British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/plumbers-449524/)

voivod May 12th 2007 9:57 am

plumbers

Hi
Am a corgi reg plumber with all certs....looking to move to spain or somewhere warmer than scotland...( thats most places ;) lol)
Was wondering is there work in spain for someone who doesnt speak spanish...yet..But works hard ...and does a good job?
Is there English speaking building firms out there that would be willing to take plumbers on?
thank you
steve

jdr May 12th 2007 10:47 am

Re: plumbers

Originally Posted by voivod (Post 4769820)
Hi
Am a corgi reg plumber with all certs....looking to move to spain or somewhere warmer than scotland...( thats most places ;) lol)
Was wondering is there work in spain for someone who doesnt speak spanish...yet..But works hard ...and does a good job?
Is there English speaking building firms out there that would be willing to take plumbers on?
thank you
steve

There are a few firms about the Costa del sol, but you will struggle with just English.
The plumbing is totally different here, just one example, baths dont have legs they are bricked in, lol
Most places use bottled gas and ascot type water heaters run on mains pressure.

mikelincs May 12th 2007 1:38 pm

Hi
thank you
steve

Very few places with mains gas, but there are plans to extend the pipelines, but as most of the coastal towns are bottles gas only I suspect that there will be littlechance of them bringing pipelines to any of the big areas, just think of the disruption that laying a new gas pipe in one street causes, never mind setting up a supply system that is totally new. As jdr says, most places use bottled gas with simple rubber pipe connections. You might well get some work doing repairs and new installations, but without Spanish, it's unlikely that you would get work with any of the building firms as they are almost exclusively Spanish.

voivod May 12th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 4770376)
Very few places with mains gas, but there are plans to extend the pipelines, but as most of the coastal towns are bottles gas only I suspect that there will be littlechance of them bringing pipelines to any of the big areas, just think of the disruption that laying a new gas pipe in one street causes, never mind setting up a supply system that is totally new. As jdr says, most places use bottled gas with simple rubber pipe connections. You might well get some work doing repairs and new installations, but without Spanish, it's unlikely that you would get work with any of the building firms as they are almost exclusively Spanish.

I do have lpg and oil experience :)
must practise my spanish too

Solarwhizz May 12th 2007 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by voivod (Post 4770555)
I do have lpg and oil experience :)
must practise my spanish too

Unless, you can get registered in Spain, you will not be able to issue boletins for gas systems, or for new houses,
Unlikely toget work with a building company or spanish as a plumber, however, there is plenty of opportunity as self employed. with a skill that appears as scarce as plumbing, particularly if yu can fit Aircon also, however you will need to advertise build up a reputation and a customer referral base, and that will all take time, I would reckon on 18months plus before you get enough referral work to be self sufficient!!

David May 17th 2007 3:32 pm

Good plumbers with plenty of experience and qualifications are always in demand. As a building company we employ plumbers as well as sub contract them. If you decide to go on your own you will need to get your Spanish up to date unless you are only going to work for expats exclusively.

voivod May 18th 2007 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Cadiz Builders (Post 4793648)
Good plumbers with plenty of experience and qualifications are always in demand. As a building company we employ plumbers as well as sub contract them. If you decide to go on your own you will need to get your Spanish up to date unless you are only going to work for expats exclusively.

If you happen to have any jobs coming off in the next year ...please give me a shout...will send you my cv.:D
Am looking to work for a firm rather than go on my own .

spain May 18th 2007 6:16 am

Hi
thank you
steve

dont think corgi certs are recognised in Spain ?

jdr May 18th 2007 6:23 am

Originally Posted by spain (Post 4796240)
dont think corgi certs are recognised in Spain ?

Every appliance in Spain would fail the testing and regs, thats for sure. ;-)