British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Pool cleaning Magnets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/pool-cleaning-magnets-444123/)

MSK Apr 22nd 2007 5:23 pm

Pool cleaning Magnets

Hi,

Has anyone any knowledge of magnets which are being sold to clean pools without the use of chemicals?:)

janet57 Apr 22nd 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Pool cleaning Magnets

no...but a catfish may do the trick..........well they do clean fish tanks and its the same theary also they dont have teeth so you can leave them in and you wont get bit.:rofl:rofl: :

Solarwhizz Apr 22nd 2007 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by janet57 (Post 4681333)
no...but a catfish may do the trick..........well they do clean fish tanks and its the same theary also they dont have teeth so you can leave them in and you wont get bit.:rofl:rofl: :

Yep, I saw this advert in a Mag I picked up in an exhibition last week
Pool Stars,, 965 757 217
Email [email protected]
They priced them at 8x4 190€ + IVA
10x5 380€ plus IVA

I dont think they clean the pool, just keep the water fresh and free of bugs etc

jdr Apr 22nd 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz (Post 4681592)
Yep, I saw this advert in a Mag I picked up in an exhibition last week
Pool Stars,, 965 757 217
Email [email protected]
They priced them at 8x4 190€ + IVA
10x5 380€ plus IVA

I dont think they clean the pool, just keep the water fresh and free of bugs etc

I`m not convinced and dont know anyone who uses them. HERE

Big Pete Apr 22nd 2007 6:57 pm

Im with jdr on this i cannot see how a magnet can clean anything :confused:

Have heard it being used in collecting minor metal particals from liquids ,and also damn good fun as a kid trying to keep them apart and picking up paperclips and things :D

But picking up a dead Spanish Flea from the floor , pretty unlikely ..

leighbloke Apr 22nd 2007 7:05 pm

Pool cleaning magnat(e)?
Is that like a press baron or an industrial tycoon?

Didn't think there was that much money in pool cleaning?

Mitzyboy Apr 22nd 2007 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Big Pete (Post 4681765)
Im with jdr on this i cannot see how a magnet can clean anything :confused:

Have heard it being used in collecting minor metal particals from liquids ,and also damn good fun as a kid trying to keep them apart and picking up paperclips and things :D

But picking up a dead Spanish Flea from the floor , pretty unlikely ..

They use high power magnets on domestic water supplies to stop water tanks & boilers from furring up

Dxf Apr 22nd 2007 9:30 pm

Hi,

The magnet system for descaling water in England was proved not to work and the ads have been banned etc. Magnets only attract iron, nickel and cobalt. And I may have gone to school a long time ago, but physics have not changed, only the methods of extracting money from fools !!!

Dave

rugbymatt Apr 22nd 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSK (Post 4681314)
Hi,

Has anyone any knowledge of magnets which are being sold to clean pools without the use of chemicals?:)

dont know where you would find them in Spain but its all about reversing ions in the water if I remember rightly, they use it in Horticulture to de ionise water, but not sure if that actually cleans it.

Mitzyboy Apr 22nd 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 4682359)
Hi,

but physics have not changed, only the methods of extracting money from fools !!!

Dave

:blink:

Beachcomber Apr 22nd 2007 9:38 pm

Do these magnets come from Nigeria?

Mitzyboy Apr 22nd 2007 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 4682394)
Do these magnets come from Nigeria?

Yes, together with a guarantee to have £75,000,000 credited to your bank account should you be completely dissatisfied or slightly daft

Fred James Apr 23rd 2007 6:53 am

Hi,

The magnet system for descaling water in England was proved not to work and the ads have been banned etc. Magnets only attract iron, nickel and cobalt. And I may have gone to school a long time ago, but physics have not changed, only the methods of extracting money from fools !!!

Dave

That is not entirely correct. There are many commercial magnetic water treatment systems available worldwide including the UK. It is possible that some of the more dubiuos low cost devices may have been removed from the market due to over zealous claims but at a commercial level many systems are available.

However they are desiged to descale (soften) the water. Unlike conventional water softeners (the ion exchange type) they do not actually remove the calcium scale forming particles, they just prevent them forming a buildup of scale. This works particularly well in continouous flow processes.

It has nothing to do with magnetic attraction as such as you pointed out that magnets only attract certain metals. Electromagnetic fields, however, do have other effects than just attraction and it is this that is used in these devices.

That said, although such a system would be well suited to avoiding buildup of calcium deposits in a pool it would have no effect on th pH of the water and it certainly would not clean it or sterilise it in any way at all.

jonsol Apr 23rd 2007 11:07 am

Hi,

Dave

Yep, they dont seem to work on my water system :thumbdown:

AJayUK Jul 5th 2007 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 4683544)

That said, although such a system would be well suited to avoiding buildup of calcium deposits in a pool it would have no effect on th pH of the water and it certainly would not clean it or sterilise it in any way at all.

Not quite true either.
When water passes through a focused magnetic field, the water molecules chage from Neg ion to Pos ion thereby Inonising the water, this will help Breakdown the cal and disperse it, it also helps make the water softer and silkier, as for Ph, it will stabalise the Ph within a pool and maintain the correct Ph balance. You will always however, require Sanitisation of the pool and Figures by some of 95% less Chlorine is rather far fetched, figs of between 30-50% would be attainable.

Take a look here http://www.casa-martinique.com/poolmagnets.html

or for a more indepth look at Pool magnets and the benifits look here... http://clearwatergmx.com/magnetized2.html