Pets in Spain?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Surrey now, Almeria soon.
Posts: 284
toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

My understanding was that you have the blood test 30 days after the injection to establish that the injection has had the desired effect, and that no successful blood test = no certificate. Maybe I've been misinformed?
toyboy23 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:16 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: sheffield & place in la marina
Posts: 518
jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by toyboy23
My understanding was that you have the blood test 30 days after the injection to establish that the injection has had the desired effect, and that no successful blood test = no certificate. Maybe I've been misinformed?
yes that's true you need a successful blood test result to obtain a passport, but you can export pets to other countries without a passport The passport is needed for return into Britain but you cannot return untill 6 months after the successful blood test. If you are leaving britain and not going to return then you can export but still wise to have rabies vacc.
jeanc is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
  #18  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by toyboy23
My understanding was that you have the blood test 30 days after the injection to establish that the injection has had the desired effect, and that no successful blood test = no certificate. Maybe I've been misinformed?
We have a passport for Bennie (very old pussy) but it states that we never had the blood test done to see if the jab took, so if we wanted to take him back to the UK we would have to have the Rabbis shot (btw that is every year here in Spain) and then have the blood test done and then wait stated amount of time before we could take him back.
crispy is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:54 pm
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: sheffield & place in la marina
Posts: 518
jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by crispygirl
We have a passport for Bennie (very old pussy) but it states that we never had the blood test done to see if the jab took, so if we wanted to take him back to the UK we would have to have the Rabbis shot (btw that is every year here in Spain) and then have the blood test done and then wait stated amount of time before we could take him back.
yes 6 months.. & britain is very strict. we had a client last year, had left england, through france into spain on his return in dover customs noted that the vet had stamped the passport but had misssed the signature off somewhere, the dog spent a week in quarrentine in dover whilst it got sorted out!!
jeanc is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:58 pm
  #20  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,193
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

It is a legal requirement that a DOG must be microchipped, cats do not need to be, but it helps in case you lose one. One of the things that the charity I work for insists on checking BEFORE we take them in, if they are chipped we cannot take them in as they have a registered owner.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:06 pm
  #21  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by jeanc
yes 6 months.. & britain is very strict. we had a client last year, had left england, through france into spain on his return in dover customs noted that the vet had stamped the passport but had misssed the signature off somewhere, the dog spent a week in quarrentine in dover whilst it got sorted out!!



jeanc

I understand what you are saying I was just saying that if you see no reason why you would want to take your pet back to the UK you do not need the blood test. My cat is 19 and a really bad traveller now at his age I would not want to put him through the trauma of vets, cattery, flight etc again. Although he is in good health for his age he is still very traumatise by the whole thing and to do it again would just about finish him off. Obviously if people have young pets that travel well or they think there may be a chance they will want to go back then it should be done.
crispy is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:11 pm
  #22  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It is a legal requirement that a DOG must be microchipped, cats do not need to be, but it helps in case you lose one. One of the things that the charity I work for insists on checking BEFORE we take them in, if they are chipped we cannot take them in as they have a registered owner.
I think the cat must be chipped before the passport is issued, well a least that is my understanding, jeanc would know more about this.
crispy is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:48 pm
  #23  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,193
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I think the cat must be chipped before the passport is issued, well a least that is my understanding, jeanc would know more about this.
Sorry, what I meant was that dogs brought into, or bought or acquired in Spain must be microchipped, but a cat you buy or acquire need not be.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:54 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: sheffield & place in la marina
Posts: 518
jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I think the cat must be chipped before the passport is issued, well a least that is my understanding, jeanc would know more about this.
Any animal even a hamster would have to be chipped if it wants a passport. the passport no and chip no belong together. The microchip no has to even be on the blood test result
jeanc is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:57 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: sheffield & place in la marina
Posts: 518
jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by crispygirl
jeanc

I understand what you are saying I was just saying that if you see no reason why you would want to take your pet back to the UK you do not need the blood test. My cat is 19 and a really bad traveller now at his age I would not want to put him through the trauma of vets, cattery, flight etc again. Although he is in good health for his age he is still very traumatise by the whole thing and to do it again would just about finish him off. Obviously if people have young pets that travel well or they think there may be a chance they will want to go back then it should be done.
If I was going and knew I was never coming back i would not go to the expense of a passport.. But if there is a chance you would return you would be best to passport here and just keep vaccs up to date in spain or wherever then if needs be even at short notice you could return
jeanc is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:10 pm
  #26  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by jeanc
Any animal even a hamster would have to be chipped if it wants a passport. the passport no and chip no belong together. The microchip no has to even be on the blood test result
My daughter took a rabbit and a guinea pig to UK and all they needed was a certificate of good health.
Apparently they are classed as vermin. ;-)
jdr is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:48 pm
  #27  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by Nacnud
How many domestic pets are you allowed? Is it like in the UK where people are generally ok providing there's no nuisance?

I'm hoping to move to a place just outside town with no immediate neighbours or busy roads but I have 4 dogs and 1 cat. I'd be sad to leave any number of them behind
I know some one who lives in a house that sounds like yours..........she has 3 dogs & at least a dozen cats

The dogs have escaped the pen a few times...very big dogs.......& terrorised the neighbours - but until this started happening no-one was bothered
lynnxa is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:26 pm
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Axarquia
Posts: 273
sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by jdr
My daughter took a rabbit and a guinea pig to UK and all they needed was a certificate of good health.
Apparently they are classed as vermin. ;-)

Is this the same to Spain? We want to bring out a rabbit and guinea-pig - Do we actually need any sort of certificate or can we just bring them?
sunnydee is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:09 pm
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: sheffield & place in la marina
Posts: 518
jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Originally Posted by sunnydee
Is this the same to Spain? We want to bring out a rabbit and guinea-pig - Do we actually need any sort of certificate or can we just bring them?
ring your vet and just ask advice you may need a health certificate to say they are fit and well enough to travel. or don't bother n just put em in your pocket
jeanc is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:24 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Axarquia
Posts: 273
sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all
Default Re: Pets in Spain?

Thanks Jean - also
We did just think we could drive them over in their hutch. They will both be just under 3 and are healthy enough at the moment.
sunnydee is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.