Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Postal charges from Spain to Uk

Postal charges from Spain to Uk

Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal charges from Spain to Uk

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm reading a book at the moment, bought second hand from Amazon. Never tried it before, but it said excellent condition, and it's as new, I can't tell that it isn't a brand new book. Book cost £12.99, I paid £2, including postage, it'll be hard to compete with that! Some here from £1.26, including postage!I wish the OP luck, but I think they'll struggle to live solely from that. Wherever I've been in "britified" areas, there seems to be loads of books available for next to nothing.
No books in non "britified" areas....but then again no brits to buy them.

Rosemary
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Also e readers are going to make a big dent in the treebook department. Having used mine for a couple of weeks now I cannot ever see me buying a book new or secondhand. Easier and more comfortable to use and so many thousands of free books to read. Egged on to buy by one or two posters on here it looks to be the best cost saving investment that I have ever bought.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 8th 2011 at 8:01 am. Reason: spelyng erer
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities
No books in non "britified" areas....but then again no brits to buy them.

Rosemary
Our local Carrefour used to have a small English book selection but it seems to have disappeared now.

Graham
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suninthesky
hi rosemary I deal in seconhand books in the uk and am hoping to come down to spain end of year with a view to selling them in spanish book shops, in your travels have you seen much of english books in spanish bookshops, paerbacks novels, fiction non fiction, and if so waht are the prices like. Becuse I can bring down lorry loads.
There is a long-established second hand bookshop in Nerja (Calle Granada) which has a huge stock of English books, also some in other languages. They are a bit expensive (up to 4.60€ for a recently published one) but credit you with 50% of the purchase price when you return the book and buy another one, so after the initial outlay it isn't so bad. I go there every few weeks to stock up as they seem to continually get new stock in and I can always rely on finding recently published books that I haven't already read - which isn't the case with any market stalls or charity shops I've been to.

There is another shop in Torre del Mar called Pasatiempo which runs a similar system and is a bit cheaper (most of theirs are priced at 3.00€ again with a 50% credit for returned books) but doesn't have as much stock.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

Until recently I bought English paperbacks in Benidorm whenever I went there. Several of us then swapped them. When we had all read them they went to the local charity shop.

Now I have bought a Kindle (as have lots of my friends here). That seems to be the ideal solution.

Before we were very limited to what books were available. It was so annoying to enjoy a book and find out it was book one of a series and not being able to get the others.

Now I spend on average £1 to download a book. Some newer ones cost more and some are free.

Also, I do not have to worry about where to store books in our small house.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
Until recently I bought English paperbacks in Benidorm whenever I went there. Several of us then swapped them. When we had all read them they went to the local charity shop.

Now I have bought a Kindle (as have lots of my friends here). That seems to be the ideal solution.

Before we were very limited to what books were available. It was so annoying to enjoy a book and find out it was book one of a series and not being able to get the others.

Now I spend on average £1 to download a book. Some newer ones cost more and some are free.

Also, I do not have to worry about where to store books in our small house.
I love "proper" books and resisted, no actually, I refused point blank to go down the Kindle route for a very long time. However, as you so rightly said storing books becomes more and more difficult. Although we could have put in more bookshelves we were in danger of dedicating the whole house to books. So when I ordered one for OH I buckled under and bought one for myself as well, I now read both and know that although I can have a wide choice of books on the Kindle there are some that I will still prefer to buy in the normal format. Mainly this is because of ones that I already have on my bookshelf and to me it seems a shame to have 80% of a series in one format and the rest in another.

Do you think that you will get to the stage whereby you do not have any tree book novels in the house? I think that my OH will end up with purely books on Kindle but I have a feeling that I will not, my resistance is still quite strong. Common sense normally prevails with me but on this I do not think it will win. Sad, thats me.

Rosemary
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we will always have non-fiction books in the house. Especially where pictures and photos are involved.

Unless the technology changes drastically Kindle can never compete with books for things like atlases, bird books, travel books etc.

The other advantage of having a Kindle is 3G access to the internet when travelling and away from wireless access. I cruise a lot and it is ideal for taking books with me on the ship without making heavy luggage.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of first editions datiing from 1890, not well known books so not worth much, but let me know when a Kindle or any other electronic device of that age has the feel, smell and the connection with history they have.

ps - I personally prefer the "written" word in all ways, extensive looking at screens gives me a headache,
but have been addicted to computers since my first introduction back in the 60's
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:56 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There are several proper English bookshops in my area and their survival rate seems to be much better than that of other British businesses. I have bookshelves all over my house, all full up, and prefer them to fancy mirrors, Chinese ornaments, family photos, or wall clocks.

Only the books smell and it's a smell I like. My Kindle doesn't smell, and I don't use it much.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:20 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
There are several proper English bookshops in my area and their survival rate seems to be much better than that of other British businesses. I have bookshelves all over my house, all full up, and prefer them to fancy mirrors, Chinese ornaments, family photos, or wall clocks.

Only the books smell and it's a smell I like. My Kindle doesn't smell, and I don't use it much.
Japanese netsuke - just holding them seems to bring a connection to the individual who made it

Clocks & Watches - a weakness since a child and took my first one apart and couldn't get all the funny little bits back together again before my father found out.

sometimes looking at photos of ancient pieces isn't enough, want to touch and get that connection, so if you bump into a guiri in an ancient monument, cathedral etc just standing there rubbing his hand over a piece of sculpturing and communing with the artisan who was lucky enough to leave his mark for the enjoyment of others many centuries later - probably be me
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by dominosafety
I have a couple of first editions datiing from 1890, not well known books so not worth much, but let me know when a Kindle or any other electronic device of that age has the feel, smell and the connection with history they have.

ps - I personally prefer the "written" word in all ways, extensive looking at screens gives me a headache,
but have been addicted to computers since my first introduction back in the 60's
The beauty of the Kindle is that unlike computers, laptops etc the screen is not backlit. I find that it is easier on the eyes than a book particularly having the ability to instantly change the font size so bigger writing easier to read. The downside, I used to read for about an hour at bedtime then I was ready for sleep, now If I am into a pageturner I tend to increase the font size and carry on reading hence 4.20 this morning when I finished it. Do I regret it now. YES!!!!!
Graham