Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Political balance

Political balance

Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Political balance

The PP was the leading group in both Civil Wars, Franco financed them, and Aznar was a leader of a Francist group used to teach young Politically intelligent people who could one day run Spain, today that group still excists within the PP and Aznar has been openly supporting the old regime.

PP people are francist because its a right wing group with a membership of very extreme people.

PSOE were banned under Franco, the PP was the only group.
I wanted to touch on this post from Lee8 which found its way into the House Demolished in Vera thread – since it hasn’t much to do with the demolition subject, but is perhaps worthy of a few comments.
The PP is the Partido Popular, founded with this name in 1989 (it was the Alianza Popular beforehand) is described in Wikipedia as a party of the ‘centroderecha’ – or ‘centre right’ and in its statutes it describes itself as ‘centre reformist’. In the European Union it is part of the ‘European Popular Party’.
Describing it, in essence, as a loony fascist party is a bit strong in my opinion. It’s a democratic centre-right party. The fascist party, per se, in Spain is La Fuerza Nueva which dresses up in blue shirts and gives the old Nazi salute on Franco’s birthday in some plaza in Madrid. All told, there must be about ten of them.
I’m not sure that the PP was very active in the Spanish civil war – for some fairly obvious reasons.
The only party allowed after the Civil War was Franco’s ‘El Movimiento’
There weren’t two civil wars, as far as I know...
I would say to Lee8 that the most honest party in Spain – where there is no patience for corruption – where people are chucked out immediately if they stray from the party line (for better or worse) - is the Izquierda Unida, the United Left which includes about sixty fractions with the Partido Comunista more or less in charge. The most corrupt party – in my humble opinion, is the centre left PSOE.