Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Poor little kittens!

Poor little kittens!

Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
The mum cat can be spayed now, as she can get pregnant again quite quickly, a friend close to me here, she organisies a vet to come over and they trap the ferals and spay/neuter them...last timethey caught a mum cat with kittens, and also a 9 week old kitten and they were done, (and rehomed, one being with me) some might not agree, but its better than them producing more kittens.. and

they also spay/neuter peoples pet cats at a small charge, but the vet is not over for a few months..

as for the kittens at yours, handle them daily, as they will grow tame and be easy to rehome..
V good advice. I have only handled them a couple of times while mum was off for her lunch(es). Since Mum is not my cat and isn't handled herself as far as I know she would more than likely go for me if I touched her precious babies! I'll be sure to buy more allergy pills and do so more often. They haven't affected me yet but I guess it may be the faeces from mites on cats fur that cause me the trouble as I'm also allergic to dustmite.
Maybe as young kittens they haven't yet developed the problem. Plus theyre in my laundry room which doesn't have a door so is airy. That's how mum got in!
You are on the other side of Spain to me so I can't hold out any hope of meeting up with your friendly Vet. :-(
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for much advice offered and practical suggestions all.
Here they are. about 2 weeks old. Only just opening their eyes and still sleeping all day. Neighbour is still griping over the wall that I should get rid of them, Or at least 3 of the 4! (when she says "get rid" she means it:-( ) So, I'm starting to look for good homes for them in Huelva/Sevilla province. They'll be ready to find families first/second week of June I hope.
There are I think 3 boys and one girl. But I'm not at all sure about this!
The biggest is white with a smokey grey tinge and grey ear tips and tail. We've called him Merlin because he looks like a wizard's cat.
The second biggest is the pure white one and we've called him Daisy even though we think he's male. After a pretty but demanding friend of my daughter.
The one in the middle of the picture is the girl, the multicoloured one and we've called her Kira after my daughter (who dyes her hair all the colours of the rainbow!) And the little black and white one that you can't see we've called James, a friend who's a little small for his age.
If you're a permanent resident and thinking of getting a rescue cat, Please think of these little kittens first! Save them from having to go to an already overpopulated rescue centre where their chances of finding loving homes will be much reduced!
For my part I'll try and bring them up to be good, clean affectionate little kittens
Although Daisy decided to whinge a lot when she was picked up today!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:43 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I hate cats... just saying...
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I hate cats... just saying...
Your point being?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:31 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
The biggest is white with a smokey grey tinge and grey ear tips and tail. We've called him Merlin because he looks like a wizard's cat.
Oh dear! Once you give them names and take photos of them they've got you!

Don't let the white coats fool you. We had two like that and they turned out to be beautiful Siamese cats!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

That's not funny!

Edit.....
This was my response to the poor taste comment that Fred just understandably deleted.

Last edited by megmet; Apr 9th 2011 at 9:39 am. Reason: Adding edit.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was stating a fact not making a suggestion. Back when I was a youngster, 40s 50s it was a common practice but heaven forbid I introduce reality.

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:36 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I was stating a fact not making a suggestion. Back when I was a youngster, 40s 50s it was a common practice but heaven forbid I introduce reality.

Graham
What, eating 'roof rabbit' ?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
What, eating 'roof rabbit' ?
Not until I arrived here. Not keen.

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by megmet
That's not funny!

Edit.....
This was my response to the poor taste comment that Fred just understandably deleted.
Sorry did not mean to upset you and contrary to what has been written, it was not a suggestion it was just a part of life when I grew up. There was no money around for vets and even though we always had dogs their costs were negligible, ate what was left from dinner etc.
Cats had to pay their way, keeping down rodents etc., they did not seem to become pets until the sixties, I cannot think of anyone close to where I was brought up that had a cat but virtually everyone had a dog. If someone had mice or rats then Mrs x from the next street would lend out her cat to deal with them. Half of the cat population in Sheffield was resident in the steelworks but unless you were rather stupid you never went near them, leave them a little bit of food but keep well clear but they did a great job reducing the rat population.
Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 9th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
Oh dear! Once you give them names and take photos of them they've got you!

Don't let the white coats fool you. We had two like that and they turned out to be beautiful Siamese cats!
I'm not the sentimental type Fred. Realistic. It's easier to call them by short mames than "the multicoloured one"
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Your point being?
My point being that I don't like them, they are devastating to the local wildlife and I find cat owners to be utterly irresponsible people, if a dog owner allowed their animal to kill the quantity of wild life that cats do, people would be up in arms about it, but cats are sweet.

Of course this is simply my personal opinion.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:20 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
My point being that I don't like them, they are devastating to the local wildlife and I find cat owners to be utterly irresponsible people, if a dog owner allowed their animal to kill the quantity of wild life that cats do, people would be up in arms about it, but cats are sweet.

Of course this is simply my personal opinion.
I think in Australia they are responsible for the near extermination of some indiginous wildlife. I believe one state brought out a law whereby at night you had to keep your cat in. All cats seen at night were shot on sight.

Lots of whiney cat owners, but hopefully it has given a new lease of life to some of the rarer small mammals in Aus.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Not until I arrived here. Not keen.

Graham
I remember my uncle saying that during the war a lot of local cats ended up as 'rabbit'. Minus head, tail, paws and skin, they could easily pass, especially if you haven't had meat in a while....
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:29 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
I think in Australia they are responsible for the near extermination of some indiginous wildlife. I believe one state brought out a law whereby at night you had to keep your cat in. All cats seen at night were shot on sight.

Lots of whiney cat owners, but hopefully it has given a new lease of life to some of the rarer small mammals in Aus.
I hear the argument that cats could not possibly be responsible for as many deaths as is claimed, but if you look at the situation logically (and logic is such a rare commodity) there are an estimated 9 million cats in the Uk... if only half were allowed out doors lets say (I'm being generous here), and if only half of those cats (again being generous) actually hunted every day... and lets be further generous and say that only half of them actually kill a bird on a daily basis, bearing in mind that the feline is one of natures finest hunters, then we are still looking at well over 2 million deaths, now I understand that this figure feels rather high, so lets be further generous and say its only half a million... thats half a million, and as we see from the near collapse of the songbird, and in particular the sparrow numbers in the UK you can sort of see what I get so pissy about when cat owners go on about their bloody animals!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.