British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Planning to buy property in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/planning-buy-property-spain-927072/)

mistran Aug 8th 2019 10:13 am

Planning to buy property in Spain

Hi all, I'm sure i'm not the first to ask this on this forum so please forgive me.
I want to buy a small home in Spain near La Zenia in preperation for semi retirement, I'm at the very beginning and looking for a place to start before even looking at property I want to grasp the process, litigations, etc..
Looking for resources that can help - books, on-line resources, people who have been and done it would be awesome.

Anil

el collado kid Aug 13th 2019 8:16 am

Re: Planning to buy property in Spain

Originally Posted by mistran (Post 12720362)
Hi all, I'm sure i'm not the first to ask this on this forum so please forgive me.
I want to buy a small home in Spain near La Zenia in preperation for semi retirement, I'm at the very beginning and looking for a place to start before even looking at property I want to grasp the process, litigations, etc..
Looking for resources that can help - books, on-line resources, people who have been and done it would be awesome.

Anil

hi :wave:mistran please go too as many local agents as possible (look on line) be patient dont rush,look for a home in the cooler months it can get very hot and hectic::( the process is not to bad.use independent people ie agent ,legal so on ,,, but make sure your home is legal.legal.legal, you can check at the town hall for :thumbsup:free

mikelincs Aug 13th 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mistran (Post 12720362)

Anil

When looking be aware that properties my well be on the books of several agents, and at different prices, it's not like the UK. I would also suggest you rent for at least 6 months before deciding on where to buy, especially over the winter period as that area is vvery much busier in summer with tourists,.We did live in several areas round there, some were nice, others were a huge disaster.

missile Aug 13th 2019 1:35 pm

If you have already chosen your area, then the process is much simpler. I know that area well, we purchased in Ciudad Quesada which is close by. AFIK there are no illegal builds in La Zenia. Check the property matches the escritura, i.e. no extensions have been carried out without planning approval.

There are several EA who have properties in La Zenia. Best to go with a personal recommendation. Go visit a café or bar in La Zenia Boulevard and chat to the locals.

IMHO; The process is much quicker and easier than England. Use a competent solicitor (abogado) and you will have no problems.