Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plumbing in Spain

Plumbing in Spain

Old May 31st 2013, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Nevin81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbing in Spain

Is it worth me giving it a go in Spain working as a plumber solar engineer and all round DIY man or are opportunities rare because of the state of the economy
Old May 31st 2013, 6:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Spain

can you afford to pay out €295 every month for autonomo irrespective of how much money you make out of it ? (and thats from day 1 of registration).

if you read the local free papers on the CDS you will find a large number of already established businesses already doing the same, advertising, and sometimes getting business.

Friend of mine has a very successful electrical and ac business in the UK. Bought a place on CDS without any ac so decided to take a couple of his engineers out for a working holiday. All got cancelled when he found that he could buy ac fitted in Spain for less than he was buy the kit in UK.

Earlier this month Brico were advertising ac splits for under €200 (supply only), others are supplying well known names from €300 or so.

If you have plenty of money in the bank and this is just a hobby to keep your hand in then fine, otherwise stay in the UK

kr
Old May 31st 2013, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Provided you are fluent in Spanish there's no reason you'd be less likely to get work in Spain than any of the 6 million people currently unemployed.
(Just a long way of saying "no" )
Old May 31st 2013, 10:19 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Or, if you can find work, are you prepared to work for 6 euros/hour?

Out of that you would have to pay NI, tax etc.
Old May 31st 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

You may (I know electricians do) need to be officially registered to carry out legal works and be able to issue the official paper to allow properties to be connected to the mains.
Old May 31st 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes times are hard in Spain so work is hard to find, if you are in a area with a large expat community you may get by without speaking much Spanish, to be fair if you are prepaired to work hard you may stand a chance, I have all but given up on giving work to expats, most of them I have used seam to think they have moved to Spain for a holiday with a little work so don't turn up on time if at all, rubbish work and high prices, I find Spanish workers much better so tend to use them when ever I can
Old May 31st 2013, 8:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

forgive my asking but whatever happened to the Op??
Old Jun 1st 2013, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Plumbing in Spain

Originally Posted by Nevin81
Is it worth me giving it a go in Spain working as a plumber solar engineer and all round DIY man or are opportunities rare because of the state of the economy
Big question but come and have a look for yourself. All the plumbers I know are busy but they have built up a clientelle over the years. Getting started right now would be very difficult and to pay for your Social Security, rent, car and cost of living would make it almost impossible.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by spainrico
You may (I know electricians do) need to be officially registered to carry out legal works and be able to issue the official paper to allow properties to be connected to the mains.
so wouldn't that mean someone, no matter how good, how stuffed with "Editions" and expensive training would become a second icky just labouring and reliant on the work available from an SP qual'd/certed

I can see another sat tv "expert" coming on
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For normal plumbing work there is no problem but where the resultant work needs to be signed off on a Botelin then, like electricians, the unregistered plumber gets a registered plumber to inspect and issue the paperwork.

Most plumbing work is fixing problems and replacing items such as pumps and heaters which do not require certification - that's where all our plumbing costs have gone.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Since half-an-hour ago, I'm now an expert on the subject of Spanish plumbers. I was sitting on my sunny terrace, when to my horror I noticed the familiar signs of raw sewage floating along the lower terrace, right in front of me.

Having locked the dogs indoors, I've phoned one of my Spanish plumbers, I'm on first name terms with at least a dozen of them. Being Sunday tomorrow, he's going to charge me double, these disasters always seem to happen at weekends.

My house is 35 years old, Spanish built, I've owned it for 15 years. Concentrating on the plumbing alone, and only for the last three years or so, the replacement plumbing has cost me thousands of Euros.

Everything that could be replaced, has been replaced, and still shit happens.

I did try English plumbers in the past, but they don't seem to understand the Spanish system (and nor do I). It's different.