British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   A Place in the sun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/place-sun-774736/)

patontheback Oct 15th 2012 9:17 pm

A Place in the sun

I am tv tomorrow a place in the sun on 4
11am uk time but what one do I buy?
You decide help please

Mitzyboy Oct 15th 2012 10:49 pm

Re: A Place in the sun

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10332622)
I am tv tomorrow a place in the sun on 4
11am uk time but what one do I buy?
You decide help please

? :huh:

Novocastrian Oct 16th 2012 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10332748)
? :huh:

Just passing by, but WTF? :rofl:

dorishaslop Oct 16th 2012 5:18 am

according to my telly, it's a man and his son looking to buy a home in Tarragona. and he would like our help to help him decide. I thought these programmes were years out of date as we watch them every week, maybe this is a new series?? But I'll be watching just to see which they choose lol

bealerDSB Oct 16th 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10332942)
Just passing by, but WTF? :rofl:

I second that :thumbup:
DSB.

bxpuser24710519 Oct 16th 2012 6:21 am

Cynic that I am, I see the user name, then the post content and think do they need our help ?

Rosemary Oct 16th 2012 6:42 am

Originally Posted by dorishaslop (Post 10333059)
according to my telly, it's a man and his son looking to buy a home in Tarragona. and he would like our help to help him decide. I thought these programmes were years out of date as we watch them every week, maybe this is a new series?? But I'll be watching just to see which they choose lol

Well the OP did ask this question a couple of weeks ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5#post10298585

Rosemary

patontheback Oct 16th 2012 7:29 am

i just put the post on for a bit of fun really. yes this is a new show which we filmed in July this year. it was a really interesting experience the way they build the show around you. and yes i am well on the way to buying one of the property's they took us to, thanks to the advice i was given on this forum of which i took the advice i was given it has save me from the pitfalls i nearly fell into.

jackytoo Oct 16th 2012 8:54 am

It's a new series, been on for a couple of weeks. New same old though. Yesterday a couple were looking in France they wanted something with space for a gite to get some income...was hearing that 10 years ago.:rofl:

Domino Oct 16th 2012 10:14 am

perhaps the gite shouldn't have an "e" on it

:rofl:

jimenato Oct 16th 2012 10:18 am

Nice Shirt!;)

patontheback Oct 16th 2012 11:36 am

Cheers not seen it yet watching it tonight
With the family

jackytoo Oct 16th 2012 11:40 am

So which did you buy, if any? Liked the first one but a bit isolated. Last one was ideal but a bit small for your family.

Lynn R Oct 16th 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10333175)
i just put the post on for a bit of fun really. yes this is a new show which we filmed in July this year. it was a really interesting experience the way they build the show around you. and yes i am well on the way to buying one of the property's they took us to, thanks to the advice i was given on this forum of which i took the advice i was given it has save me from the pitfalls i nearly fell into.

I saw the programme, it is interesting to hear from someone who has taken part in one as sometimes I wonder if they are all made up!

I do confess that watching these programmes was one of the factors that sowed the seed for the idea that I could move to Spain one day, so for that I am grateful. Watching "ordinary" people (for want of a better word) looking for properties abroad made me think "hang on a minute, if they can do it, why couldn't I?".

missile Oct 16th 2012 1:07 pm

Did anyone see the show where they wanted to buy a property with space for luxury :rofl: camping holidays?

Domino Oct 16th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 10333576)
I saw the programme, it is interesting to hear from someone who has taken part in one as sometimes I wonder if they are all made up!

I do confess that watching these programmes was one of the factors that sowed the seed for the idea that I could move to Spain one day, so for that I am grateful. Watching "ordinary" people (for want of a better word) looking for properties abroad made me think "hang on a minute, if they can do it, why couldn't I?".

perhaps an element of that for us, but we were shocked at the state of many of the properties being offered at idiotic prices.

patontheback Oct 16th 2012 1:46 pm

I am buying the upside down house
The 1st one on the show we should get the keys on the
23rd november it's me and the wife buying it
But she wouldn't go on tv. We are just normal working people
The show is not made up in anyway but it's not a free holiday as you film
For 9 hours a day for 5 days it takes about 7 hours to film one house you have to do every room 3 times. I really wanted to buy in cypress but thanks to a place in the sun I will be in Spain with all you lucky lot.
Cheers

missile Oct 16th 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10333722)
For 9 hours a day for 5 days it takes about 7 hours to film one house you have to do every room 3 times....

But you did get a free lunch :confused:

Hope you enjoy your new home. :starsmile:

Domino Oct 16th 2012 2:05 pm

For 9 hours a day for 5 days it takes about 7 hours to film one house you have to do every room 3 times. I really wanted to buy in cypress but thanks to a place in the sun I will be in Spain with all you lucky lot.
Cheers

perhaps you meant Cyprus
or did you really mean a tree house
:confused:

and
:welcome: to Spain
enjoy
:drinkwine:

jackytoo Oct 16th 2012 2:23 pm

I think you made the right choice, a nice house for the money. Your family will havea great time:thumbsup:

patontheback Oct 16th 2012 3:36 pm

yes all was paid for by channel 4, flights, hotel, food just had to pay for the car park at luton

Lynn R Oct 16th 2012 3:36 pm

Cheers

I hope you'll both be very happy there, it did look a nice house.

jackytoo Oct 16th 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10333918)
yes all was paid for by channel 4, flights, hotel, food just had to pay for the car park at luton

No expenses...tightfisted barstewards:sneaky:

Rosemary Oct 16th 2012 7:21 pm

Can you pop a couple of photos on for those of us who do not have English TV?

Rosemary

jackytoo Oct 18th 2012 10:31 am

Valencia is on right now...you watching Stevie:starsmile:

steviedeluxe Oct 18th 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10337145)
Valencia is on right now...you watching Stevie:starsmile:

thx for the nod (although a bit late to see most of the programme). :thumbup:
I'm out in Valencia next week to discuss a biz venture with someone, but I won't get much chance to look around residential areas - that will be something lined in for next year (along with a trip to Granada).

jackytoo Oct 18th 2012 12:58 pm

Well they bought, seemed a really nice couple. Their excitement was almost infectious:D

Lynn R Oct 18th 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10337391)
Well they bought, seemed a really nice couple. Their excitement was almost infectious:D

I caught the programme this afternoon on 4seven, and was surprised by how cheap the properties were for a major city, and a nice one like Valencia with a beach practically on your doorstep, at that. I don't think I would want to live in any of them full time, but that top floor apartment in the renovated building would have made a decent holiday home - if only there was a lift!

missile Oct 18th 2012 2:31 pm

The one they bought overlooked a nice square, but the kitchen was dreadful. I prefered the renovated one too. That building looked very nice and finished to a high standard.

tommy.irene Oct 19th 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 10334337)
Can you pop a couple of photos on for those of us who do not have English TV?

Rosemary

You can watch free UK TV on filmon .com or expats shield.com on your computer..

Countryboy1 Oct 19th 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10334156)
No expenses...tightfisted barstewards:sneaky:

Expenses? For what? Hotel & food provided, not much more to pay for surely?
And, money saved because food didn't need buying as would have been necessary at home.
Tightfisted?

jackytoo Oct 19th 2012 11:26 am

They are a commercial programme maker earning millions (probably) out of the series...why shouldn't they get appearance money:confused:.

cricketman Oct 19th 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10338959)
They are a commercial programme maker earning millions (probably) out of the series...why shouldn't they get appearance money:confused:.

I doubt it. Have you seen the state of the finances of the commercial television stations?

Not good

Even worse in Spain. They couldn't even afford 700k to show the Belarus Spain football game last week. They cant raise that much money from sponsors any more

Pocaloca Oct 19th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10339139)
I doubt it. Have you seen the state of the finances of the commercial television stations?

Not good

Even worse in Spain. They couldn't even afford 700k to show the Belarus Spain football game last week. They cant raise that much money from sponsors any more

But you can watch Pedrito's lovely hat-trick here!

Kath Las Colinas Oct 20th 2012 9:00 pm

We have just watched the Tarragona program on 4seven; the first property was by far the best. we liked the last one too but it was much too small. I hope you will be very happy there and good luck with everything.
Kath

patontheback Oct 21st 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks all for the good wishes

bob_bob Oct 21st 2012 7:04 pm

I enjoyed the programme and wish all the best to the new owners of the 'upside down house' which looking at would make for an easy conversion of the ground flour adding even more room if needed.

bealerDSB Oct 22nd 2012 3:52 am

Originally Posted by bob_bob (Post 10342365)
I enjoyed the programme and wish all the best to the new owners of the 'upside down house' which looking at would make for an easy conversion of the ground flour adding even more room if needed.

I would leave as is, after all it is cooler downstairs, therefore the bedrooms are already there. Plus, you would lose all the views from the living / kitchen area.

I was constantly draw to this statement 'upside down house' on the show and found it a negative statement, say it once; but all the time? I personally felt that the arrangement worked well in the house, more than most I've seen over the years.

It's not upside down in that climate, it is actually correct.
DSB.

patontheback Oct 22nd 2012 7:40 am

I should find out today the date we get the house, all very exciting i have been told there are 2 types of bottled gas, what one should i use ?

thanks

Rosemary Oct 22nd 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by patontheback (Post 10343019)
I should find out today the date we get the house, all very exciting i have been told there are 2 types of bottled gas, what one should i use ?

thanks

If I were you I would have a look around when you come over and see which gas is more readily available because we might advise you to buy one and the other be far more available in your area. I know that the gas I buy is easy to buy in lots of places near to me but my neighbour has to rely on the delivery lorry or go slightly further afield when she runs out.

Also there may already be gas bottles in the house and it is cheaper to use them rather than to start buying a different one because in order to buy your first gas bottles you sign a contract for the number required and pay for the bottles complete with gas and after that it is cheaper because you are only paying for the refill.

Rosemary