British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Pet Yorkshire Terrier and Leishmaniasis. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/pet-yorkshire-terrier-leishmaniasis-457507/)

Grazy Jun 11th 2007 3:40 pm

Pet Yorkshire Terrier and Leishmaniasis.

Hi All,

We lost our last Yorkshire terrier 2 ½ years ago to Leishmaniasis.

We now have another Yorkie and have heard differing reports about the effectiveness of vaccinating against this terrible disease.

Is there a way to protect the dog we have now against Leishmaniasis???????

Grazy Jun 11th 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Pet Yorkshire Terrier and Leishmaniasis.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

We now have another Yorkie and have heard differing reports about the effectiveness of vaccinating against this terrible disease.

jdr Jun 11th 2007 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Grazy (Post 4900497)
Hi All,

There are quite a few on here with pets so I am sure you will soon get advice.

Grazy Jun 11th 2007 3:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks! It was a very unpleasant experience loosing our pet to this terrible disease. Your words are most encouraging!

Pam Sarky Jun 11th 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grazy (Post 4900497)
Hi All,

Hi Grazy,

I havent heard of a vaccination against Leishmaniasis. I have a Maltese terrier and just have the Scalibor collar on him. There is a (people call it) heart tablet that you can give your dog once a month. Sam (Brisca) should be back up and running in the next day or so, fingers crossed and I am sure she will be able to help you.

Sam

jjh Jun 11th 2007 5:49 pm

Hi

There isn't a vaccination again Leishmaniosis. The only thing you can do is to get a scalibor collar and change it every six months and keep the dogs in, if you can, at dusk. Apparently, this disease can be treated if caught early enough, however I do believe it's a lengthy process.

The other disease to watch out for is heartworm. This can be prevented by either a yearly vaccination or a liquid given by mouth at the same time every month.

If you do a search on google, it will bring up lots of information.

Good luck

JJ

cerrillo Jun 11th 2007 6:44 pm

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your Yorkie. in 2003 I brought with me my beautiful Australian Terrier, Alfie, and a year ago he died - eventual diagnosis was Septiceamia (not sure if spelling correct) caused by what not known but possibly tick fever. I did lots of research on the internet and I believe for certain forms of tick fever there is now a vaccine but as far as I know it has not been in use long enough to know what the side effects are.
I have not discovered whether there is a vaccine for leishmania, but dont think so.

There are spot on treatments each month which cover all three main problems in one go of fleas, ticks and leishmania and the ones some of the vets recommend are Exspot or Advantix.

For Heartworm use Stronghold, not sure what forms this comes in but I use the tablet once a month.

Also of course as mentioned before the Scalibor collars.

I too now have another dog, I absolutely adore Australian Terriers and my Alfie was the most wonderful boy only 5 and a half when he died and I really only wanted another Aussie, but the puppy I have now needed a home and I succumbed she is a possible Yorkie/Aussie cross, mother is possibly an Australian Silky father unknown but thought possible Yorkie!!!!! she is certainly an odd little thing but great company.

Hope some of the above is useful and heres hoping our new dogs remain healthy.

betis Jun 11th 2007 9:23 pm

We have a boxer who caught leishmaniasis. We didn't know what it was until we took him the the vets and was confirmed by blood test. The vet was prepared to put him down and was surprised when we wanted him treated. Apparently the local people will not pay the fees required for the treatment. The treatment was 14 days of injections administered by ourselves and tablets for 90 days. The vet looked up the human equivalent of the drugs and gave us a prescription for the local farmacia as it would be cheaper. The chemist only gave us a months supply of tablets at a time in case the dog died. The treatment was a success although he will never be cured. The vet has before and after pictures of our dog on her wall. The cost of the treatment came to just under €100, a small price to pay. He now wears his scalibor collar and fingers crossed he will be okay.
Symptoms were weight loss, stiff movements, loss of hair on the face and sores which do not heal.

Grazy Jun 12th 2007 10:39 am

Hi All,

I was so sorry to here about Alfie.

My Yorkie (Cookie) first showed symptoms at the age of 5. He started to get inflammation around his nails. The vet would give him an injection and he’d be fine for months.

3 months prior to his 10th birthday the condition worsened and his feet became swollen and sore. He also lost all the hair on his head. He had to be carried a lot and wear socks when he walked.

2 vets did extensive lab tests on him and both thought that he had leishmaniasis. He was given tablets and regular steroid injections. In the end he was having to have this treatment every 2 weeks.

I won’t go into his last few weeks, but we decided that correct thing to do was to put him to sleep. I held him whilst the vet did it, so I was with him right to the end. I was so sad. Cookie had been a great friend for 10 years.

midget gem Jun 12th 2007 11:35 am

i have never hear of Leishmaniasis. can you please explain? what should i be looking out for?

jjh Jun 12th 2007 4:38 pm

Hi midget gem

Try this link.

http://www.future-of-vaccination.co....is-disease.asp

JJ

Grazy Jun 12th 2007 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by midget gem (Post 4903782)
i have never hear of Leishmaniasis. can you please explain? what should i be looking out for?

Hi,

When we lost our yorkie to Leishmaniasis the first symptoms were:

· Inflammation around the toenails
· Loss of hair near the nose

My advice would be to talk with a good vet about prevention, as once symptoms begin to present, it’s probably too late to save your dog.

Mrs P Jun 12th 2007 9:21 pm

We put the Scalibor collars on from April to October and never let them out at dawn or dusk. They come in before the sun has gone down and we keep the door shut apart from letting them out last thing at night. They have a blood test every year, in October and so far have not come back positive. They are 3 now. You can only do your best and I pray mine never get it either.

helen17 Jun 14th 2007 9:42 pm

I would recomend that with the scalibor collars, one month before they are due to espire, renew them, as they lose some of their strength and it is vital here in spain to keep protection. As well I use Frontline every month, my dog is worth everything to me and I will do all I can to protect her. We now also have a street dog we picked up in a terrible state 10 days ago, he has now been rabied up, micro chipped, guadix 7'd, wormed and castrated bless him! Talk about little and large, black and white, but they are getting on and becoming friends and co-horts! Life is never dull!

Grazy Jun 18th 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Hellen17,

It sounds like you’ve given your new dog the Full Monty. I always love to hear about people who really care about giving their dog a good life while also taking every measure to protect it. Well done!

Have you given him/her a name? Any chance of posting a picture for us to see this lovely dog?