British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Please help, Going to Barcelona in July need accomodation for 4-5 weeks. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/please-help-going-barcelona-july-need-accomodation-4-5-weeks-672311/)

artemis959 Jun 13th 2010 11:11 pm

Please help, Going to Barcelona in July need accomodation for 4-5 weeks.

Hi there,

I will be going to the Barcelona area in early July for around 4-5 weeks. I am looking to rent a small appartment/flat/bedsit that is cheap and suitable for a couple. I am willing to consider the Barcelona Metropolitan area, including Sitges and Vilanova, Sabadell and Terrassa.
Any help or offers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

steviedeluxe Jun 15th 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Please help, Going to Barcelona in July need accomodation for 4-5 weeks.

Hi - Sorry you've had no replies as yet. It seems that British expats normally move away smartish from Barcelona for some reason! :unsure:
I fear you may have real problems with the "cheap" part. If you wanted to rent out a flat in barcelona would you prefer someone who was only willing to pay cheap, or someone willing to pay more for the privilege of being near the sea but in a modern vibrant city? Have you looked into the possiibilty of a flat-share instead? This is quite possible in Madrid - for example the 2 following places can fix you up (for other readers who may want to stay in Madrid) http://www.accommadrid.com/ and http://www.madridrooms.co.uk/
Another option is the website couchsurfing.
I'm afraid I don't have any links to accommodation agencies in Barcelona, but wish you a lot of luck. One long shot may to call Language schools, colleges etc and ask to speak to the accommodation officer - ok, a bit cheeky but they may just know someone who can help. Another option may be to book a few days in a hostal (think B&B or cheap hotel, not the UK meaning of hostel) and spend those days going around colleges, copy shops etc where you'll often see adverts for this type of thing on the wall. Additionally, there are bound to be English language newspapers/magazines in Barcelona, and if you can get hold of one of those they may have landlords advertising. Lastly - try looking in (and advertising) in Craigslist and/or Gumtree.

Good Luck and please let us know how you get on! Your experience may be of benefit to others in the future.

ivanmax Jun 16th 2010 10:49 am

Hi,

You can expect to pay around 800 euros for a one bedroom flat in Barcelona. The tricky part will be to find somebody who wants to rent you a flat there for that period of time. Is Barcelona de only place where you are considering going? I live in Burgos and I am going to be away from my place from the 1st of august to the 7th of September. I got a lovely 3 bedroom flat about 15 min from the cathedral. If you feel interested let me know.

Ivanmax

pain-in-spain Jun 16th 2010 1:17 pm

I live in Barcelona (but hoping to move back to London by end of this year!). I bought my flat 8 years ago, it´s in the city centre down town area close to all the tourist sights, it´s no longer where we want to be, long story.
Anyway, I have worked in the tourist rental business for a couple of years and I can honestly tell you that this is a very very expensive city. My company promotes super luxury properties so it´s a niche market, however, even the very rich consider our prices high, I´ve tried explaining this to my bosses but despite the severe crisis here they refuse to adjust the prices, people here are very greedy indeed. I recently helped a friend move here for a 2 month stay, she had a huge amount of problems finding somewhere for just a month, the cheaper rentals by private owners will be a min of a year and they ask for anything from 3 to 6 months up front. You will not find anything for short in high season, I know this for a fact as I have only recently been looking and it´s all booked or very expensive. My friend ended up paying 2100 euro for a month in a 1 bed flat in the Ramblas area, it´s just her on her own. She is shocked at the prices here but I´m pleased as she didn´t believe me before she came over. Personally, I can´t wait to leave! I wish you luck finding a reasonable option for your stay but it will be very difficult for sure.

cricketman Jun 16th 2010 4:10 pm

I used the following website for a 1 week stay in BCN a few years ago

http://www.rent4days.com/

You could also try www.segundamano.com, there are often flats there offered for holiday stays.

Yes Barcelona is expensive, but not quite as expensive as London (I've lived ikn both cities). But yes I'd be suprised if you'll be able to find anywhere to stay under 1500 euros a month in peak seasion, for a short term let. This is normal though, you'd be looking at £2k plus in London

ivanmax Jun 17th 2010 7:29 am

Hi,

Yes, the prices will be probably higher if you only want to rent for a month. When I said 800 months I meant what some of my friends over there pay monthly for long term rentals. Barcelona, as Cricketman says is outragerously expensive. I can´t really understand how anybody can live there. Madrid isn´t much better. I got a couple of friends who just moved there and they are living in a 20 square meters studio paying 600 euros per month. And again that is a long term rental. If you wanted to rent a flat for a month that amount would double (and that would be if you were lucky enough to find somebody who wants to rent for that period of time).

Wish you luck,

Ivanmax

steviedeluxe Jun 19th 2010 9:59 am

This is probably a very long shot, but try speaking to someone at the British Council or one of the other major Language Schools in Barcelona. The reason I say this is because I know a guy who works as an English teacher in Madrid, and he tries (where possible) to get someone to stay for a month or two in his flat over the summer, and pay say 500 Euros rent. This allows him to either work in the UK at a summer school, or to go on holiday. When he's unable to do this he takes the risk of allowing the lease to lapse and move out of the flat for a month or two, hoping he can move straight back in the Autumn. Now, it's possible there are English teachers in Barcelona renting a flat, who won't rent it all summer (as you may know by August all big cities come to a halt in most of Spain). There must be some landlords who rent their flats out to English teachers, who don't get much demand in the summer low season, and the people at the language schools may have their contact details. As I say, it's a long shot, but it may be worth pursuing.

Edit : just found this link. May give a clearer idea of prices:

http://www.barcelonaconnect.com/clas...-Holiday-Flats

artemis959 Jun 19th 2010 12:15 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your help and advice. I will try to find if it is indeed possible to get accomodation for below £1000 in Barcelona.

I have heard that neighbouring Barcelona cities such as Badalona or L'Hospitalet have much cheaper accomodation but so far I cannot seem to find that on the net.

Regards

Artemis959

lndner Dec 5th 2010 9:03 am

You need to look for a flat share in www.loquo.com

Please remember that if somebody lets you a flat for just a month, under Spanish law, you have the right to stay at the property for up to 5 years and the landlord can only put the rent up based on a formula that considers inflation. Even if you stopped paying it is unlikely they could legally ask you to move out for about 6 months and they'd need to take you to court and still pay for all the bills at the flat. Risky business, partilculalrly if you are paying a mortgage or need the rental money to survive....

I personally don't know any country that would rent a flat for a short period, like 4 weeks, cheap. It is just not worth the hassle. Word of mouth is your best bet, there may be somebody going away and interested in renting the place whilst they are away... even finding a flat share for just 4 weeks may be difficult. Put yourself in the other people's shoes...

I have a two bedroom flat by Ramblas that I let long term and the rules of the building prevent me from renting it for short lets. A special license from the council is needed for that anyway!

I'm sure if you look enough you will find something!! If I hear fo anything I'll let you know. Good luck! :)

linjon Dec 5th 2010 5:24 pm

Hi,

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html

Just a thought, if you could maybe get hold of a decent size tent, there are campsites in barcelona. They also offer chalet accommodation but as it is high season when you need to go, the prices are very high.

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 5th 2010 11:14 pm

Eh? why has this thread been raised for? The OP should have been in BCN and returned to their home by now.:D

linjon Dec 6th 2010 8:55 am

Oh dear.....sorry, I didn't check the date that the OP had replied!! :o

jdr Dec 6th 2010 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by lndner (Post 9021987)
You need to look for a flat share in www.loquo.com

Please remember that if somebody lets you a flat for just a month, under Spanish law, you have the right to stay at the property for up to 5 years and the landlord can only put the rent up based on a formula that considers inflation. Even if you stopped paying it is unlikely they could legally ask you to move out for about 6 months and they'd need to take you to court and still pay for all the bills at the flat. Risky business, partilculalrly if you are paying a mortgage or need the rental money to survive....

I personally don't know any country that would rent a flat for a short period, like 4 weeks, cheap. It is just not worth the hassle. Word of mouth is your best bet, there may be somebody going away and interested in renting the place whilst they are away... even finding a flat share for just 4 weeks may be difficult. Put yourself in the other people's shoes...

I have a two bedroom flat by Ramblas that I let long term and the rules of the building prevent me from renting it for short lets. A special license from the council is needed for that anyway!

I'm sure if you look enough you will find something!! If I hear fo anything I'll let you know. Good luck! :)

Read the new rules, this has changed depending on the wording in the contract. ;);)