Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Anyone see the programme - the presenter forgot to mention things like electricity problems and illegal homes!!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Originally Posted by glynis
Anyone see the programme - the presenter forgot to mention things like electricity problems and illegal homes!!
yeah I saw it, I think they will struggle with planning permission as well
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:42 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
yeah I saw it, I think they will struggle with planning permission as well
Also, once again, forgot to mention the 10% on top for solicitor, taxes etc.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 6:42 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jjh
Also, once again, forgot to mention the 10% on top for solicitor, taxes etc.
The bit that really caught us out was the additional compulsory life/critical illness/unemployment insurance which is nearly Eu 350 a quarter !!!!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
The bit that really caught us out was the additional compulsory life/critical illness/unemployment insurance which is nearly Eu 350 a quarter !!!!
Is that cos you have a mortgage?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I have a mortgage with a Spanish bank (not a huge one - mortgage that is) and I only had to take out life cover, nothing else. It is with Friends Provident in the UK and costs about £12 per month. Critical illness/unemployment cover is a complete con because of the extremely restrictive conditions and limits on the length of time you can claim for.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:27 am
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, saw it too. Nice couple.
Hope they go on this board one day and let us know how they got on.

They seem to have a real challenge on their hand.

Marketing will have to be excellent and widespread, although am not too sure how much money having 2 guests room could generate as an income?

Am sure they will make it tho.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:43 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Yeah, saw it too. Nice couple.
Hope they go on this board one day and let us know how they got on.

They seem to have a real challenge on their hand.

Marketing will have to be excellent and widespread, although am not too sure how much money having 2 guests room could generate as an income?

Am sure they will make it tho.
Running a B&B we know that having only two rooms will never give you an income.
However we have a friend who is an imobiliaria here in Galicia and having been featured on the show, he is making some good business out of the repeated shows currently on in the U.K.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:10 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Running a B&B we know that having only two rooms will never give you an income.
However we have a friend who is an imobiliaria here in Galicia and having been featured on the show, he is making some good business out of the repeated shows currently on in the U.K.
we are having two small apartments in our house to rent out, does any one on the site do anything similar ?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:21 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have a mortgage with a Spanish bank (not a huge one - mortgage that is) and I only had to take out life cover, nothing else. It is with Friends Provident in the UK and costs about £12 per month. Critical illness/unemployment cover is a complete con because of the extremely restrictive conditions and limits on the length of time you can claim for.
We have a huge mortgage....not too concerned because we still have a large London flat, but the outgoings are larger than we anticipated. We queried the insurance but were told it was compulsory. However the premium apparently decreases as the sum oustanding does. We mentioned the premium paid to Lloyds bank and they said it was about right. The insurance was mentioned on the day of signing ( but not before) and in all the hurly burly we didn't check the premium. However the mortgage was a doddle, lent us more than we expected, and all we supplied were photocopies of payslips.
The extras do add up.. be warned future buyers. A pool has to be maintained, unless you are making very frequent visits you may need a gardener, Spanish banks charge for everything. We don't let at the moment, but have many friends interested, so may do a little next year.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Place in the Sun - Costa de la Luz

Originally Posted by gallerie9
we are having two small apartments in our house to rent out, does any one on the site do anything similar ?
hi there,

we have a finca on the Guadiana with a 50 sq m wooden guest house plus a small garden house providing a second bedroom and a further b&b room in the main house.

We have been here for 4 years and my advice to anyone wishing to end up with a million running a b&b on this scale is to start with 2 and stop when you get to 1.

We work on the basis that every week we can let means we can live/stay for a further month so we need capital behind us.

Having said that we enjoy it enormously have met some lovely people and have to balance more bookings with the other things we want to do. however all enquiries welcome!!!

Re Place in the sun, was it a repeat as we missed it. Damn....
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:23 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

where were they looking at glynis?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
where were they looking at glynis?
They were in Tarifa but also inland at Alcala de los Gazules and Algar (I think).
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday's episode featured a couple looking for a place in Central Seville for £150,000 - they rejected everything they were shown as being too small and just didn't seem to get that their budget would not buy them what they wanted in that location. Sometimes I have to feel sorry for estate agents (but not often though) when you see people's unrealistic expectations.

I remember the property finding company who helped me find my house telling me that everyone wants a 4 bedroom villa with a pool, sea views, within walking distance to the shops but not in a busy area, not overlooked but not isolated, etc etc and all for no more than £100,000.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Yesterday's episode featured a couple looking for a place in Central Seville for £150,000 - they rejected everything they were shown as being too small and just didn't seem to get that their budget would not buy them what they wanted in that location. Sometimes I have to feel sorry for estate agents (but not often though) when you see people's unrealistic expectations.

I remember the property finding company who helped me find my house telling me that everyone wants a 4 bedroom villa with a pool, sea views, within walking distance to the shops but not in a busy area, not overlooked but not isolated, etc etc and all for no more than £100,000.
How right you are....I have Spanish friends in Seville where properties are now on a par with London. I remember expecting to find bargains when we first began looking, and yes inland they can still be found, but as my agent said, it may look good on the internet, but if it seems cheap there is usually a snag..near a busy road, overlooking an eyesore etc etc. I remember when we lost out on a Cortijo in Moron de la Frontera, and the agent ( Spanish) said 'don't worry I have a lovely modern house'. We drove into the countryside to find it was almost in the middle of a cement works. Everything covered in a fine dust!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.