British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   A Place in the sun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/place-sun-774736/)

jackytoo Oct 29th 2012 3:51 pm

Re: A Place in the sun

We paid app. 1200€ IBI in Marbella...plus Urbanisation fees of app. 850€pa. (two years ago) Here we now pay around £2400 council tax. We also pay maintainence of £60pa for a private road. Not much difference but a lot of difference in services.eg. Have a disabled child, one with learning difficulties, a partner with Alzheimers in Spain and you would realise what scant sevices there are. Most of the Ayuntamientos seem to be broke now so what there is will deteriorate further.

Some people pay very little IBI but they are in a minority now...just because a couple of posters pay around 10€:flypig: it does not mean it is the norm. Another thing to consider is that if your income is below about £300 pw in the UK you will get a rebate and in some cases pay none at all.

As for the other stuff...long as a piece of string. I would say if you really need to ask you can't afford to live in Spain unless you want to spend your life watching the euros and buying crap in Lidl.

Lynn R Oct 29th 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10355725)
We paid app. 1200€ IBI in Marbella...plus Urbanisation fees of app. 850€pa. (two years ago) Here we now pay around £2400 council tax. We also pay maintainence of £60pa for a private road. Not much difference but a lot of difference in services.eg. Have a disabled child, one with learning difficulties, a partner with Alzheimers in Spain and you would realise what scant sevices there are. Most of the Ayuntamientos seem to be broke now so what there is will deteriorate further.

Some people pay very little IBI but they are in a minority now...just because a couple of posters pay around 10€:flypig: it does not mean it is the norm. Another thing to consider is that if your income is below about £300 pw in the UK you will get a rebate and in some cases pay none at all.

As for the other stuff...long as a piece of string. I would say if you really need to ask you can't afford to live in Spain unless you want to spend life watching the euros and buying crap in Lidl.

I think my Ayuntamiento is just as broke as any other, and yet a new centre for up to 200 children with problems stemming from premature birth, cerebral damage and growth disorders has just been opened here:-

http://www.velezmalaga.es/index.php?...ticias&id=1882

Try as I might, I can't find anyone in this thread who has said they pay IBI of €10. And you can cut out the flying pigs stuff, you might as well come straight out and accuse people of telling lies. Why should forum members be expected to take any figures you post as genuine, when you don't extend the same courtesy to others?

Your Council Tax in the UK seems very reasonable. in 2006, I was paying £900 (for a house in the lowest band). That would now be £1047:-

http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/info/20...il_tax_charges

I too lived on an unadopted road, but we didn't have the option to pay a small annual amount for the maintenance of it - any repairs had to be organised and paid for by the residents themselves. Even then refuse collection had been cut down to fortnightly, and now residents in the more remote parts of the borough have to take their own waste to collection points - but they still pay full Council Tax.

agoreira Oct 29th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10355725)
. Most of the Ayuntamientos seem to be broke now so what there is will deteriorate further.

Watched a Spanish TV programme, Algeciras or La Línea, somewhere down there, the council workers haven't been paid for 8 months, and they are just one of many areas that have not been paid. The workers said they daren't not work, or they'll be sacked! So they just keep turning up, do their job, but don't get paid. They should pop over the verja to Gib and get a job there, no problems getting paid there.

jackytoo Oct 29th 2012 6:55 pm

We have a weekly refuse collection and a recycling collection fortnightly also a garden rubbish fortnightly.

teuchterpete Oct 29th 2012 6:58 pm

I pay £1400 p.a. for a band "D" house in Argyll&Bute which is well in excess of my place in Spain. I have no mains gas so use a calor tank which costs over £800 to fill every 5 months. Plus electricity and coal for an open fire. All this for a three bed house. The costs in the UK are far in excess of those in Andalucia, and I for one can't wait until I get to live there next year!
Pete

patontheback Oct 29th 2012 7:00 pm

Help needed again with our place in the sun
With the house there is a small pool about 3.5m x 3.5m
Which the water has gone a bit green will I have to pump out
All the water and give the pool a good scrub or can I use
Chemicals to clean up the water. We are still waiting for a moving date
Thanks all

Lynn R Oct 29th 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10355271)
lights take weeks to replace

`

We had two street lights go out just opposite our house on Saturday evening. Some kind neighbour must have reported it this morning - they are back on tonight.

Our Council has a free telephone number to report any kind of defect to, they report it to the appropriate department, or you can now report them by email if you prefer. If you have any old household items you need to dispose of, they will also come and remove them free of charge (unlike our old local authority who did charge for that, and the only time I did it I had to wait 2 weeks for them to come and take it away).

agoreira Oct 29th 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10356091)
We have a weekly refuse collection and a recycling collection fortnightly also a garden rubbish fortnightly.

Ours is still weekly as well, for everything, but we only put out glass every two or three weeks, I don't drink enough wine to do it every week! ;) Anything like dead fridges, washing machines etc, just phone the council and they collect for free. Funny that!

Dick Dasterdly Oct 29th 2012 7:58 pm

Some of the Basura collection points in the mainly Spanish areas are little short of shocking and a major health hazard.

Many in rural areas are just once a week collections, so if some idiot comes along and fills the bins up with a pile of garden trash then everyone else simply dumps their rubbish bags close by.

What with stray dogs tearing them to bits and tramps raking about in them, it's no time at all before the whole area is infested with rats, and lots of other stuff is left to blow freely all over the campo and never ever gets cleaned up at all.

agoreira Oct 29th 2012 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10356241)
Some of the Basura collection points in the mainly Spanish areas are little short of shocking and a major health hazard.

Many in rural areas are just once a week collections, so if some idiot comes along and fills the bins up with a pile of garden trash then everyone else simply dumps their rubbish bags close by.

What with stray dogs tearing them to bits and tramps raking about in them, it's no time at all before the whole area is infested with rats, and lots of other stuff is left to blow freely all over the campo and never ever gets cleaned up at all.

Agree, very often punto limpio is a bit of a misnomer! Few settees, couple of fridges etc, and if that's full, just throw it down some barranco.

Jaques2go Oct 30th 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10355692)
I think you're dead right to be cautious about making the leap. Why not rent a place in the countryside here for a couple of months just off-season, say May-June or September-October? You should still be able to get something nice for €400 a month, not sure about a pool but you'd certainly be able to enjoy the outdoor life.

thanks, we intend doing just that next year........:thumbup:

jackytoo Oct 30th 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10356103)
Help needed again with our place in the sun
With the house there is a small pool about 3.5m x 3.5m
Which the water has gone a bit green will I have to pump out
All the water and give the pool a good scrub or can I use
Chemicals to clean up the water. We are still waiting for a moving date
Thanks all

Brought this to the top for you as they are too busy with another pissing contest:lol:

I am not a pool expert but it is unlikely that you will need to empty it. A few on here know all about them if they see this. Good luck...hows it going?

patontheback Oct 30th 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for that, still waiting on the solicitor very frustrating
As we can't book our flights yet

me me Oct 31st 2012 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 10355297)
And of course with education, parents have to pay a considerable amount for books, equipment etc which run into hundreds of pounds per child. As someone said, they were paying hundreds extra a month for medicines, JLFS used to tell us his parents were paying a huge amount for medicines. Throw in dental care for the kids, I've said before friends of ours were well into four figures to get their son's teeth sorted. People in urbanisations can pay some large figures in charges every month, second hand cars are crazy prices, high broadband prices, but these things rarely get a mention. But I have learnt here that €3 menu del dia's are great value.

JLFS did not say that his parents paid a lot for prescriptions, it was another family member, his parents have always said that they would never return to Spain to live.

They remembered the bad times and although they missed certain things from Galicia, had made the UK their permanent home.

BTW another family member who is self employed has got a very bad dose of shingles, and has just been told that their entitlement to sick pay has finished even though the pain of the shingles still exists.

Apparently the maximum that a self employed person get sick pay from the government for shingles is 34 days, of course if you are not fit to go back to work you don't have to, but the money stops. So for some they have to return to work fit or not.

Sam Greenfield Oct 31st 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jaques2go (Post 10355181)
On these new place in the sun progs. they are saying how much cheaper than Britain the cost of living is in spain, i know the council tax is, mine is £145 a monthin Hastings, but the last time we came to look at property with the intention of buying, we stayed for a month in Pego, we love the area around oliva and the beaches there, we found that food/toiletries were much more expensive generally than in Britain. Simple things like a bar of soap, we use pure vegetable soap, around 90p for 4 bars, its hard to even buy a bar of soap in that area, they seem to have just liquid soap. Also we can only eat wholemeal bread and in spain its expensive, just 2 every day items - we went to several supermarkets so looked around. We also noticed baby products such as nappy cream, £8 a tube from chemist, and the day to things you need for a sprog plus childrens clothing cost at least twice as much unless they were from a market. I would think for families on a tight budget or pensioners, it would be a probem, but i would like to hear from others who live there full time.

Weve holidayed in Oliva a few times and over the other side of Spain in Ayamonte and we find Spain far far cheaper than the UK - im not sure what types of things you are buying - if for example you are buying English stuff then yes it does work out expensive - but if you buy Spanish stuff its so much cheaper - the fruit, veg and meat are much cheaper in Spain and the fruit and veg taste how they should taste xxxxx