Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Poor little kittens!

Poor little kittens!

Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
My point being that I don't like them, they are devastating to the local wildlife and I find cat owners to be utterly irresponsible people, if a dog owner allowed their animal to kill the quantity of wild life that cats do, people would be up in arms about it, but cats are sweet.

Of course this is simply my personal opinion.
I can't help but agree with you here. I'm not a cat lover myself. But I'm not an exterminator either. I'm for sterilisation. I'd like to see it on some humans too. OOps I've strayed towards Eugenics... (Backpedalling rapidly)
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the argument that cats could not possibly be responsible for as many deaths as is claimed, but if you look at the situation logically (and logic is such a rare commodity) there are an estimated 9 million cats in the Uk... if only half were allowed out doors lets say (I'm being generous here), and if only half of those cats (again being generous) actually hunted every day... and lets be further generous and say that only half of them actually kill a bird on a daily basis, bearing in mind that the feline is one of natures finest hunters, then we are still looking at well over 2 million deaths, now I understand that this figure feels rather high, so lets be further generous and say its only half a million... thats half a million, and as we see from the near collapse of the songbird, and in particular the sparrow numbers in the UK you can sort of see what I get so pissy about when cat owners go on about their bloody animals!
Sparrow and starling, no. Something really, really wierd happened there in the last decade. When we had chickens, starlings were a real menace, stealing as much food as the chickens themselves were eating.

So, I used to have a hide, and with my airgun I'd balance the books a bit. In a single year I killed well over a thousand starlings. That went on for a couple of years, then we stopped keeping chickens, and the starlings were no longer a problem, so I stood the hide down.

A couple years later, the starling and sparrow numbers crashed over a huge area in the UK, and for years, a starling was a very rare sight. I doubt I saw ten in a single year.

That can't have been cats, but I do agree that the songbird population probably suffers very badly.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:48 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the argument that cats could not possibly be responsible for as many deaths as is claimed, but if you look at the situation logically (and logic is such a rare commodity) there are an estimated 9 million cats in the Uk... if only half were allowed out doors lets say (I'm being generous here), and if only half of those cats (again being generous) actually hunted every day... and lets be further generous and say that only half of them actually kill a bird on a daily basis, bearing in mind that the feline is one of natures finest hunters, then we are still looking at well over 2 million deaths, now I understand that this figure feels rather high, so lets be further generous and say its only half a million... thats half a million, and as we see from the near collapse of the songbird, and in particular the sparrow numbers in the UK you can sort of see what I get so pissy about when cat owners go on about their bloody animals!
lets be even further generous and say Man is far more destructive of almost everything that they come into contact with (usually for greed) than any feline

Last edited by anonimouse; Apr 9th 2011 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:57 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, they reckon that the car is a great songbird predator, and of insects the single greatest killer.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 2:04 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
lets be even further generous and say Man is far more destructive of almost everything that they come into contact with (usually for greed) than any feline
You can be tiresome can't you?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sorry did not mean to upset you and contrary to what has been written, it was not a suggestion it was just a part of life when I grew up. There was no money around for vets and even though we always had dogs their costs were negligible, ate what was left from dinner etc.
Cats had to pay their way, keeping down rodents etc., they did not seem to become pets until the sixties, I cannot think of anyone close to where I was brought up that had a cat but virtually everyone had a dog. If someone had mice or rats then Mrs x from the next street would lend out her cat to deal with them. Half of the cat population in Sheffield was resident in the steelworks but unless you were rather stupid you never went near them, leave them a little bit of food but keep well clear but they did a great job reducing the rat population.
Graham
It wasn't the idea of eating them that I (and supposedly Fred) objected to, it was your friend flushing them down the WC that I personally find barbaric.

I can perhaps understand people not being fond of cats for one reason or other, but such actions as that are not tolerable in a civilized society!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

The collapse of the songbird and sparrow in the UK at that time was down to infected peanuts that poisoned them, people (myself included) were putting these nuts in the feeders not knowing that was the very thing killing them off, apparently it was a form of mould on the nuts that was deadly! At the time I remember that shops and supermarkets withdrew supplies and stopped selling them for quite a while. The sparrow population never recovered because the magpies moved in on their territory in their absence...and you don't get the two living side by side.

Of course it's much easier for the blame to be put on cats, the same creatures that are hounded, shot and poisoned in great numbers every year by so called humans.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:06 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
The collapse of the songbird and sparrow in the UK at that time was down to infected peanuts that poisoned them, people (myself included) were putting these nuts in the feeders not knowing that was the very thing killing them off, apparently it was a form of mould on the nuts that was deadly! At the time I remember that shops and supermarkets withdrew supplies and stopped selling them for quite a while. The sparrow population never recovered because the magpies moved in on their territory in their absence...and you don't get the two living side by side.

Of course it's much easier for the blame to be put on cats, the same creatures that are hounded, shot and poisoned in great numbers every year by so called humans.
A classic example.... brilliant. Peanuts. Not the 9 million cats, oh no... peanuts.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:29 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't the idea of eating them that I (and supposedly Fred) objected to, it was your friend flushing them down the WC that I personally find barbaric.

I can perhaps understand people not being fond of cats for one reason or other, but such actions as that are not tolerable in a civilized society!
I never mentioned eating them in that post when Bil mentioned roof rabbits I thought that he was meaning pigeons.

Graham
Old Apr 10th 2011, 5:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Since this thread has lost sight of the plight of the original litter of kittens and become a discussion about the relative destructive potential of cats or humans it's time it had a Siesta.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:41 am
bil
Banned

Aphlatoxins. Very nasty chems, but I have to say that I didn't see a songbird collapse in our area, just starlings and sparrows. That to me was as puzzling as rats dying for no good reason.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:40 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic, last case scenario if all else fails, let them live wild with just a little help ie/a couple of tins of food a week left out, they will find their own way I'm sure.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Back on topic, last case scenario if all else fails, let them live wild with just a little help ie/a couple of tins of food a week left out, they will find their own way I'm sure.
Many cats do live that way in the Pueblo. But because mother cat is semi-domesticated & goes back to her 'owner' the neighbour every day for food, The kittens would probably follow her. I think my neighbourly relations might take a nosedive from then on! The neighbour did warn me she didn't want this to happen! A kind member of the forum has given me an address for a refuge for the worst case. Anything from there on is a bonus! Plus, while I'm 'sponging' off my own kids a bit at the mo' I don't want extra mouths to feed for more than a limited time. It's almost reasonable to let my son feed me... but to expect him to feed other waifs and strays I brought in would be a liberty!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Many cats do live that way in the Pueblo. But because mother cat is semi-domesticated & goes back to her 'owner' the neighbour every day for food, The kittens would probably follow her. I think my neighbourly relations might take a nosedive from then on! The neighbour did warn me she didn't want this to happen! A kind member of the forum has given me an address for a refuge for the worst case. Anything from there on is a bonus! Plus, while I'm 'sponging' off my own kids a bit at the mo' I don't want extra mouths to feed for more than a limited time. It's almost reasonable to let my son feed me... but to expect him to feed other waifs and strays I brought in would be a liberty!
I understand.

We moved from Spain to Hungary and ours had 4 kittens, all pedigree too (Rag dolls). We had a job to give them away here. Kept two, that left us with 4 but unfortunately one kitten got run over and the other got decapitated some how, not sure how all this within 4 weeks, but we are back to two now, much more manageable when travelling across Europe. Still can't believe it happened in such a quiet place we are in. We keep ours in now.

Our Burman we had in Spain went walkabout and we never saw him again. Hope all goes well, Love cats.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:39 am

You can be tiresome can't you?
Only to arrogant and pretentious folk.

Last edited by anonimouse; Apr 11th 2011 at 5:43 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.