Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Poor little kittens!

Poor little kittens!

Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:51 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poor little kittens!

Day before yesterday our neighbours cat was whining at our door. As usual I told it to sling it's hook as usual even though it was very insistent.
Yesterday it bolted into our house but we chased it out.
This morning my husband found the reason why. It has chosen to give birth to it's kittens in our Laundry. I've counted 4 but they're very tiny so I'm not sure how many there are.
I went round to tell my neighbour and she has the solution! Yes.. wring their necks. Right now before they get any bigger.
She says nobody in the village want any more cats. After giving her a mouthful about taking the poor young mother (who appears to be some kind of Siamese cross, as it has the bluest eyes and a ringed tail), to a vet for the snip, I've come home to look for any other solution. But it's probably a forlorn hope. I'm allergic to cats. so defo couldn't keep even one. Also we're away rather a lot so feeding would be tricky even if we left the little sod outside year round and could afford to.
Another possible problem is, the laundry room is also used for baking my polymer clay at a high enough temperature to cause potentially toxic fumes. though there's no door on it and the kittens are right near the doorway so this may not be a problem.
So, a couple of questions
Anyone know of any organisations who will take in kittens. And if so, at what age can they leave their mother?
Anyone got any other advice apart from abort the neighbour!!, though at 300th trimester I think we might have left it a little late!!
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:24 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Day before yesterday our neighbours cat was whining at our door. As usual I told it to sling it's hook as usual even though it was very insistent.
Yesterday it bolted into our house but we chased it out.
This morning my husband found the reason why. It has chosen to give birth to it's kittens in our Laundry. I've counted 4 but they're very tiny so I'm not sure how many there are.
I went round to tell my neighbour and she has the solution! Yes.. wring their necks. Right now before they get any bigger.
She says nobody in the village want any more cats. After giving her a mouthful about taking the poor young mother (who appears to be some kind of Siamese cross, as it has the bluest eyes and a ringed tail), to a vet for the snip, I've come home to look for any other solution. But it's probably a forlorn hope. I'm allergic to cats. so defo couldn't keep even one. Also we're away rather a lot so feeding would be tricky even if we left the little sod outside year round and could afford to.
Another possible problem is, the laundry room is also used for baking my polymer clay at a high enough temperature to cause potentially toxic fumes. though there's no door on it and the kittens are right near the doorway so this may not be a problem.
So, a couple of questions
Anyone know of any organisations who will take in kittens. And if so, at what age can they leave their mother?
Anyone got any other advice apart from abort the neighbour!!, though at 300th trimester I think we might have left it a little late!!
I saw the other thread, they should be ok without mum after 6 to 8 weeks, ask in all the pet shops if they can help, even if you have to give them a couple of bob Best of luck.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:41 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I saw the other thread, they should be ok without mum after 6 to 8 weeks, ask in all the pet shops if they can help, even if you have to give them a couple of bob Best of luck.
Don't think I've seen a Pet shop in Aracena. Still, good advice and I'll have a look.
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:50 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Costa de la Luz
Posts: 173
Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

when we rescued a few day old kittens, we raised them til old enough, then put a poster in the local vets and garden centres. we soon found new homes (tho i put them through the runner before i let them go..i wanted to be sure they wanted them as pets not just to leave in a shed or anything to catch rats!)

another alternative that i didnt know at the time, is that there is an animal rescue centre in/near sevilla. if you're interested i can try to find out more info for you.
Palmera is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:55 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
paintermujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Valencia
Posts: 1,249
paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Poor little things.

Our year old cats mum gave birth to her litter in an underbuild of someones house.

Some are lucky at the end of the day and some arent even though its horrible to think of it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope theres a good outcome.
paintermujer is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:56 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Don't think I've seen a Pet shop in Aracena. Still, good advice and I'll have a look.
Carrefor usually have one, but not always, they get quite busy which is good for this case.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:21 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Alectryon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Jaen
Posts: 197
Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

I have a fantastic vet who is really into animal rescue. Now, I know that they are all not, but you could try visiting any vets in your area and try them out. Good luck.
Alectryon is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:38 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by Palmera
when we rescued a few day old kittens, we raised them til old enough, then put a poster in the local vets and garden centres. we soon found new homes (tho i put them through the runner before i let them go..i wanted to be sure they wanted them as pets not just to leave in a shed or anything to catch rats!)

another alternative that i didnt know at the time, is that there is an animal rescue centre in/near sevilla. if you're interested i can try to find out more info for you.
Yes please. I'd certainly be prepared to drive them out to Seville if I can't find anyone for them. Which looks unlikely in this village. Most cats here are semi-wild anyway. Pepa (The neighbour/cat owner) doesn't really want me even to look after them until weaning because she says they'll just take off into the campo with their mother and come back to her to be fed etc! She'd rather they were dispatched in the time honoured way now!
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:40 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I have a fantastic vet who is really into animal rescue. Now, I know that they are all not, but you could try visiting any vets in your area and try them out. Good luck.
It's just not that kind of area. In The campo thy're very pragmatic about life and death. Wish they tended towards the more humane. At least by speying their cats. I don't know anyone who has an indoors cat here!
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:42 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Alectryon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Jaen
Posts: 197
Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Yes please. I'd certainly be prepared to drive them out to Seville if I can't find anyone for them. Which looks unlikely in this village. Most cats here are semi-wild anyway. Pepa (The neighbour/cat owner) doesn't really want me even to look after them until weaning because she says they'll just take off into the campo with their mother and come back to her to be fed etc! She'd rather they were dispatched in the time honoured way now!
I feel the same way about irresponsible pet owners.
Alectryon is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:52 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I feel the same way about irresponsible pet owners.
Agreed. and as I said on the Ayamonte thread. I'd abort the neighbour if it weren't already about the 300th trimester!
I choose not to be a pet owner as I wouldn't be very good at it and have no desire to try. But I've been landed with clearing up this mess or allowing kitty murder.. Quite apart from how sad the young mum would be without her newborns!
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:24 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
NadiaN's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Valencia
Posts: 67
NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Day before yesterday our neighbours cat was whining at our door. As usual I told it to sling it's hook as usual even though it was very insistent.
Yesterday it bolted into our house but we chased it out.
This morning my husband found the reason why. It has chosen to give birth to it's kittens in our Laundry. I've counted 4 but they're very tiny so I'm not sure how many there are.
I went round to tell my neighbour and she has the solution! Yes.. wring their necks. Right now before they get any bigger.
She says nobody in the village want any more cats. After giving her a mouthful about taking the poor young mother (who appears to be some kind of Siamese cross, as it has the bluest eyes and a ringed tail), to a vet for the snip, I've come home to look for any other solution. But it's probably a forlorn hope. I'm allergic to cats. so defo couldn't keep even one. Also we're away rather a lot so feeding would be tricky even if we left the little sod outside year round and could afford to.
Another possible problem is, the laundry room is also used for baking my polymer clay at a high enough temperature to cause potentially toxic fumes. though there's no door on it and the kittens are right near the doorway so this may not be a problem.
So, a couple of questions
Anyone know of any organisations who will take in kittens. And if so, at what age can they leave their mother?
Anyone got any other advice apart from abort the neighbour!!, though at 300th trimester I think we might have left it a little late!!
If your Spanish is up to it, you could post the story and pictures of the kittens to a Spanish pet forum. Or you can at least ask there for help finding an organization that might take the kittens and try to find them homes.

Here are some forums that I browse from time to time:
http://www.todogatos.com/index.php?showforum=5
http://www.madridfelina.com/w1/index...orum&Itemid=37
http://www.mundogatos.com/foro/f-adopcion-de-gatos.html
NadiaN is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:15 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by NadiaN
If your Spanish is up to it, you could post the story and pictures of the kittens to a Spanish pet forum. Or you can at least ask there for help finding an organization that might take the kittens and try to find them homes.

Here are some forums that I browse from time to time:
http://www.todogatos.com/index.php?showforum=5
http://www.madridfelina.com/w1/index...orum&Itemid=37
http://www.mundogatos.com/foro/f-adopcion-de-gatos.html
Yes I think I could handle that. Many thanks:-)
Not being a pet keeping person I'm not up to scratch (ha ha) on the pople and the whys and hows
Anyone know if and when i should handle these kittens. It's the mothers first (hopefully last) litter so I'm not sure how bonded she is and whether me touching them would put her off. Better start a course of antihistamines(on myself) right now!
angiescarr is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:46 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Costa de la Luz
Posts: 173
Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Yes please. I'd certainly be prepared to drive them out to Seville if I can't find anyone for them. Which looks unlikely in this village. Most cats here are semi-wild anyway. Pepa (The neighbour/cat owner) doesn't really want me even to look after them until weaning because she says they'll just take off into the campo with their mother and come back to her to be fed etc! She'd rather they were dispatched in the time honoured way now!
no problem, i'll try to find out for you. i have just had some ferral kits spayed...e180 each female and e120 each male!i understand it is cheaper on CDS but here it seems not many people bother so prices are high.
re kits, the mother will have to lick their 'bits' for a few weeks to make them poo, and make sure she is fed enough to be able to produce enough milk for her litter. we had to supplement with syringes of powdered kitty milk from the vets (not cheap either).
Palmera is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:23 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor little kittens!

Originally Posted by Palmera
no problem, i'll try to find out for you. i have just had some ferral kits spayed...e180 each female and e120 each male!i understand it is cheaper on CDS but here it seems not many people bother so prices are high.
re kits, the mother will have to lick their 'bits' for a few weeks to make them poo, and make sure she is fed enough to be able to produce enough milk for her litter. we had to supplement with syringes of powdered kitty milk from the vets (not cheap either).
I'm afraid there's no way I can afford to have the kittens speyed. I would if I could but at the moment we're living partly off my kids!
This cat is not ours and is fed by the owner. I've talked sternly to her about feeding the cat and about having it speyed when the time comes. which I presume is when the kittens are weaned. I don't choose to have pets. I wouldn't be a good pet owner! I keep wondering whether it would have been better to let Pepa take them and do the normal thing round here. But I just can't bring myself to. I haven't touched them yet and I'm not sure whether they are a day old or two days old. Maybe even three.. But I think I'll get up the courage today to check they're all alive and well. The mother seems to have bonded with them and is feeding them and not running away when I go near. But she does go off to Pepa's to get fed so when she's away I'll check them out. Do I wear rubber gloves to stop them smelling of me? Or is that other animals?
angiescarr is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.