Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Petition for continued rights to healthcare...

Petition for continued rights to healthcare...

Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition for continued rights to healthcare...

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's not fair, but neither is the rule about pension increases. The difference here is that they may remove something that we previously were entitled to. That is different to moving to a country where you know in advance that you will not be entitled to it.

You knew that when you emigrated, we did not.
I would never make any major or long term decision based on the assumption that any government allowance, concession, or subsidy will continue indefinitely.

Although I picked up making Class 2 NI contributions after a gap of a number of years, my working theory is still that the government will start means testing state pensions and deprive me of most if not all of my pension. Therefore I have been paying Class 2 NI contributions on the basis that either I will retire wealthy and get nothing but not care because the contributions were peanuts or I'll retire with more modest income and be glad that I chipped in a few extra pounds to increase my income.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 26th 2016 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The difference here is that they may remove something that we previously were entitled to. That is different to moving to a country where you know in advance that you will not be entitled to it.

You knew that when you emigrated, we did not.
Yes that is true Fred however I am not sure that this petition is clear. Is it that current ex pat pensioners in EU countries should continue to get free treatment or is it that the current arrangements should stand whereby once one reaches state retirement age they get free treatment? There are many people like myself bought pre retiremnt age in the belief that on retirement they could move over and get free health care but after 23 June?? Talk of fairness well we know life isn't fair. However what would be unjust would be if those that are currently retirement age continue to get free treatment whilst those that when they do reach state retirement age don't.After all we have all paid our dues in tax NI etc through our working life. I suppose we just have to wait and see what the outcome is.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 27th 2016 at 9:31 am. Reason: correcting quotes
Old Aug 27th 2016, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

It's not inconsistent as the Spanish government do the same for their pensioners in the UK. All that we are asking for is that the reciprocal arrangement continues.

You are only entitled to this deal if you have a State pension which means that you have paid many years worth of NI contributions in the UK.

The fact that the US and the UK do not wish to have such an arrangement is up to them. Under EU law the UK is obliged to have this arrangement with other EU states, but there is nothing to stop them continuing it after Brexit.

I would guess that the reason that the UK don't like the idea of a similar arrangement with the US is because of covering the huge US costs compared to the UK.
As a matter of interest Fred, what happens with UK citizens who are entitled to a full Spanish state pension, having contributed to the Spanish social security system for the requisite number of years, who then move back to the UK and use the NHS? Does the Spanish government have to pay the UK for use of the NHS and, if so, could this change as a result of Brexit?

iant
Old Aug 27th 2016, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iant
As a matter of interest Fred, what happens with UK citizens who are entitled to a full Spanish state pension, having contributed to the Spanish social security system for the requisite number of years, who then move back to the UK and use the NHS? Does the Spanish government have to pay the UK for use of the NHS and, if so, could this change as a result of Brexit?

iant
Surely from what you say you mean move back permenentaly ? In that case you would be UK resident and NHS care is residency based so Spain wouldn't come into it.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 12:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iant
Does the Spanish government have to pay the UK for use of the NHS and, if so, could this change as a result of Brexit?

iant
It's a reciprocal arrangement so the answer would be yes. It is an obligation if you are a member of the EU. After Brexit both sides would have to decide whether they wanted to continue it or not. It isn't funded with EU money so there is no reason why it should not continue if both sides agree as it is mutually beneficial.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 12:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Is it that current ex pat pensioners in EU countries should continue to get free treatment or is it that the current arrangements should stand whereby once one reaches state retirement age they get free treatment? .
The petition asks "We call upon the Government of the United Kingdom to commit to maintaining the current healthcare arrangements for British pensioners living in an EU country."

As the current arrangement is reciprocal one has to assume that it would work both ways if approved.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The petition asks "We call upon the Government of the United Kingdom to commit to maintaining the current healthcare arrangements for British pensioners living in an EU country."

As the current arrangement is reciprocal one has to assume that it would work both ways if approved.
Hopefully that will be the case for all state pension retirees, obviously one of many issues that need sorting out and yet I still constantly read Brexit voter saying invoke article 50 now! Without any plan being formulated for the follow on negotiations, that to me would be a road to nowhere.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

It's a reciprocal arrangement so the answer would be yes. It is an obligation if you are a member of the EU. After Brexit both sides would have to decide whether they wanted to continue it or not. It isn't funded with EU money so there is no reason why it should not continue if both sides agree as it is mutually beneficial.
Thanks Fred, that is what I had assumed.
iant
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

nothing as been said about renegotiating any agreements with any states or any other agreements with none EU/EEA countries for that matter

these agreements are between individual countries Brexit will not automatically cancel them and it would take decades to renegotiate them all and why fix something that is not broken?

I think this petition is a bit premature
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:12 am

I think that the fact that the government speedily removed our right to the Winter Fuel Allowance for very questionable reasons weighs heavily in people's memories.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the fact that the government speedily removed our right to the Winter Fuel Allowance for very questionable reasons weighs heavily in people's memories.
Good point but that decision was taken by the UK as a member of the EU and has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
Good point but that decision was taken by the UK as a member of the EU and has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.
Not sure I agree with that. The decision was clearly politically motivated because the UK was forced to pay winter fuel allowance by an ECJ ruling. Whatever the views of the ruling or even the payment of winter fuel allowance, its that sort of ruling which influenced the thinking of people in the UK, whipped up by the media, towards voting for Brexit.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Aug 28th 2016 at 4:09 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
Not sure I agree with that. The decision was clearly politically motivated because the UK was forced to pay winter fuel allowance by an ECJ ruling. Whatever the views of the ruling or even the payment of winter fuel allowance, its that sort of ruling which influenced the thinking of people in the UK, whipped up by the media, towards voting for Brexit.
Yes and also a win win situation for the government. Other than trying to get a cheap holiday from expats in the sun, the majority of those in the UK have green eyed monster syndrome.There is little compassion shown for losing any perk as they see it, just envy I'm afraid.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:05 pm

Quite right. Just read the comments on such subjects in rags like the Daily Mail and Express. If we all sank without trace they would be cheering.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quite right. Just read the comments on such subjects in rags like the Daily Mail and Express. If we all sank without trace they would be cheering.
Does feel like that sometimes.