Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Politicians who understand the modern world

Politicians who understand the modern world

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:16 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Politicians who understand the modern world

Are there any?

Only one I can think of is a Tory mp called Grant Schapps, but he's so devious he makes Barcenas & co look amateur.

I suppose in terms of realPolitik both Merkel and Putin tend to get their way... but I wonder if they truly have a handle on the modern e-economy?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:21 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politicians who understand the modern world

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Are there any?

Only one I can think of is a Tory mp called Grant Schapps, but he's so devious he makes Barcenas & co look amateur.

I suppose in terms of realPolitik both Merkel and Putin tend to get their way... but I wonder if they truly have a handle on the modern e-economy?
I imagine there are quite a few. The problem is, they wont go far with that attitude
Old May 4th 2013, 9:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I imagine there are quite a few. The problem is, they wont go far with that attitude
You can say that again.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/deputy-spe...on-sex-charges
Old May 6th 2013, 6:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Are there any?

I don't think GS understands the modern world - although he has used it to hide his identity almost as many times as those chasing around the world looking for someone to let them watch Corrie tonight.

IMHO I don't think there is anyone who understands the modern world - but if they did they would be enough of a realist to hide it and just play the game as everyone else does.
Some people used to think this of Ian Duncan Smith and a couple of others, but they found out quite rapidly that stepping off the dry onto something even remotely damp letalone wet put them on the margins

Sad really, but very much like business I'm afraid
Old May 7th 2013, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they do understand the modern world, when they are not all swimming in the same cesspit they are burying their heads in the sand.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:58 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Politicians are us, they're an accurate reflection of the society we live in. If the society is honest, we get honest politicians; if the society is devious, it will have devious politicians. What about some obvious examples?

Spain is a country of black money, and Luis Barcenas, the former PP treasurer, spread it around the elected politicians, just as you would expect.

Germany lost the two biggest wars in world history, and the aftermath got the people used to severe austerity, and they voted in a leader who breathes it.

British people don't know what to make of Europe, most of them want to be part of it but retain their sovereignty at the same time, which is confusing, so they vote in a system that is totally confused.

The cradle of democracy has a black president and condones water boarding and Guantanamo Bay.

Confused? I am.
Old May 7th 2013, 9:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Politicians are us, they're an accurate reflection of the society we live in. If the society is honest, we get honest politicians; if the society is devious, it will have devious politicians. What about some obvious examples?

Spain is a country of black money, and Luis Barcenas, the former PP treasurer, spread it around the elected politicians, just as you would expect.

Germany lost the two biggest wars in world history, and the aftermath got the people used to severe austerity, and they voted in a leader who breathes it.

British people don't know what to make of Europe, most of them want to be part of it but retain their sovereignty at the same time, which is confusing, so they vote in a system that is totally confused.

The cradle of democracy has a black president and condones water boarding and Guantanamo Bay.

Confused? I am.
Greece has a black president?? Confused am I.
Old May 7th 2013, 9:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Greece has a black president?? Confused am I.
So am I, imagine getting the cradle of democracy mixed up with the land of the free?
Old May 7th 2013, 9:42 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Confused? I am.
So goes the irony of human behaviour. The irony of human behaviour doesn't recognise nationality, religion, or political persuasion. It is something that's uniquely human.

But looking at the reasons for it, we just tend to do things without fully thinking through the consequences.

Spain's culture has always been about "going around the government" - and as black as the money is today, there was a lot more of it under Franco. Fixing it means changing history, trust, and social habits. Anyone have a magic wand?

Germans don't yet know what austerity is. They have a reasonably good economy, reasonably good employment, high standard of living, and pretty good social system. Germans believe everything is organised in boxes, and therefore, when they see the disorganised mess the PIIGS have, they assume that the fixing it is simply a matter of making rules and putting it all in boxes. The irony is that despite their "über-organisierte" culture, they also seem to be slowly going broke, and may eventually find out exactly what austerity is, boxes or no boxes.

By the way, waterboarding is illegal in the US and all over the civilised world, but that doesn't stop people of all nationalities from doing it, just as murder laws don't stop people from doing it, regardless of their nationality.

And with regards to Guantanamo, IIRC, over 70% of the US population is against it, their Black president is obviously against it, but it shouldn't have been done in the first place. Like many things not well thought through, getting out of it obviously raises a few complications...
Old May 7th 2013, 1:21 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
So am I, imagine getting the cradle of democracy mixed up with the land of the free?
I have recently found that the coffee in the bars is way way too strong, makes me feel fuzzy and light headed, even the decaff.

What's your excuse ??

`
Old May 7th 2013, 1:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
I have recently found that the coffee in the bars is way way too strong, makes me feel fuzzy and light headed, even the decaff.

What's your excuse ??

`
I wish I had that excuse, but I wrote my post at 6.49 am before the bars were even open.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I wish I had that excuse, but I wrote my post at 6.49 am before the bars were even open.
doesn't seem like you have had much sleep since getting home

but as we get older I do wish I could sit back and erase a little bit to make more space in the non-tin brain

but the coffee is a nuisance as I am now having to ask for a whimpy sobre
Old May 7th 2013, 3:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
So goes the irony of human behaviour. The irony of human behaviour doesn't recognise nationality, religion, or political persuasion. It is something that's uniquely human.

But looking at the reasons for it, we just tend to do things without fully thinking through the consequences.

Spain's culture has always been about "going around the government" - and as black as the money is today, there was a lot more of it under Franco. Fixing it means changing history, trust, and social habits. Anyone have a magic wand?

Germans don't yet know what austerity is. They have a reasonably good economy, reasonably good employment, high standard of living, and pretty good social system. Germans believe everything is organised in boxes, and therefore, when they see the disorganised mess the PIIGS have, they assume that the fixing it is simply a matter of making rules and putting it all in boxes. The irony is that despite their "über-organisierte" culture, they also seem to be slowly going broke, and may eventually find out exactly what austerity is, boxes or no boxes.

By the way, waterboarding is illegal in the US and all over the civilised world, but that doesn't stop people of all nationalities from doing it, just as murder laws don't stop people from doing it, regardless of their nationality.

And with regards to Guantanamo, IIRC, over 70% of the US population is against it, their Black president is obviously against it, but it shouldn't have been done in the first place. Like many things not well thought through, getting out of it obviously raises a few complications...
Since 9/11 politics has effectively been ruled out to be replaced by a kind of permanent state of war right around the world. It doesn't matter which strain of politics gets into power, when the suicide bombers strike the country goes to war with the wholehearted support of the people.

The enemy is bombed, rendered and tortured; drones fill the sky, and another million suicide bombers queue up to be fitted with belts.

We need a lasting peace deal, the trouble is they don't seem to want to talk to us and want to blow us up instead.
Old May 7th 2013, 4:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Since 9/11 politics has effectively been ruled out to be replaced by a kind of permanent state of war right around the world. It doesn't matter which strain of politics gets into power, when the suicide bombers strike the country goes to war with the wholehearted support of the people.

The enemy is bombed, rendered and tortured; drones fill the sky, and another million suicide bombers queue up to be fitted with belts.

We need a lasting peace deal, the trouble is they don't seem to want to talk to us and want to blow us up instead.

Exactly, so what else can we do other than get our retaliation in first ?
Old May 7th 2013, 5:09 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HBG

In 2012, 1,760 people died in car accidents in Britain alone.

In the same year, 17 people died in terrorist related incidents in the whole of the EU.

What sort of deal are you thinking of ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.