Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pool experts - Advice please

Pool experts - Advice please

Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool experts - Advice please

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s very hard to put too much in, get a test kit and keep a check on it.
communal pool................
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
communal pool................
Don`t matter you can still check it out, the kit is only about 6 €`s.
You fill the phials up to the mark with pool water, put in 5 drops from the little bottles you get with it, each side is marked Chlor or PH and you check the colour on the side of the phials, it`s usual to keep them just above mid.
Or you can get test strips, you just dip them in and swirl about, then check colours on the box.
HERE
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Don`t matter you can still check it out, the kit is only about 6 €`s.
You fill the phials up to the mark with pool water, put in 5 drops from the little bottles you get with it, each side is marked Chlor or PH and you check the colour on the side of the phials, it`s usual to keep them just above mid.
Or you can get test strips, you just dip them in and swirl about, then check colours on the box.
HERE
I know I can buy them - but what could I realistically do about it

maybe I should just have a chat with the pool guy
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know I can buy them - but what could I realistically do about it

maybe I should just have a chat with the pool guy
Yes, speak to him and tell him you are going to sue him for bottles of tomato sauce needed to sort your daughters hair out.
Or speak to the president about the problem you are having with the hair.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes, speak to him and tell him you are going to sue him for bottles of tomato sauce needed to sort your daughters hair out.
Or speak to the president about the problem you are having with the hair.
well this is it!!

it's costing a fortune in ketchup!!!

wonder who the president is?

I still haven't managed to get hold of a copy of the community rules.............
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:57 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

well this is it!!

it's costing a fortune in ketchup!!!

wonder who the president is?

I still haven't managed to get hold of a copy of the community rules.............
Cranberry juice works too and less messy than ketchup
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Cranberry juice works too and less messy than ketchup
actually I'm wondering if lemon juice would - it's the acid that works, right?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

How long does anyone backwash? I've been told recently, having the same issue with fine particles coming out of the jets when vacuuming, that I've probably not backwashed long enough, and should do 3 min plus up to a minute rinse. Unfortunately we then lost a load of water & haven't had mains much recently so I haven't tested the theory, nor been able to vac to waste which I would do when there's a lot of stuff to get rid of (such as after putting Oxygen Activo in, which is brilliant for clearing murk in my pool....)
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by fionamw
How long does anyone backwash? I've been told recently, having the same issue with fine particles coming out of the jets when vacuuming, that I've probably not backwashed long enough, and should do 3 min plus up to a minute rinse. Unfortunately we then lost a load of water & haven't had mains much recently so I haven't tested the theory, nor been able to vac to waste which I would do when there's a lot of stuff to get rid of (such as after putting Oxygen Activo in, which is brilliant for clearing murk in my pool....)
You should do it before vacuuming and after,
You can see the gunge in the phial on the side of the valve or some sand filters have a see through lid, do it till the water clears then rinse for half a min.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You should do it before vacuuming and after,
You can see the gunge in the phial on the side of the valve or some sand filters have a see through lid, do it till the water clears then rinse for half a min.

I've been doing that - ours is that little side phial thingy - but he said make sure & do it longer than you might think, hence me asking how long anyone else with filter problems thinks is enough!
I can see our outlet pipe too, and he suggested using the clarity of the water coming out during washing rather than the little phial. So 3 minutes.
Another reason for querying was cos the pool girl of the previous house owner only did it for seconds, something like 30 sec wash, 10 sec rinse; so maybe the sand never got a thorough clean in her day (It's been changed to zeolite since then).
Either way, I've got to wait til we have mains water again before doing it. Won't hold my breath!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:03 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I've been doing that - ours is that little side phial thingy - but he said make sure & do it longer than you might think, hence me asking how long anyone else with filter problems thinks is enough!
I can see our outlet pipe too, and he suggested using the clarity of the water coming out during washing rather than the little phial. So 3 minutes.
Another reason for querying was cos the pool girl of the previous house owner only did it for seconds, something like 30 sec wash, 10 sec rinse; so maybe the sand never got a thorough clean in her day (It's been changed to zeolite since then).
Either way, I've got to wait til we have mains water again before doing it. Won't hold my breath!
I would do it for at least 3 mins and then rinse for 30-60 seconds.

Realistically though, you need to do it until the water clears!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:23 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Chlorine doesn't turn blonde hair green, it's copper that does that.

Oh and too much flocc can be a cause of cloudiness
Hold on hold on hold on!

Where the HELL have you been?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

I always had this problem of cloudiness coming back in. Lots of trials with sand etc. lots of backwashing. I finally found out, the only way to get clean pool is to vacume on waste, it uses about 2 inches of water depth, but the water cost is far better than the time of all the repeat backwashings and repeat vacuming!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by searcher48
I always had this problem of cloudiness coming back in. Lots of trials with sand etc. lots of backwashing. I finally found out, the only way to get clean pool is to vacume on waste, it uses about 2 inches of water depth, but the water cost is far better than the time of all the repeat backwashings and repeat vacuming!
I always do that after a torrential rain instead of pumping it out. ;-))
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
I always do that after a torrential rain instead of pumping it out. ;-))
Excellent idea - if a bit hazardous in the midst of an electric storm, which was happening the last time I had to drop the level!!! ...so didn't vac at the time...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.