Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Portuguese car to Spanish plates

Portuguese car to Spanish plates

Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Nigel69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portuguese car to Spanish plates

Hi, I understand it costs around €800 or less to change a British car to Spanish (lights, plates and registration etc), Could you tell me if it would be a lot cheaper to bring in a car from Portugal and change to Spanish? (Car would obviously be a left hand drive with the correct lights).

The reason I ask is that I may be able to purchase a car from the company I work for in Portugal to use in Spain when we move over next year.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:43 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese car to Spanish plates

The only difference in cost will be the lights etc. Everything else will be the same. The registration tax depends on the value and CO2 emissions. What car is it and how old?

You can avoid the tax if you have owned it for 6 months prior to moving and register it within 60 days of arrival.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel69
Hi, I understand it costs around €800 or less to change a British car to Spanish (lights, plates and registration etc), Could you tell me if it would be a lot cheaper to bring in a car from Portugal and change to Spanish? (Car would obviously be a left hand drive with the correct lights).

The reason I ask is that I may be able to purchase a car from the company I work for in Portugal to use in Spain when we move over next year.
If you buy the car from a Portuguese company and bring it to Spain you will need :

All documents officially translated to Spanish

1. An original invoice with an EU CIF
2. Pass the Spanish ITV inspection ( MOT )
3. Pay a special tax on "medios de Transporte" Form 576
4. Pay Registration tax which is calculated on Co2 emissions , can be up to €700,- for a normal car much higher for those that contaminate more.
5. Register the vehicle in Trafico to get a number plate, about €100,-
6. Pay local annual road tax.

Buying second hand cars in Germany and bringing them to Spain is quite common and the cost savings significant so the process is well-documented on the web. Typical costs from people I know who have done it : €1.500,- Sourcing from Portugal as an EU member will require a similar process.
Here's a good summary : https://www.zurich.es/es-es/blog/art...-seguros-coche
Old Apr 12th 2017, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks, it does seem expensive to buy a second hand car in Spain, the reason I ask is that I work for a Car Hire company in Portugal and at the end of Season I would hope I could buy a car (probably VW Polo) for a decent amount. With it already being LHD and the lights should be correct am I correct in assuming there would be some kind of import tax to pay? ie the medios de Transporte and then a second tax calculated on co2 is this like the uk annual tax?

The link didn't work I'm afraid.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel69
Thanks, it does seem expensive to buy a second hand car in Spain, the reason I ask is that I work for a Car Hire company in Portugal and at the end of Season I would hope I could buy a car (probably VW Polo) for a decent amount. With it already being LHD and the lights should be correct am I correct in assuming there would be some kind of import tax to pay? ie the medios de Transporte and then a second tax calculated on co2 is this like the uk annual tax?

The link didn't work I'm afraid.
The technical inspection, agreed , should not be a problem, the tax calculated on Co2 emissions will be a "One-off" and is probably the most expensive bit. The annual road tax of the UK is a municipal tax paid in Spain and is not that expensive.
If you search the web there are several Spnaish sites that enable you to calculate the Matriculation tax by inputting the car details, model, year, engine etc etc
Remember you will also need all the paperwork and have it translated to Spanish

Last edited by Loafing Along; Apr 12th 2017 at 1:42 am. Reason: Added comment
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:10 am
Just Joined

That's great thank,s Loaf
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is no import duty on cars from within the EU. There is a first registration, tax which varies from 0% to 14.75% of the original value (discounted for age), depending on the CO2 emissions. Strangely, municipal road tax is still based on Fiscal Horsepower which is effectively engine size.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Getting slightly cheaper by the post, thank's Fred it will either be a 1.1 or 1.4 so should be pretty cheap to tax
Old Apr 12th 2017, 6:04 am

The zero registration tax goes up to 120gm CO2, and both those engines in the Polo are lower than that.