Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Poor little kittens!

Poor little kittens!

Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I'm afraid there's no way I can afford to have the kittens speyed. I would if I could but at the moment we're living partly off my kids!
This cat is not ours and is fed by the owner. I've talked sternly to her about feeding the cat and about having it speyed when the time comes. which I presume is when the kittens are weaned. I don't choose to have pets. I wouldn't be a good pet owner! I keep wondering whether it would have been better to let Pepa take them and do the normal thing round here. But I just can't bring myself to. I haven't touched them yet and I'm not sure whether they are a day old or two days old. Maybe even three.. But I think I'll get up the courage today to check they're all alive and well. The mother seems to have bonded with them and is feeding them and not running away when I go near. But she does go off to Pepa's to get fed so when she's away I'll check them out. Do I wear rubber gloves to stop them smelling of me? Or is that other animals?
Update
Just checked them over. (using rubber gloves) there are 4 all alive and moving and, I think, quite big. I made them just a little more comfortable. They were almost on the cement floor so I tucked some kitchen roll and garden fleece under them. It must have been cold overnight!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:24 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Don´t get too attached, the same cat will have new kittens again in a couple of months. And the current kittens in 12 months !

There is a privately run shelter in between Ayamonte and Isla Cristina but they´re full. It´s truly heartbreaking to go there, 100-dreds of cats and the most beautifull dogs.

This shelter entirely runs on donations and volunteers, any help (money, food, blankets, etc.) is highly appriciated.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Don´t get too attached, the same cat will have new kittens again in a couple of months. And the current kittens in 12 months !

There is a privately run shelter in between Ayamonte and Isla Cristina but they´re full. It´s truly heartbreaking to go there, 100-dreds of cats and the most beautifull dogs.

This shelter entirely runs on donations and volunteers, any help (money, food, blankets, etc.) is highly appriciated.
I can't get attached to them. I simply can't keep even one. But I've been on to one organisation who will put an advert for homes and will pass me on to a shelter if we're out of luck.
I'm going to be very firm with my neighbour about her cat getting speyed as soon as the kittens are weaned. And with any potential homes about speying these ones.
I'll also put photos on here when the little things are old enough to open their eyes and have their pictures taken. I know it's going to be hard to find homes but I have to give them a chance....don't I?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:27 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get attached to them. I simply can't keep even one. But I've been on to one organisation who will put an advert for homes and will pass me on to a shelter if we're out of luck.
I'm going to be very firm with my neighbour about her cat getting speyed as soon as the kittens are weaned. And with any potential homes about speying these ones.
I'll also put photos on here when the little things are old enough to open their eyes and have their pictures taken. I know it's going to be hard to find homes but I have to give them a chance....don't I?
this is draging on.bin bag or poison.or if you can lay your hands on a gun.have a good laugh while your shooting them
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by betris
this is draging on.bin bag or poison.or if you can lay your hands on a gun.have a good laugh while your shooting them
Quite welcome not to read this thread mate. On the other hand I think a wee bit of culling might be in order in other areas;-)
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

of course, i am sure many of us would rather have a good laugh whilst that is being done to you...bet you wouldn't be so much then would you?

angiescarr - i got the information for you..SPAPS in Mairena del Aljarafe, Finca Peralta, Carretera Bormujos/Mairena 955 724 252 or 955 725 027

Let us know how you get on. You sound like you're doing a grand job with them.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:25 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Angie, you are very noble. Our 2 dogs & 3 cats are rescue-animals as well but I just wanted to say that most Spanish, especially in the campo take a different view to animals.
Anyway, good luck with your cause, keep posting how you get on with it!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Palmera
of course, i am sure many of us would rather have a good laugh whilst that is being done to you...bet you wouldn't be so much then would you?

angiescarr - i got the information for you..SPAPS in Mairena del Aljarafe, Finca Peralta, Carretera Bormujos/Mairena 955 724 252 or 955 725 027

Let us know how you get on. You sound like you're doing a grand job with them.
Actually I'm doing the bare minimum if I'm honest. Thanks for the info
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
Angie, you are very noble. Our 2 dogs & 3 cats are rescue-animals as well but I just wanted to say that most Spanish, especially in the campo take a different view to animals.
Anyway, good luck with your cause, keep posting how you get on with it!
Will do everybody. Thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:51 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Dragging on?
The thread was only opened yesterday. I suggest that if you have nothing positive to add to a thread, you avoid commenting - especially in the absolute negative.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:43 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't mistreat animals.

Last year one of the strays that we feed came over as usual and his right eye was swollen and bleeding, looked like he had been kicked, I gave him some antibiotics and eye drops that I had in for my cats, it cleared up, last week he came here and both eyes were nearly closed took him to the vet and got a jab and some cream, he's doing nicely now. I didn't want to return to Spain next week and think he might be blind for the sake of about 6 quid, poor buggers it's not their fault.

I say well done to Angiescarr too, lets hope you get a home for them, I'm sure you will.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

This post has only been left as others have quoted it, but I strongly suggest that you think carefully before making a similar comment in future
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:20 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse

I say well done to Angiescarr too, lets hope you get a home for them, I'm sure you will.
Totally agree and I hope it works out.

That said, it will be difficult. Many of the animal charities are all running out of money as donations are down due to the economic situation. Temporary homing costs money not to mention the vets bills. Dogs tend to get a better reception as there are export opportunities but kittens, and especially adults, are hard to home.

The Spanish solution is to dispose of them at birth - in the end there is some logic to this even if it offends our sensibilities. Unfortunately it is the way it is often done that is really upsetting. We have 5 cats - all raised from very young kittens. One of them had been dumped in a river in a plastic bag with 4 siblings - they were found but he was the only survivor - now a very healthy and much loved cat.

We recently found a bag full of kittens in the basura - only their cries alerted us. They were tied up in a plastic bag in August! We revived them and tried to feed them with kitty milk all night in a dropper but they were only a day old. They (just) survived to the next day but we took them to the vet who had to put them down as they were not viable. Incidentally vets can no longer do that if the cat is viable - whatever the owner might want.

What gets me is the way they dump them - out of sight, out of mind - they don't have the courage to humanely dispose of them - drowning is better than a plastic bag in a basura.

I know of cases where puppies have been thrown from the car on the motorway!

The solution is neutering any cat as soon as it is old enough - easy to say but very expensive. In Nerja on the CDS they have had some success with this and most of the strays have been rounded up and neutered. They nick their ears so you know if it has been done. They have even set up feeding stations in various ares so it can work but it does need money and very sympathetic vets.

Our latest addition arrived one night 5 weeks ago. It had been dropped over our high wall at 11pm. 5 months old and obviously domesticated - I think we should put up a Cat Hotel sign! Someone obviously knew we wouldn't throw it back over the wall. Large vets bills later and he now is an accepted member of the family.

We have had another three lodgers over the last few years and we did find homes for them luckily. The problem is that the longer they stay the more you get attached to them - allergies permitting!

Angie - I wish you (and the kittens) luck. Normally they would stay with their mother for 12 weeks until taking solid food but 8 weeks is probably OK. We had two cats who were dropper fed (every 2 hours) from about 2 weeks old (that was in Cyprus and one is still with us 13 years later).

You mention that you are away a lot. We have some neighbours who come out about 5 times a year. They were adopted by a cat and now, when they are away, a neighbour puts down some food nearby every few days. When the arrive for a short stay the cat is there within minutes and moves back in for the duration of their stay!

Anyway, enough of my feline ramblings - thank you for trying - whatever the outcome.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Fred James;9274831]

The solution is neutering any cat as soon as it is old enough - easy to say but very expensive. In Nerja on the CDS they have had some success with this and most of the strays have been rounded up and neutered. They nick their ears so you know if it has been done. They have even set up feeding stations in various ares so it can work but it does need money and very sympathetic vets.

/QUOTE]
Thanks for your feline ramblings. Not being a cat lover 'as such' its been really nice to get this support. Can you tell me what CDS is please. I've heard it's something to do with neutering cats at a reduced cost. As some members will know we're struggling through financially but I'd like to make sure these kittens and their mother are all neutered. Just not at my...or at great expense. Even If I can just pass info on it might help.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:08 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=angiescarr;9274964]
Originally Posted by Fred James

/QUOTE]
Thanks for your feline ramblings. Not being a cat lover 'as such' its been really nice to get this support. Can you tell me what CDS is please. I've heard it's something to do with neutering cats at a reduced cost. As some members will know we're struggling through financially but I'd like to make sure these kittens and their mother are all neutered. Just not at my...or at great expense. Even If I can just pass info on it might help.
I can't help but I have seen posters in shop windows and bill boards advertising it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.