Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

pomegranete seeds

pomegranete seeds

Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default pomegranete seeds

My wifes once bought pomegranet seeds in a little tub, and she is giving me grief because I dont remember which supermarket she bought them in (she doesnt remember either, but that is irrelevant).

Does anyone know where they sell them?

She wants them for a salad, and right now I would not trust her with any weapons like needles, so buying a whole one and picking the sodding seeds out, is not an option.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: pomegranete seeds

Not knowing where you are I can tell you that I have only bought them that way in the Uk and in particular in Waitrose.

In Spain its a DIY job, (spoon not needles
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You can get them in the fruit and veg department of Mercadonna.

Rosemary
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:14 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Not knowing where you are I can tell you that I have only bought them that way in the Uk and in particular in Waitrose.

In Spain its a DIY job, (spoon not needles
You could be right about buying themin the UK, I cant remember eating any bloody salad with pommy seeds, the marida insists I have though.

So if I cant remember eating it, how the hell does she expect me to remember where I ate it
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You can get them in the fruit and veg department of Mercadonna.

Rosemary
I dont believe it, all the brain racking, and they sell them in Mercadona??????

You are a
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont believe it, all the brain racking, and they sell them in Mercadona??????

You are a
Yes they sell them in our local Mercadona too!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:26 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Useless factoid: Pomegranate is known as food of the dead and it is the reason we have seasons (well according to Greek mythology anyway...)

The myth of Persephone, the goddess of the Underworld, also prominently features the pomegranate. In one version of Greek mythology, Persephone was kidnapped by Hades and taken off to live in the underworld as his wife. Her mother, Demeter (goddess of the Harvest), went into mourning for her lost daughter and thus all green things ceased to grow. Zeus, the highest ranking of the Greek gods, could not allow the Earth to die, so he commanded Hades to return Persephone. It was the rule of the Fates that anyone who consumed food or drink in the Underworld was doomed to spend eternity there. Persephone had no food, but Hades tricked her into eating six pomegranate seeds while she was still his prisoner and so, because of this, she was condemned to spend six months in the Underworld every year. During these six months, when Persephone is sitting on the throne of the Underworld next to her husband Hades, her mother Demeter mourns and no longer gives fertility to the earth. This became an ancient Greek explanation for the seasons.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:47 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Useless factoid: Pomegranate is known as food of the dead and it is the reason we have seasons (well according to Greek mythology anyway...)
Hmm, bad news for me then, I eat at least one a day when they're in season, always straight out of the skin.
I get the impression that most ppl.prefer to seperate all the pips first to avoid the bitter bits ?
I've never had a problem, scoring the outer skin and breaking them into their natural segments before eating.
Practice makes perfect I suppose.