Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to come to Spain for six months and put my son into school...

Is it possible to come to Spain for six months and put my son into school...

Old Nov 18th 2017, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

beach.bbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it possible to come to Spain for six months and put my son into school...

I'm pretty sure all the answers to pretty much everything are on here, but I've searched and can't really find what I'm looking for.

I have the chance to come to Spain for approximately 6 months at the begining of January. I've long wanted to relocate permanently but due to family/work/money commitments haven't been in a position to do so. However, I now work online for my UK employer and am pretty much home based so have quite a bit of flexibility.

My son is due to start secondary school in the UK in September, and I have a small window of opportunity to experience life in Spain before making some bigger decisions.

My plan was to enrol him in a private British school from January until the end of the school year in June. During that time, I thought we would have had a go at 'normal' life rather than being in holdiay mode, and I could weigh up my options for the future based on how it went.

So I thought I could take on a 6 or 12 month rental, enrol my boy into school and take it from there. Whilst carrying on with my normal employment.

Only the more I read, the more confused I am.

Can I stay up to 183 days on a trial basis or is it not really possible? All the tax stuff sounds messy to get involved in if we're going to be coming 'home' at the end of June when school term is over. And unnecessary... or at least I think so.

Obviously if we were to stay longer, I'd go through the process of whatever was necessary to remain in the country and pay tax there, but all I want to do now is to test the water. From beginnig of Jan til end of school term in June. Probably coming back to the UK in the Easter break.

I'll keep my house in the UK and a friend will keep it 'warm' for us.

So for NIE and residency do I need a decent bank balance? if so I'd be grateful if anyone knows roughly how much. My wage would be paid into UK bank but could be transferred into Spanish bank each week for living costs. It would be about £270 weekly. And that would be to support me and my son. Would we need an actual lump sum in the bank also? There's so much conflicting information. It seems different areas have different requirements. My son would be at school in San Miguel de Salinas so we'd be living somewhere pretty close by there if it helps.

To anyone who manages to get to the end of this post... 'thank you for seeing it through' and I really hope to get some helpful info. My little window of opportunity is only small and will evapourate if I don't get moving. I'm in my early 50's and with my son the age he is, realistically we'll be stuck in the UK til he finishes school if I don't give this a go.

Thanks for your perseverance
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to come to Spain for six months and put my son into school...

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to come to Spain for six months and put my son into school...

I believe you will need an NIE to enrol your son even in a private school, and will certainly need it to open a Spanish bank account and for a tenancy. However, getting an NIE does not depend on any other requirements. As for how to get it, I won't go into details here as there is info on the site I believe and don't want to complicate things here!

I don't believe you will require residency for your plans. Technically you can only stay 3 months before needing to go on the tax system etc, but people do stay longer (for years sometimes) without worrying too much about it. Personally, for 6 months I wouldn't bother about it. Again, your EHIC (health card) is really for tourists ie for up to 3 months but unless you needed regular treatment for anything no-one would really know when you arrived anyway.

I am sure people more knowledgeable than I will chime in if I am wrong, but that's my view for what it's worth!

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't mention where you are planning to live in Spain for that time.Obviously it is a very important time for your son if he is to start at secondary school level & the go back to UK & pick up his education again.We had the same situation with our daughter but we intended to stay so not quite the same as we didn't need to necessarily consider the British education aspect.There are many good British schools in Spain.I know of a few in my area of Costa Blanca & the Directors would be helpful if you needed advice on regulations.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FranE
I believe you will need an NIE to enrol your son even in a private school, and will certainly need it to open a Spanish bank account and for a tenancy. However, getting an NIE does not depend on any other requirements. As for how to get it, I won't go into details here as there is info on the site I believe and don't want to complicate things here!

I don't believe you will require residency for your plans. Technically you can only stay 3 months before needing to go on the tax system etc, but people do stay longer (for years sometimes) without worrying too much about it. Personally, for 6 months I wouldn't bother about it. Again, your EHIC (health card) is really for tourists ie for up to 3 months but unless you needed regular treatment for anything no-one would really know when you arrived anyway.

I am sure people more knowledgeable than I will chime in if I am wrong, but that's my view for what it's worth!

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm thinking I've got nothing to lose really by just giving it a go and crossing any bridges as I come to them. It's easy to get bogged down in the small stuff and never do anything
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dougal03
You don't mention where you are planning to live in Spain for that time.Obviously it is a very important time for your son if he is to start at secondary school level & the go back to UK & pick up his education again.We had the same situation with our daughter but we intended to stay so not quite the same as we didn't need to necessarily consider the British education aspect.There are many good British schools in Spain.I know of a few in my area of Costa Blanca & the Directors would be helpful if you needed advice on regulations.
Thanks I'd be doing it with the intention of staying but it seems like a 6 month stint is easy to do initially without getting embroiled in all the tax stuff.

My little boy isn't due to start secondary school here until September, so it seems like a good time to try it out. I know 6 months isn't long, but it would give us an idea of how things would be if we moved permanently and it's long enough to get out of 'holiday mode'.

I'm looking at putting my son into Phoenix school in San Miguel de Salinas for the rest of this school year and then if we decide to stay would move him over to a local school probably. It'd be nice to put him in one straight away - and save the school fees lol - but if we do come back to the UK and he goes into year 7 he could really do with being able to just slot back in.

I think having a change of scene for a few months/years/forever would be jolly nice and with few commitments it seems like a nice time to give it a go. It's just all the formal stuff that seems hard in Spain. More so than most other EU countries. Or maybe I just expected it to be easier because so many people do it. But that maybe just means it's worth doing
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

A 6 month stint would certainly involve fewer formalities, but as January isn't far away I suggest you familiarise yourself with the NIE and non-resident bank account stuff now, I think. Might be worth instructing a gestor when you arrive to deal with it for you, because as with everything in Spain, the precise formalities depend on where you are, and which official happens to be on the desk the day you go in! EG we had to renew our NIE document in order to buy a car (cost about 250 euros in notary and gestor fees) although other people on here have said they hadn't had to! Also, there are additional documents required for a "non resident" bank account. Our solicitor dealt with NIE and bank account on our house purchase so I can't tell you how to go about it.

After 6 months, if you decide to stay, you'll be able to deal with the residency, health care, state schools, tax etc, then. Forget about it for now, and I suggest just focus on the NIE and bank account .

Poco a poco as they say !
Old Nov 19th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beach.bbe
Thanks I'd be doing it with the intention of staying but it seems like a 6 month stint is easy to do initially without getting embroiled in all the tax stuff.

My little boy isn't due to start secondary school here until September, so it seems like a good time to try it out. I know 6 months isn't long, but it would give us an idea of how things would be if we moved permanently and it's long enough to get out of 'holiday mode'.

I'm looking at putting my son into Phoenix school in San Miguel de Salinas for the rest of this school year and then if we decide to stay would move him over to a local school probably. It'd be nice to put him in one straight away - and save the school fees lol - but if we do come back to the UK and he goes into year 7 he could really do with being able to just slot back in.

I think having a change of scene for a few months/years/forever would be jolly nice and with few commitments it seems like a nice time to give it a go. It's just all the formal stuff that seems hard in Spain. More so than most other EU countries. Or maybe I just expected it to be easier because so many people do it. But that maybe just means it's worth doing
It's a big ask for an 11 year old to pick up enough Spanish and/or Valencian language and culture to successfully adapt to a local school. You might get a better idea after 6 months in Spain, but you might also have a false sense of security if he has attended a British school, with a familiar curriculum as well as everyone speaking English.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks... I wouldn't push him into a Spanish school, but I was rather thinking it wouldn't be worth him going to one initially until we decided whether we'd like to stay. My daughter's at uni in Alicante so she'll be able to help out with his language - if she has the patience )
Old Nov 20th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

I think you're right. Start with the small stuff. Otherwise I'll never do it and no doubt end up in 20 years wishing I had. I dare say if I'm doing something wrong, someone will point it out to me. It does seem pretty confusing though with different areas having different rules etc. Thanks for taking the time to reply
Old Nov 20th 2017, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to update what I said about the EHIC health card. It is NOT limited to 3 months, it will cover any length of stay so long as the stay is temporary you remain a UK resident, and it will cover regular treatment for pre-existing conditions. Both you and you son will need to get one before you leave, but again that (ie health care) another thing you don't have to worry about unless you decide to stay permanently.

Another note about Spanish bureaucracy - it does vary, both as to the rules and the town hall's attitude to those rules, and/or their interpretation of them! That's why I think a Gestor would be a good idea to deal with first the two essentials - the Gestor being local will know how things are done in your area.

Don't be dismayed, though. I liken it to when I was pregnant and wondered how on earth one sets about getting a child into school ! These things become clearer the closer you get to them. You will get the hang of it and - with your son in a British school - you will meet people who'll be able to help.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beach.bbe
Thanks... I wouldn't push him into a Spanish school, but I was rather thinking it wouldn't be worth him going to one initially until we decided whether we'd like to stay. My daughter's at uni in Alicante so she'll be able to help out with his language - if she has the patience )
I see your reasoning, and I think your plan for the initial 6 months is fine. It's just that you may find complications if you subsequently decide you want to stay longer but are unable to keep your son in an international school. It's quite likely that he won't be fluent enough to attend a Spanish secondary school.