Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Possible Loss of Sky TV soon!

Possible Loss of Sky TV soon!

Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future
Default Possible Loss of Sky TV soon!

Hi,

I have heard that anyone with a Sky TV card registered in the UK using the fictional type address will not be able to receive Sky TV soon.

Can anyone confirm this, and if it's true, how do you go about changing to a new card if you don't have a UK address.

Regards,

Mike.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Loss of Sky TV soon!

Originally Posted by Mike Cross
Hi,

I have heard that anyone with a Sky TV card registered in the UK using the fictional type address will not be able to receive Sky TV soon.

Can anyone confirm this, and if it's true, how do you go about changing to a new card if you don't have a UK address.

Regards,

Mike.
New cards are being sent out. So if you dont have a UK address it will presumably be returned to them "not known here" at which point I presume they will cut you off.

You could get it switched to a relatives address, preferably without SKY. You just need to email them or phone them.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:36 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Regards,

Mike.
You only need an FTV card for the following channels:
  • Five,
  • Five US and + 1,
  • Fiver and + 1,
  • Sky 3.
Five is available in a non-encrypted form on Astra 2D anyway but whether you can get that depends on your location and the dish. It is on one of the horizontal transponders though (10773 H 22000 5/6) so is particularly difficult to receive.

Apart from those channels you can continue to receive all free to air channels (BBC, ITV, etc) as before without any changes.

If you want a Sky subscription card though you will need a UK address or you will need to pay someone an extortionate figure to maintain one on your behalf.

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 13th 2009 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tele Addict

If you want a Sky subscription card though you will need a UK address or you will need to pay someone an extortionate figure to maintain one on your behalf.
I have tried using a UK address on the Sky application website, however it says you need to have a UK telephone number, yet that will not be possible here in Spain.

Thanks Mike
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried using a UK address on the Sky application website, however it says you need to have a UK telephone number, yet that will not be possible here in Spain.

Thanks Mike

Cant you use a U.K Skype number?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:20 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Hasn't the UK address got a telephone number? Anyway you don't need a phone number. Just ring them and say you don't have a landline. But obviously don't call from a Spanish number because any hint that the real destination of the card is outside the UK and you won't get one. Personally though I use my Vonage number, the code of which is 0208 (London).

By the way, you haven't confirmed if this is an FTV card or subscription card that you want. If it is the former, at this point it is not certain such a thing will ever be available again.

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 13th 2009 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

I think the UK phone number may be a requirement for connection reasons.

Do you know if the phone connection is required to activate the new card, if so, it would be no use being sent over to Spain if not activated.

It would be a Sky subscription card btw.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if the phone connection is required to activate the new card, if so, it would be no use being sent over to Spain if not activated.

Do you already have a Sky subscription or are you tyring to get one?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to be connected to a phone line if you have bought equipment from SKY and you are in the first 12 months of contract, or if you have something like Multi room.

The phone connection isnt required if you have your own / old equipment / you arent on multi room. They wont send the card to Spain. You need to have it sent to A friendly UK address, so you need to change that address pdq!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Do you already have a Sky subscription or are you tyring to get one?
From the sound of the post he just has an FTV card (blue background, yellow house) for which at present there is no replacement.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

From the sound of the post he just has an FTV card (blue background, yellow house) for which at present there is no replacement.
He doesn't say, That's why I asked!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

How did you arrive at that conclusion? I've re-read his posts and can't see that he has any thing yet.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
How did you arrive at that conclusion? I've re-read his posts and can't see that he has any thing yet.
Snap!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:10 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

it all depends on how rough Sky treat the one or two major card dealers in the UK....i dare say they already know which ASAs sends cards outside the uk,

if you are worried just get a friend or famility memeber int he uk to get a card for you....activate it in the uk or in spain and away you go....

as mentioned you only need a tel connection for the sky box if you get a discounted installation direct from sky, or a multiroom card agreement.

no idea what is going to happen the the ftv cards....we think something may be happening in october with all the Five channels maybe going totally freetoair and not requireing a card....and therefore no need for ftv cards...and just hope the free version of fives goes onto a 2d vertical (ie like bbc1) frequency and not a 2d horizontal frequency (like bbc2!)

and to clarify the point again, i just had a call from someone worried that they will loose bbc1 if they do not get their new sky card...no you will not...bbc1 2,3,4 and 100's more channels are free toair, and do not require a sky card to view. the only reason why you have a sky card for bbc is to determine your main bbc1 (101) and bbc2 (103) regions!

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 13th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

I have sky in the UK, if I transfer my supply to my mums address and then have multiroom facility, so mum has one box and should I be able to use it in Spain, once I have moved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.