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 11:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along

Once tax resident in Spain you need to inform the UK Tax Office and your income there, under double taxation treaties should be exempt as a Non-resident.

Income earned or arising in the UK is taxed in the UK irrespective of residency. There are some exemptions to this such as state or work pensions and annuities which can be paid gross with no tax deducted.

All other income will be taxed in the UK but can be offset against the tax paid in the country of residence.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Assuming you do move as a family you should have no problem getting residency but you will have to apply for it either under "Normal conditions" , that is after 90 days

If it is your intention to become resident it is not necessary to wait 90 days to apply, you can apply from day one.